Author Topic: Genghis Khan - How barbaric was he?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Genghis Khan - How barbaric was he?
« on: September 15, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »
So anyways, I was watching this movie called Mongol which is about the early life of Ghenghis Khan, I thought the movie was interested and well done, and it's nice to see a movie not out of hollywood for once (it was done by Russian filmmaker). The movie depicts Ghenghis Khan as noble, caring of his children and wife, willing to sacrifice his enemies, and a honorary stance of not killing women and children.

Now my world history class claims otherwise that he was a barbaric person, raped many women and held back technological advancements by 50 years (according to Iranians) as they claim he murdered Persians left and right.

Any opinions about this? I'm not a expert on Mongol history and it seems like theres not a whole lot known as most history was kept orally and not written.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Genghis Khan - How barbaric was he?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:12:28 PM »
I watched the documentary on him and they show that he did a lot good

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I watched the documentary on him and they show that he did a lot good

Well on IMDB, a lot of muslims and persians are complaining about the film, so I think I may support this and purchase it once it comes out on DVD.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Well on IMDB, a lot of Muslims and Persians are complaining about the film, so I think I may support this and purchase it once it comes out on DVD.

From what i watched on the documentary he showed them no mercy

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 02:42:03 PM »
He made pyriamids of moslem heads
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »

That's pretty crazy, the only way to fight savages is to have other savages fight them.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
I don't have my speakers plugged in but I recall enough about this video to think it's what I think it is.

Very amusing.

Origins of Yidden (the famous jewish song they do at barmitzvas and often at weddings)

btw, I always thought the star jumps were the GIRLS version of the dance.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »
Gengis Khan was an evil genocidal maniac. He genocide all of his enemies and the Muslims were unlucky enough to be on his way. However he committed genocides against the Chinese and other non Muslims. His son even invaded Poland and Hungary but then he turned back because of power struggle for the inheritance.

I think the Mongols did European civilization a great favor by inflicting such terrible damage to the great civilizations of the era- China and Persia.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »
Genghis Khan was as brilliant as he was vicious. He was, the military innovator, unifier, brilliant politician, courageous warrior, mass murderer and rapist - a terrible and a brilliant man.

He was neither against muslims nor against Christians. He made pyriamids of moslem heads, of Christian heads in Russia and of Buddhist heads in China. He killed everyone who resisted him and demolished everything that stood in his way. Mongols, similar to Romans, btw, would kill everything - men, children, women, old people, pets, farm animals to spread a terror and convince people that the cost of resistance is much higher than that of submission.

At the same time, concurred people were self-governed, they paid taxes (in slaves and goods), and they were free to keep their religions and traditions. Mongols did commit mass rape and murder, looting and arson. Still, I don't believe they were as terrible as muslims under Tamerlaine.

Could you simply explain Genghis Khan's war conduct as the norm of the time? Probably not completely - he raised terror to a different level. Whoever he was, under his leadership and inspiration mongols rose from an obscure wild feuding tribes to build the greatest land empire the world has ever known.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
Curses on Ghengis Khans bones...

This was a man of evil... No mercy on his soul...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
Genghis Khan was as brilliant as he was vicious. He was, the military innovator, unifier, brilliant politician, courageous warrior, mass murderer and rapist - a terrible and a brilliant man.

He was neither against muslims nor against Christians. He made pyriamids of moslem heads, of Christian heads in Russia and of Buddhist heads in China. He killed everyone who resisted him and demolished everything that stood in his way. Mongols, similar to Romans, btw, would kill everything - men, children, women, old people, pets, farm animals to spread a terror and convince people that the cost of resistance is much higher than that of submission.

At the same time, concurred people were self-governed, they paid taxes (in slaves and goods), and they were free to keep their religions and traditions. Mongols did commit mass rape and murder, looting and arson. Still, I don't believe they were as terrible as muslims under Tamerlaine.

Could you simply explain Genghis Khan's war conduct as the norm of the time? Probably not completely - he raised terror to a different level. Whoever he was, under his leadership and inspiration mongols rose from an obscure wild feuding tribes to build the greatest land empire the world has ever known.
Some of the genocides, especially against Chinese peasants, was not because the resisted, simply because they were too close to Mongolia and the Mongols wanted to push china back east.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
He did a lot of good...for his own people.
And slaughtered his enemies.

Isn't that the normal thing to do in war?

Or perhaps the way George W Bush does it is correct.

Imagine if George W was the leader of the Mongols instead. Mongolia would be just rubble waiting for archaeologists to dig up.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline George

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 12:34:55 AM »
He did a lot of good...for his own people.
And slaughtered his enemies.

Isn't that the normal thing to do in war?

Or perhaps the way George W Bush does it is correct.

Imagine if George W was the leader of the Mongols instead. Mongolia would be just rubble waiting for archaeologists to dig up.

He massacred innocent people so that's not normal that's evil. Just because Bush is wrong doesn't mean Genghis Khan was right. I'm surprised a Chinese person would say this.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 01:36:13 AM »
He massacred innocent people so that's not normal that's evil. Just because Bush is wrong doesn't mean Genghis Khan was right. I'm surprised a Chinese person would say this.

I didn't say I like the mass murderer.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »
I think you have to read from a lot of different sources to get an accurate picture of most historical figures. The version taught in school is almost always politically motivated. Think, the U.S. has a strong trading relationship with China right now. Would kids be being taught that Ghengis Khan was good in any way regardless of whether he was pure evil or not? I tend to think of him as being brutal and evil but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a brilliant military leader.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »
Genghis Khan was good for nothing, except that he was good for Muzzies. ;)

He destroyed Muzzies most mercilessly, but also in this process transferred to them the technology of Chemothermic warfare from the East without getting any copyright benefits.

Later the Muzzies were to most effectively use this Chemothermic warfare against Vaijentium and rest of Europe and the World.   
 >:(

There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 01:16:09 PM »
very good movie fyi...I happened to watch it a week ago or so.  If you do torrents there is a good dvd quality copy out finally to download, with no annoying russian voice over...just original language, with the english subs.
I don't know much about him, nor how historically accurate the film is...but it is worth a watch either way...if you enjoy a good historical epic with breathtaking landscape and cinematography.
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:56 PM »
very good movie fyi...I happened to watch it a week ago or so.  If you do torrents there is a good dvd quality copy out finally to download, with no annoying russian voice over...just original language, with the english subs.
I don't know much about him, nor how historically accurate the film is...but it is worth a watch either way...if you enjoy a good historical epic with breathtaking landscape and cinematography.

Yeah the one I downloaded was in Mongolian, but the subtitles were in Italian, I had to resplice the movie to add in proper english subtitles so they were timed right. The quality is dvd quality.

I can tell you the parts that were correct in the movie, it's true his father was poisoned by Tatars, and he married Borte, she was really raped by his mothers old husband and the tribes they fought were correct.

Jamukha was also a person who really existed and apparently he did really save his wife. There were parts that are not known if it really happened but the film was pretty accurate for much of the movie.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 02:03:53 PM »
 Genghis Khan for Knesset! He would be a great minister of defense when Chaim becomes a prime minister.  :soldier:
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:03 PM »
Genghis Khan for Knesset! He would be a great minister of defense when Chaim becomes a prime minister.  :soldier:

Well he'll have to be resurrected from the dead first.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »

As long as we apply his methods, we should be just fine.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »
As well did Timurlane with those of the Hindu and Sikhs. 

Genghis Khan, like any other imperialist, was a barbaric and ruthless monster to be hated by the conquered and the hero of the Mongols, even to this day.

To White, a good book on this subject is by Herald Lamb called "March of the Barbarians".  The most interesting portion of this book is the relationship to today with the revival of Islam.  There is a decidedly pointed and informative presentation using the Diary of Marco Polo to explain a personal dialogue Marco witnessed between Genghis Khan's grandson Kublai Khan and the chief Mullah within Khan's Yuan Dynasty during the 13th century. 

"Once listening to a reading from the Koran, he discovered taht it laid a command upon Moslems to kill unbelievers.  Summoning the chief Mullah to him, Khubilai asked if this were so.  The teacher of Islam admitted it.  "And you believe that this Koran has been given to you by G-d?" Khubilai demanded.  The Mullah assented.  "Then why do you not obey its command and slay those who do not believe as you do?"  "Because the time has not come, and because we are unable to do it yet."  "But I am able to do it," Khubilai assured him and ordered the execution of the Mullah." - March of the Barbarians by Harold Lamb page 267.

Further, persecutions and expulsions of the Mohammedans savages became policy throughout Cathay following this confrontation. 
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.