Author Topic: Proof: Some cats are stealing food from the pantry  (Read 932 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Proof: Some cats are stealing food from the pantry
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:32:50 AM »

Some cats are stealing food from the pantry, but this picture by Niclaes Maes shows us too where lazyness can lead to. In this case to the loss of property.

Here is an original description of the picture:

PLATE 62.—NICOLAES MAES (1632-1693)
DUTCH SCHOOL

" THE IDLE SERVANT "

NICOLAES MAES was a pupil of Rembrandt. From him he acquired a love of chiaroscuro, though he never learnt to handle that dangerous artifice with the profundity of his master. What was in Rembrandt almost a law of his imagination becomes in Macs merely a mannerism, a trick of emphasis. He concentrates his high lights upon the figure or group of figures which he wishes to bring into prominence, and fills in the background with dark shadows, often warm and pleasantly atmospheric in their effect, but in this picture inclined to turn into a brown fog that soaks up light like a sponge, and blurs rather than stresses the contrasts he intended to produce.
The subject is treated with a good-natured sense of humour. Hogarth would have given us a much more racy version, but we are arrested by the episode, and the two chief figures are rendered in an exceedingly life-like way. Less happy is the glimpse of the farther room. The murk to which we have referred has settled there quite unmistakably. His painting lacks crispness of touch, and the result is a rather woolly texture.
The truth is that the virtue of genre pictures of this type, and of the relatively small-scale Dutch conversation pieces, depends to a great extent on the vivacity of the artist's handling and the perfection of his finish. When these are not of an outstanding quality there is often little left, beyond some passing pleasure of anecdote, to claim our attention.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:38:07 AM by Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Proof: Some cats are stealing food from the pantry
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »
You can see this type of satire in some of the paintings in the late baroque, early classical movement.  Goya especially adapted this style, though in a far more subtle way.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »
You can see this type of satire in some of the paintings in the late baroque, early classical movement.  Goya especially adapted this style, though in a far more subtle way.

I have looked up Goya's pictures.

Some are nice, but the vast majority is a little bit creepy.

http://eeweems.com/goya/artpage_index.html

Here is an interesting one: http://eeweems.com/goya/for_being_a_jew.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:21:02 AM by Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:41:12 AM »

I have looked up Goya's pictures.

Some are nice, but the vast majority is a little bit creepy.

http://eeweems.com/goya/artpage_index.html

Here is an interesting one: http://eeweems.com/goya/for_being_a_jew.html

I can't open the link.  Which painting is it?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:20:53 AM by Pheasant »

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
I don't know why art critics don't like that picture with the cat. I think it's great.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
I don't know why art critics don't like that picture with the cat. I think it's great.

I like it too, specially the lesson that we learn from it.

Do you think cat's have really such a thievy character?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 12:06:28 PM »

Like most animals they're opportunistic. To them it's not stealing because they don't understand property, unless they have something they dont' want taken away.  :laugh:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »

Feed your cats and they wont 'steal'. I wake up each day and feed my cats, before I eat. It is a Torah value to feed your animals before you, yourself, eat. My cats don't steal...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
I believe you Muman, but not all cats are as righteous as yours, look here:

It is obviously a gentile kitchen.

I don't think cat's have a sense for this ...  :::D

P.S.: I have no idea, how I have found this cat pictures.  :)

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »
But not all cats are like this:

"Reading Girl" by F. v. Ude

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
That last picture reminds me of when I was trying to study and I let Eva (the ferret) run around the room and I was writing something to do my homework. She grabbed the waving pen from my hand and ran off with it. lol