Author Topic: Galil failed on me :(, getting rid of it  (Read 11621 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Galil failed on me :(, getting rid of it
« on: September 26, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »
Well, my Galil failed on me. After only a few hundred rounds, the things bursting casings and I lost headspace on it. Used a nogo guage and field guage and it swallows it up.

I sent the rifle out to Colorado and it turns out that the bolt lugs are deforming, it looks like the manufacturer didn't heat treat this area and the uzitalk forums are claiming this is a common problem.

What's worse, the manufacturer (American company Ohio Rapid Fire) who makes the receiver is blaming the Israeli parts claiming that they need to be filed down or machined to fit his out of spec receiver. I shouldn't have to machine anything, his receivers are not in spec. Basically the way the lugs are deforming and headspace being lost, the damn thing could have blown up in my face over time. The gun smiths are welding the bolt lugs which they claim will be able to get about 2000 rounds or so before it starts to go bad again. I'm really pissed off and thinking of selling this thing as parts and demilling the reciever.

I'm going to be buying a new rifle hopefully soon, a Czech VZ-58. My girlfriends offering to assist me with this financially.

If anyone wants to buy a Galil, avoid any garbage by Century Arms or Ohio Rapid Fire, they are not TRUE Galils, the receivers are made in US and out of spec. The only way to get a "true" Galil is via IMI which are banned for import so you have to fork out 3000 dollars for them.

What a waste for a peice of [censored] paperweight.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Galil failed on me :(, getting rid of it
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
How much to fix?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »
How much to fix?

The bolt lugs aren't really fixable, the receiver basically pounded it's self to death on lockup. What they can do is weld them and set the barrel back slightly. I'm calling my gunsmith to find out more details. I will be posting a video on youtube showing how the cases are bursting, the gas port was also too big which was causing too much pressure and causing the casings to bounce off the dust cover and stovepipe in the gun. That issue's been fixed, but the bolt lugs themselves aren't really fixable and I have no idea what the cost of heattreating this thing would be.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
Good luck

Offline FULL METAL JACKET

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 01:45:17 AM »
Well this is no surprise, ask any IDF soldier who has ever been fielded with this weapon and they will tell you its garbage. IDF soldiers hate it with a passion.
Formely known as "1986"

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »
Well this is no surprise, ask any IDF soldier who has ever been fielded with this weapon and they will tell you its garbage. IDF soldiers hate it with a passion.

Most Israelis tell me that it was a reliable weapon except that it was heavy, the version I have is not a true Galil, it's a clone with a American receiver hence I said this is not a true Galil due to the import ban.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:55:37 PM »
Gun smiths sending me back my rifle, supposed to get it today or tomorrow, they set the barrel back and it's no longer stovepipeing (gas port was too big apparently), lets see how this works out.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »

Most Israelis tell me that it was a reliable weapon except that it was heavy, the version I have is not a true Galil, it's a clone with a American receiver hence I said this is not a true Galil due to the import ban.
Right on, its wait is the main drawback. The problem which you describe couldn't possibly be a common flaw of the real Galil assault rifle. Some versions of the Galil were actually used as light machine gun. 

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
Well I've got some good news, took it out to the range about 2 weeks ago and the rifle didn't stovepipe once, this was with Serbian Prvi Partizan 5.56 x 45 ammunition (brass), Aquila Mexican Ammo .223, Czech Sellier-Bellot .223, and Russian WOLF .223. I was mainly getting stovepipes with the Aquila in the past and now it looks like the problems are gone. The gun smith fixed the gas port as it was too big and set the barrel back.

The rifle was extremely accurate, I was really surprised, the bolt lugs appear to be fine and the receiver is ok, but I don't know how the rifle will last long term, I put about 105 rounds downrange without any significant problems or brass stretching. Brass stretching is usually a sign of headspace loss. I'm a little nervous about this rifle as a primary weapon but I may as well shoot the hell out of it until I can no longer use it, just a shame that it wasn't built to the same specs as the Israeli receivers. Then again, I might be lucky and maybe the receiver has "set it's self in" but I will have to periodically keep an eye on the lugs. If I can get to the 1000 round mark without any problems, I think i'll be confident with the build, but I definitely don't trust the company Ohio Rapid Fire who offers the receivers.

Personally I feel it was a waste of $1000.00 when I bought it at the time, what's even more sad is that you can get them with Century Arms for $599.99 since all the companies are closing out, then again the Century stuff is made to even worse specs since the guys get paid like 50 cents an hour to assemble them and use like a spraypaint type of finish. The prices are slowly going back up though since parts kits are extremely scarce for Galils now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:58:14 PM by White Israelite »

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:53:54 PM »
Get yourself a nice revolver.

:::D

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »

Already have one, just don't have pictures, the only guns that I post pictures of are the ones I bought at gun stores ;)

Taurus .44 magnum revolver

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »

Already have one, just don't have pictures, the only guns that I post pictures of are the ones I bought at gun stores ;)

That's a big one.

How bout a nice compact S&W .357?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »

That's a big one.

As long as it's not made from any cast parts, my dad had a nice Dan Wesson .44 magnum, those Dan Wessons are nice (not related to Smith & Wesson)

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »

That's a big one.

As long as it's not made from any cast parts, my dad had a nice Dan Wesson .44 magnum, those Dan Wessons are nice (not related to Smith & Wesson)

Don't you have anything smaller?

Them things is for huntin' grizzly bears!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 04:07:30 PM »

That's a big one.

Don't you have anything smaller?

Them things is for huntin' grizzly bears!

The only other handguns I have are .45 ACP, my moms boyfriend has a Rossi .38 revolver, I can probably get a .357 or something, but if it were S&W, it would have to be an older model as new ones are using casted parts which are prone to having less tensile strength compared to milled or forged.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 07:08:59 AM »
Israeli weapons are the best weapons!!! That's what I say and my dad say

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »
I agree George Bush the Hero! My dream is to have a baby Desert Eagle!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 03:23:32 AM »
I also wanna have a desert eagle. It's a nice hand gun

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 04:15:37 AM »
I want an Uzi! The Deagles are cool too though..

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 04:18:20 AM »
I wanna have also a UZI. And may I find somewhere a nuclear bomb... may I can buy on in Iran soon  ;D

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
Yes! Maybe if we ALL pitched in and bought a nuke from Iran, we could "return to sender"!  :::D :nuke:
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:53 PM »

Made in Iran only works in Iran  :laugh:

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »
Desert Eagles are expensive paper weights, not very good imo. I wouldn't mind an uzi or a tavor though.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 05:46:14 PM »
Tavor is awesome, totally forgot about that! Are those available to the public or still military issue only?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Tavor is awesome, totally forgot about that! Are those available to the public or still military issue only?

If you live in Canada you can get one, US, not yet.