Author Topic: Help finding pickled tomatoes?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Help finding pickled tomatoes?
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »
Hey guys, I used to eat this stuff at bagel shops called "pickled tomatoes" and they were pretty dang good, my dad made them once as well I think with habanero peppers and they were good. I don't care if their super hot or just spicy/sour but I absolutely hate sweet tasting stuff. I have found a few places online that sell the tomatoes including one that is kosher, but they are all sweet flavored. Does anyone know a place to buy online the sour pickled green tomatoes? We don't have any places that have them here, but theres a turkish restaurant I go to sometimes and they have them for like salads. Maybe I can pay someone to ship them to me? :D

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Help finding pickled tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
Pickled tomatoes are actually not tomatoes at all, they are tomatillos and they are part of the pepper family.  I would go to a deli and ask them where they get them from.  Failing that, you can check out the specialty shops in your area.  There is also a section in Gourmet magazine that tells you where you can order specialty food items.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:46 PM »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
Pickled tomatoes are actually not tomatoes at all, they are tomatillos and they are part of the pepper family.  I would go to a deli and ask them where they get them from.  Failing that, you can check out the specialty shops in your area.  There is also a section in Gourmet magazine that tells you where you can order specialty food items.

Their not? I thought they were just unripened tomatoes that were pickled.

I don't really know any specialty shops in the area, but maybe I should ask that Turkish shop where they get them. How are they prepared that makes them kosher?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »
http://www.barryfarm.com/pickled_veggies.htm

Are those sour ones? They don't have a sweet taste by any chance do they? Sweet taste = yuck. If they are sour, i'm sold.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »
http://www.barryfarm.com/pickled_veggies.htm

Are those sour ones? They don't have a sweet taste by any chance do they? Sweet taste = yuck. If they are sour, i'm sold.

They should have both

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:54:57 PM »
I don't like sweet pickles either. Pickled tomatilloes sound good. I think I might have seen something like that on the shelves here in the ethnic section.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »

Their not? I thought they were just unripened tomatoes that were pickled.

I don't really know any specialty shops in the area, but maybe I should ask that Turkish shop where they get them. How are they prepared that makes them kosher?

I don't see why they wouldn't be kosher.  They are one of the acceptable fruits and would be considered pareve, I think.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »
Russians typically pickle things. If you find a Russian market or community, you can practically find anything pickled.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »
Russians typically pickle things. If you find a Russian market or community, you can practically find anything pickled.

I heard they even pickle watermellons, pretty crazy!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:15 PM »

I heard they even pickle watermellons, pretty crazy!

:yuck:

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »
I once had a pickled egg. Yuck. I'm not a fan of pickled food, but people have different tastes so I could see how people like it. A lot of Asian cultures eat salt with fruit. I once tried an apple with salt and did not like it, but I do like Mangos with salt. I'm sure their has to be some type of pickled food that I would like.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »
I once had a pickled egg. Yuck. I'm not a fan of pickled food, but people have different tastes so I could see how people like it. A lot of Asian cultures eat salt with fruit. I once tried an apple with salt and did not like it, but I do like Mangos with salt. I'm sure their has to be some type of pickled food that I would like.

Ever try pickled Onions?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »
Their a bunch of them at kosher stores. Once in a while my parents also make these themselves. (Actually I dont remember exactly if they did tomatoes, but for sure I remember pickles).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 10:53:53 PM »
I don't know if this will help but My dad used to put slices of cucumber into pickle juice from a pickle jar and it would pickle them. Maybe that would work with green tomatoes or tomatilloes.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »
I don't know if this will help but My dad used to put slices of cucumber into pickle juice from a pickle jar and it would pickle them. Maybe that would work with green tomatoes or tomatilloes.

It has to do with the vinegar in the water and salt

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »

Yeah my aunt would make pickles when we'd visit her, we would just buy cucumbers and scrub and clean them, then she used like parsley, onion, vinegar, salt, and I think that was it and we would leave them sitting for a number of weeks. They tasted pretty dang good too.

I don't know where to buy green/unripened tomatos tho.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 11:10:37 PM »

Yeah my aunt would make pickles when we'd visit her, we would just buy cucumbers and scrub and clean them, then she used like parsley, onion, vinegar, salt, and I think that was it and we would leave them sitting for a number of weeks. They tasted pretty dang good too.

I don't know where to buy green/unripened tomatos tho.

Grow them