Author Topic: I Think I Did Something Bad Last Night  (Read 905 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I Think I Did Something Bad Last Night
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »
In Hebrew, there's an expression called Lashon Hara, which literally means evil speech, on in other words, gossip. 

Normally, I don't care about other people's personal lives, and gossip doesn't really interest me.  But here's what happened last night, when I was at my parents house. 

I was in the kitchen helping my mother get ready for the dinner, when our conversation got to intermarriage.  My mother asked me what I thought should be done to keep Jews from marrying outside the religion.  So I made some basic suggestions.  Then I suddenly remembered the wife of my sister's brother in law, whose son had taken up with a non-Jewish girl a few years ago. 

I'll refer to the son as D. and the mother as S. 

So here goes.  A few years ago my family went to my sister's house for the Passover Seder.  S. was there, along with her husband and her son D.  I could tell that S. was very angry with D.  This was the time that D. was involved with that girl. 

Now for a little background.  S. is a very smart, prominent well to do lawyer.  Her husband A. is a brilliant Manhattan radiologist.  Unfortunately, they're both liberal Jews.  During that time, S. was the president of the degenerate B'nei Jeshurun Conservative so-called "Temple" on the ultra liberal Upper West Side of Manhattan. 

B'nei Jeshurun is a kind of swinging, non-religious place for single Manhattan Jews to hang out Friday nights.  It's a very p.c. kind of place.  They have a gay and lesbian group.  Shortly after 9/11, instead of conducting Jewish prayers, the rabbis decided to have everyone sing "We Shall Overcome."  And everyone did that, while holding hands and swaying side to side.  I mean, whatever happened to killing the terrorists? 

Another time when I was there, the rabbi was talking about how he was involved in the AIDS walk.  He went on and on about how everyone should be involved, and how important the AIDS crisis is, etc. 

On another note, as part of their singles group, they invited over some fakestinian man one night to bang some bongo drums -- I kid you not.  So suffice it to say, B'nei Jeshurun is a place for self-hating, liberal Jews to go for Friday nights, when they're in the mood for an aging hippie lovefest.  There's nothing religious about that place at all. 

Now getting back to young D. and his mother S. 

D. had his Bar Mitzvah ceremony at this degenerate B'nei Jeshurun.  The day of the ceremony, the "Temple" invited some fakestinian doctor who went to medical school in Israel as the speaker. 

Anyway, last night when I was in the kitchen with my mother, I brought up D. and S., since we were talking about intermarriage. 

I basically said to my mother that it was very hypocritical for S. to get so mad at her son, being that she was the president of such a degenerate, self hating synagogue, whose rabbis seemed to care more about the latest liberal chic causes than for helping Jews.  I mean, as president, couldn't S. have found some nice Jewish entertainment rather than having some Arab come and bang bongo drums?  And instead of those so-called rabbis going on about AIDS and Sudan, couldn't S. have pushed them to back Jewish causes also?  I mean, I can understand wanting your son to keep your religion.  But I thought S. should have looked into her role in confusing her son. 

So in the middle of my rant, in walked my older sister, who is a staunch Democrat, and who is a big admirer of S.  My sister told me it was not nice to judge S.  And she saw nothing wrong with that so-called Temple asking members to get involved in the AIDS walk or the Sudan genocide because of the importance of those issues.  So I told her that Jews should focus more on Jewish causes.  I mean, if they want to be involved with the other stuff, then fine.  But I said their priorities should be their fellow Jews. 

Anyway, my sister walked out of the kitchen into the dining room, kind of in a huff.  And that was the end of the conversation.  But I felt awkward the rest of the night. 

What do you guys think?  Did I put my foot in my mouth? 

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: I Think I Did Something Bad Last Night
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »
I think you said the right thing Lisa,
   as a Jew you must look out after your best interest first and not your enemies well being... but I guess that's how Liberal, Self Hating Jewish people behave.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »
No, Stand up against it. Keep your ground. The subject came up and you spoke your opinion. There is nothing wrong with what you said.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
Maybe your sister knew you would feel awkward by her walking out in a huff, and that's why she did it.

She lost the argument.. She'd have been better off putting something in her own mouth!

If that kind of thing didn't make you feel awkward, she might not have walked out in a huff.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »
Lisa- dont sweat it, that wasn't Lason Hara, and if anything it is a postivive thing if by saying it you keep you mom, sister, and yourself (and anyone else) farr away from such a place. It isn't lashon Hara becuase you are in a way warning people not to go there since it is a bad place which sins and causes others to sin. It is by no affect a sin to point that out and to warn people to stay farr away from such a place. It would even be a great Mitzva to tell that lady that she is a big sinner who causes others to sin, and even ask her why is she angry at her son (who is doing a very big sin) while she herself has rebelled agains't doing the proper thing and not only that but leads others to rebel (all together as a group).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I should also add that D. is no longer going with that non-Jewish girl.  On the other hand, he's working for the Obama campaign now. 

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I should also add that D. is no longer going with that non-Jewish girl.  On the other hand, he's working for the Obama campaign now. 
Substituting one Bad thing for Another... that's what happens when you dilute from the original view of Judism.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »
" And she saw nothing wrong with that so-called Temple asking members to get involved in the AIDS walk or the Sudan genocide because of the importance of those issues.  "

I agree it is stupid, and a Shul is not a place for these things. People should go to a real shul and hear Devri Torah from a good Rabbi who gives both Yirat Shamayim (The fear of heaven) and the Love of G-d, to the people who come and who says how to properly serve G-d, and to do Tishuva and follow the Halahot (Laws) correctly.
  the main problem I think you did was that you are arguing agins't the fact that they talk about aids, etc. which is also stupid, but the main argument is about having a "Temple" that doesn't follow G-d's laws, that has open gay and lesbo's, and all the other stiyot they have their (as I can see they break Shabbat their also).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
My sister's mother and father in law are also members there.  They like people start doing the hora dance in the aisles during the L'Cha Dodi prayer.   

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »
   You did the right thing. There is nothing Jewish about the Pagan synagogue B'nei Jeshurun. It is important to expose these selfhating Jews because they consume Jews that don't know better. Maybe we should create a group called Jews Against BJ on facebook.

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »
one wonders what the source of why they would go to such a shul is..

it's just to "have fun" and be amongst jews.. or something.

I've been to a secular wedding that is really just an excuse for a party. Was just irreligious though. Nothing reform.

I haven't seen a rosh hashana reform service.. or any reform service though.