Poll

Will you buy a gun before November elections?

Yes!
12 (40%)
No
3 (10%)
I want to but I can't
10 (33.3%)
I have no desire to own guns
1 (3.3%)
other
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Will you buy a gun before November elections?  (Read 27123 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Will you buy a gun before November elections?
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
After much thought, I worry that if I had a gun in my house, that Gd forbid my child woudl find it and think it's a toy and Gd forbid kill someone with it.

Take the kid out shooting.

Children that know about and respect guns don't shoot themselves or others accidentally.

On the contrary, children who are sheltered by gun-fearing parents are the ones who have 'accidents'.

I agree with Scriabin because I grew up with guns in my house and I knew not to touch them

that's because you are a good boy...

Scenario here, a kid who has never used a gun or been taught discipline about it is told "no stay away from guns", most kids are instinctive about being 'rebellious', it's natural to rebel against law and what your told. The child is at a friends house and finds the fathers gun and playing around with it like they see in the movies, wanting to play cops and robbers and someone is shot.

This has to do with lack of education.

I shot my first gun when I was about 10 years old, my dad had me in the basement with a shotgun, he had it setup for shooting. I remember the first time I shot it, I felt the recoil and saw what it did to the target, I knew guns weren't a joke and knew not to touch them after seeing what it could do to a person.

Kids who are taught to respect and use things the way they are meant to be usually grow up a much better person, look at most city kids to country kids, most city (suburbanite) kids are spoiled little brats who go out and do whatever they want, no respect for anything. It's all about getting drunks, getting laid, and taking no responsibility for their actions.

A lot of these southern country boys grew up in the stick working hard and earning what they have. I'd rather be living next to southern boys than some northern nassal accent city slicker who thinks they know everything about life when in reality, they are just arrogant.

No offense to northerners, just bad experiences.

People don't respect the south though and we're treated like the armpit of America.

Gun owners aren't respected either, people act like we're a bunch of criminals or registered sex offenders and we must be up to no good because we own firearms. I really don't understand that concept at all.

Listen..i think that certain citizens are allowed to have guns..You displayed a picture of a gun that seems unusual for self-defense...

And I'm not one who had ever thought that if one owned a gun they were a registered sex offender or anything of that sort.

Personally, I never grew up in a tough neighborhood like the majority on this forum. I have no pre-judgement on those who wish to defend themselves and do what they need to do.  I just tell myself, what size does the gun need to be if it is for self-defense?  HOw many guns does one need?  ANd then when I hear one needs 20 weapons...I think, "Oh boy....I guess you live in the jungles of Nicaragua."

According to the constitution, the people have the right to have guns, what are people? Well a person would be someone with rights. Convicted felons and sex offenders don't have rights.

I never stated that gun owners are sex offenders, moreso that we are compared to them in a fashion that we are stereotyped as being shady or not upstanding citizens, etc.

Why does it matter what the size of the gun is or how many I have? Do I ask women how many pairs of shoes they have or how many action figures someone collects. I have different guns for different jobs, pistol for CCW, shotgun for home defense, rifle for shtf, and I collect world war II rifles for historical purposes.

Again, you may not realize it, but this is common to what liberal anti-gunners say, and you have been conditioned by that regardless if you think otherwise, however I won't fault you for it, we're all here to promote gun ownership and education.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »
After much thought, I worry that if I had a gun in my house, that Gd forbid my child woudl find it and think it's a toy and Gd forbid kill someone with it.

Children that know about and respect guns don't shoot themselves or others accidentally.

On the contrary, children who are sheltered by gun-fearing parents are the ones who have 'accidents'.

I agree with Scriabin because I grew up with guns in my house and I knew not to touch them

Scenario here, a kid who has never used a gun or been taught discipline about it is told "no stay away from guns", most kids are instinctive about being 'rebellious', it's natural to rebel against law and what your told. The child is at a friends house and finds the fathers gun and playing around with it like they see in the movies, wanting to play cops and robbers and someone is shot.

I shot my first gun when I was about 10 years old, my dad had me in the basement with a shotgun, he had it setup for shooting. I remember the first time I shot it, I felt the recoil and saw what it did to the target, I knew guns weren't a joke and knew not to touch them after seeing what it could do to a person.

Kids who are taught to respect and use things the way they are meant to be usually grow up a much better person, look at most city kids to country kids, most city (suburbanite) kids are spoiled little brats who go out and do whatever they want, no respect for anything. It's all about getting drunks, getting laid, and taking no responsibility for their actions.

A lot of these southern country boys grew up in the stick working hard and earning what they have. I'd rather be living next to southern boys than some northern nassal accent city slicker who thinks they know everything about life when in reality, they are just arrogant.

People don't respect the south though and we're treated like the armpit of America.

Gun owners aren't respected either, people act like we're a bunch of criminals or registered sex offenders and we must be up to no good because we own firearms. I really don't understand that concept at all.

Listen..i think that certain citizens are allowed to have guns..You displayed a picture of a gun that seems unusual for self-defense...

And I'm not one who had ever thought that if one owned a gun they were a registered sex offender or anything of that sort.

Personally, I never grew up in a tough neighborhood like the majority on this forum. I have no pre-judgement on those who wish to defend themselves and do what they need to do.  I just tell myself, what size does the gun need to be if it is for self-defense?  HOw many guns does one need?  ANd then when I hear one needs 20 weapons...I think, "Oh boy....I guess you live in the jungles of Nicaragua."

According to the constitution, the people have the right to have guns, what are people? Well a person would be someone with rights. Convicted felons and sex offenders don't have rights.

I never stated that gun owners are sex offenders, moreso that we are compared to them in a fashion that we are stereotyped as being shady or not upstanding citizens, etc.

Why does it matter what the size of the gun is or how many I have? Do I ask women how many pairs of shoes they have or how many action figures someone collects. I have different guns for different jobs, pistol for CCW, shotgun for home defense, rifle for shtf, and I collect world war II rifles for historical purposes.

Again, you may not realize it, but this is common to what liberal anti-gunners say, and you have been conditioned by that regardless if you think otherwise, however I won't fault you for it, we're all here to promote gun ownership and education.

Ok so we agree, bad people shouldn't have guns.
You need one gun for CCW(?), one for home defense, one for (shtf? is that hunting?), a bunch for collection museum purposes...that's fine.  I have no problem with gun ownership. 

THen you have machine guns and guns used with the intention to kill and target and assasinate people..i'm all for being law abiding citizens...that means you can have guns, but to use them for evil purposes is a no go...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »

Ok so we agree, bad people shouldn't have guns.
You need one gun for CCW(?), one for home defense, one for (shtf? is that hunting?), a bunch for collection museum purposes...that's fine.  I have no problem with gun ownership. 

THen you have machine guns and guns used with the intention to kill and target and assasinate people..i'm all for being law abiding citizens...that means you can have guns, but to use them for evil purposes is a no go...

shtf = sh*t hits the fan, I don't hunt. usually a reference to the economy crashing or the UN disarming people, hurricane katrina, etc. By the way, rifles aren't just used for hunting, they are also used for target shooting, sporting purposes, and skeet/trap (usually shotguns).

Btw, I've said it before, they are not machine guns. These are semi-automatic (1 shot per pull of the trigger) legal variants for civilian ownership. You cannot judge a gun based on it's cosmetics, it is not the same thing, they are incapable of firing fully automatic. A machine gun is a full automatic firearm. The only recent case of a machine gun being used in a crime was the north hollywood shootout in 97, of course that was heavy modification to the firearm (drilling a 3rd hole in the AK47 receiver and dropping in a full auto sear).

You are assuming I have guns for the intention of assassinating or killing people, again, that's not my intention and I don't appreciate someone accusing me of that being my intention.

What makes my rifle so different than a handgun? You tell me, they both go bang, and we're both capable of killing a person with either tool.

Another thing, convicted felons should be locked up and sex offenders should be as well, theres no reason they should be on our streets.

Furthermore, we need to redefine what a felony is, you can become a felon for oral sex in alabama or possession of a sex toy (I kid you not), you can also become a felon for prank calls and other silly little things, do I have a problem with martha stewart owning a gun? Absolutely not, what she did was stupid but she shouldn't be a felon.

Dan you need to watch the following video on the confusion of "machine guns"

It was made by a cop

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:38:21 PM by White Israelite »

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2008, 04:46:31 PM »
  Here is the BOTTOM LINE:

GET   A    GUN.      NUF SED

Do it for your WIVES, do it for your CHILDREN, do it for YOURSELF, WHY are people so AGAINST a gun?? They carry them in Israel, SMART people make SURE they have one here in the states- Matter of FACT- During the 1700's people were REQUIRED to have a GUN, it was AGAINST the LAW- NOT TO.  Why? B/c the GOVT had NO $$$$ THEY HAD TO DEFEND THEMSELVES!!!  WE HAVE NO $$$$ now- so GET A GUN.  BE AMERICAN for crying out loud!
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2008, 12:29:13 AM »
  Here is the BOTTOM LINE:

Do it for your WIVES, do it for your CHILDREN, do it for YOURSELF, WHY are people so AGAINST a gun?? They carry them in Israel, SMART people make SURE they have one here in the states- Matter of FACT- During the 1700's people were REQUIRED to have a GUN, it was AGAINST the LAW- NOT TO.  Why? B/c the GOVT had NO $$$$ THEY HAD TO DEFEND THEMSELVES!!!  WE HAVE NO $$$$ now- so GET A GUN.  BE AMERICAN for crying out loud!

Exactly.

the government should fear the people, not the other way around.

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2008, 02:25:23 AM »
  Here is the BOTTOM LINE:

i enjoy your posts so much Paulette :) i have ord'd my b/f to go get the guns out of storage and buy ammunition before that MONSTER gets elected.  i am also following the advice of the moderator (i can't remember her name now ???) to fully stock the shelves with food, have cash on hand, and TO ARM OURSELVES!  i bet we are the only people in the neighborhood w/out a gun in the house.  he is so stupid.  i need a new b/f. :love:

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »

This is a great video to show how many regular Americans own "machine guns" ;)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »

This is a great video to show how many regular Americans own "machine guns" ;)
Man I want to go there :dance:

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »
I have kind of a dilemma.  I currently don't own a gun, but will buy one if Obama wins the election since he will expedite the country's transition into third-world status. But if I purchase and register a gun, Obama's gonna have it confiscated anyway, and now I'll still have no gun plus am out some serious cash. 

See where I'm going with this? Should I even bother buying a gun, and if so, how do I keep it when they're eventually banned?

(sorry if this has been covered in previous posts)

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »
Should I even bother buying a gun, and if so, how do I keep it when they're eventually banned?

All righteous people should be armed.

Don't worry about 'if'.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
I have kind of a dilemma.  I currently don't own a gun, but will buy one if Obama wins the election since he will expedite the country's transition into third-world status. But if I purchase and register a gun, Obama's gonna have it confiscated anyway, and now I'll still have no gun plus am out some serious cash. 

See where I'm going with this? Should I even bother buying a gun, and if so, how do I keep it when they're eventually banned?

First things first, if you wait for Obama to get in power, you will lose your chance at owning a gun.

Second, you have options, you do not have to buy from a gun dealer, you can buy off the books (depending the state you live in) at gun shows, flea markets or face to face deals. Even then, I highly doubt confiscation is going to occur, it's a last straw. Even Canada knew that confiscation was suicide and instead, they just simply banned new sales or manufacture of the weapons letting the old owners keep theres. California made all old owners register and basically once they decease, the weapon is destroyed when the owner dies.

Furthermore, if confiscation ever happens, theres going to be a revolt in this country and a new civil war, you don't give up your guns and you don't allow feds to confiscate it, that's unconstitutional and they are committing treason if it comes down to that. I won't tell you what to do, but if anyone comes to harm my family, I am going to shoot them. That isn't a threat, that is a promise, and yes that's lawful under the constitution. I won't be giving up my guns either, they will take them from my cold dead hands./

Of course you should consider buying a gun, you tell me what your looking for and I'll help you with your purchase. Do what you want with it, buy a couple and pack them in cosmoline, bury them for when you need them, keep others by your bed. I recommend a rifle or a pistol, a rifle gives you more accuracy and better range, a handgun is great for concealing and portability.

I won't advocate breaking the law, but you should have guns at all times in the event SHTF.

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2008, 01:25:22 AM »

First things first, if you wait for Obama to get in power, you will lose your chance at owning a gun.

Second, you have options, you do not have to buy from a gun dealer, you can buy off the books (depending the state you live in) at gun shows, flea markets or face to face deals. Even then, I highly doubt confiscation is going to occur, it's a last straw. Even Canada knew that confiscation was suicide and instead, they just simply banned new sales or manufacture of the weapons letting the old owners keep theres. California made all old owners register and basically once they decease, the weapon is destroyed when the owner dies.

Furthermore, if confiscation ever happens, theres going to be a revolt in this country and a new civil war, you don't give up your guns and you don't allow feds to confiscate it, that's unconstitutional and they are committing treason if it comes down to that. I won't tell you what to do, but if anyone comes to harm my family, I am going to shoot them. That isn't a threat, that is a promise, and yes that's lawful under the constitution. I won't be giving up my guns either, they will take them from my cold dead hands./

Of course you should consider buying a gun, you tell me what your looking for and I'll help you with your purchase. Do what you want with it, buy a couple and pack them in cosmoline, bury them for when you need them, keep others by your bed. I recommend a rifle or a pistol, a rifle gives you more accuracy and better range, a handgun is great for concealing and portability.

I won't advocate breaking the law, but you should have guns at all times in the event SHTF.

White Israelite,

Thanks for the excellent response.  Everything you said makes perfect sense.  I've already picked out the guns I'm going to buy which I mentioned earlier in this thread - S&W .38 special revolver (very small and concealable) and a Baretta 12 gauge semi (will use for trap shooting as well).  Would be open to other suggestions as well. 

I was planning on buying them from a dealer and registering as required by state law.  If I ever do have to defend myself, I figure it will look better in court that the guns were legal.  Which reminds me of that expression - better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Thanks again.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2008, 01:46:58 AM »

\

White Israelite,

Thanks for the excellent response.  Everything you said makes perfect sense.  I've already picked out the guns I'm going to buy which I mentioned earlier in this thread - S&W .38 special revolver (very small and concealable) and a Baretta 12 gauge semi (will use for trap shooting as well).  Would be open to other suggestions as well. 

I was planning on buying them from a dealer and registering as required by state law.  If I ever do have to defend myself, I figure it will look better in court that the guns were legal.  Which reminds me of that expression - better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Thanks again.

Where do you live again? It depends on the state if you have to register with them or not. The difference with federal registration (when you fill out a ATF 4473) is that it's kept at the gun shop and not the police so they have to get a subpoena (which gives...dealers time to lose the paperwork on a fishing trip somewhere wink wink nudge nudge), but if it's registered in the state with the police, they know who has the guns and can confiscate. Confiscation as mentioned though is very unlikely but it's not out of the question. Resist confiscation if it happens.

Case in example, Nazi Germany in the 1930's made it illegal for Jews to own guns, would you have complied? I sure as hell wouldn't. More of us would have survived if we had resisted.

Edit: my damn rifles still on backorder, I got my Galil back in the mail today, hopefully they will have VZ-58's in stock this week so they can ship my order out, I'm out about 820 bucks already on this new purchase. Guns aren't cheap damnit.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:52:53 AM by White Israelite »

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2008, 02:13:06 AM »
I live in California.  I simply assumed guns had to be registered with the state but I could be wrong.  I'll check it out tomorrow.  Yes, guns are expensive.  I'll be spending at least $1,500.  But with Obama on the verge of being our next president, I no longer have a choice.  Living in a third-world banana republic is going to be dangerous.   

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2008, 02:15:52 AM »
I live in California.  I simply assumed guns had to be registered with the state but I could be wrong.  I'll check it out tomorrow.  Yes, guns are expensive.  I'll be spending at least $1,500.  But with Obama on the verge of being our next president, I no longer have a choice.  Living in a third-world banana republic is going to be dangerous.   

I think getting a shotgun is easiest...handguns maybe a little harder...but having both probably a good idea.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2008, 02:31:36 AM »

I've never heard of that law in california, it's possible some cities have that in place like san francisco but normally it's state level. I do know over 10 round mags are banned and AK47 type rifles are also banned.

You can get sporterized versions of the m16 and a few other weapons, SKS are legal in California so I heavily recommend those, they are cheap too, about 175-220 dollars and very reliable, they take 7.62 x 39 and California legal.

It was used in Vietnam to kick our butts, it's a fine rifle. They don't use magazines, you load it with a stripper clip and it holds 10 rounds. Unfortunately in California, won't be able to get it with the bayonet lug so it'll usually be removed, but you don't really need it for practical use anyways.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:49:15 AM by White Israelite »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »

I think getting a shotgun is easiest...handguns maybe a little harder...but having both probably a good idea.

Depends, handguns generally cost more, and at least in Florida you can't buy them same day here, they make you fill out the form and come back 3 days later which sucks. I prefer a handgun for home defense because it's easier than lugging around a big shotgun in the middle of the night if someone breaks in, then again, it's kind of hard to miss with a shotgun and the cocking of a shotgun is normally enough to intimidate the bad guy to the point he's running out the back door for his life.

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »

I've never heard of that law in california, it's possible some cities have that in place like san francisco but normally it's state level. I do know over 10 round mags are banned and AK47 type rifles are also banned.

I spoke to a couple of gun shops and guns purchased in California have to be registered with the state as well as the feds.  They also said that any type of gun confiscation is very unlikely. 

I found out there's a gun show in a couple of weeks close to where I live.  Having never been to a gun show, any do's and don'ts I need to know about?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »

I spoke to a couple of gun shops and guns purchased in California have to be registered with the state as well as the feds.  They also said that any type of gun confiscation is very unlikely. 

I found out there's a gun show in a couple of weeks close to where I live.  Having never been to a gun show, any do's and don'ts I need to know about?

Not in particular, avoid cheap unknown brand names, those small cheap 100 dollar pocket pistols or spanish revolvers made in the 1950's, that kind of thing. I think most of those are banned in California anyways. You get what you pay for.

Ask questions about the firearm, warranty, look at the bore and make sure it's shiney and not corroded or black (a lot of bores on surplus rifles tend to be shot out), make sure magazines are in good shape.

Ammunition, avoid other peoples reloads, buy commercial ammo or reload your own ammo.

Avoid politics if you can

Keep safety rules in mind and ask dealers if you can handle the weapon before touching it, most will have a ziptie on it so you can't pull the slide back but the magazines are removeable.

Lots of nazi surplus and reproductions made in China sold at the events, avoid those people.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2008, 11:32:10 PM »
People should also buy knives just in case you need to use it

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2008, 01:50:27 AM »

Not in particular, avoid cheap unknown brand names, those small cheap 100 dollar pocket pistols or spanish revolvers made in the 1950's, that kind of thing. I think most of those are banned in California anyways. You get what you pay for.

Ask questions about the firearm, warranty, look at the bore and make sure it's shiney and not corroded or black (a lot of bores on surplus rifles tend to be shot out), make sure magazines are in good shape.

Ammunition, avoid other peoples reloads, buy commercial ammo or reload your own ammo.

Keep safety rules in mind and ask dealers if you can handle the weapon before touching it, most will have a ziptie on it so you can't pull the slide back but the magazines are removeable.

Lots of nazi surplus and reproductions made in China sold at the events, avoid those people.

The gun shop I spoke to recommended I not purchase a gun from a gun show.  They said, if there's any problem with the gun, it may be difficult to get any service followup.  Of course, I would expect a gun shop to say this, but it sounds logical.  Is it simply the better option to buy a gun from a gun shop?

And do you necessarily get better deals at gun shows?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:24:49 AM by Sparky »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »

The gun shop I spoke to recommended I not purchase a gun from a gun show.  They said, if there's any problem with the gun, it may be difficult to get any service followup.  Of course, I would expect a gun shop to say this, but it sounds logical.  Is it simply the better option to buy a gun from a gun shop?

And do you necessarily get better deals at gun shows?

That's not true at all, there are plenty of official dealers that go to gun shows, sounds like he wanted your business. Plus you don't go to a gun dealer if your gun has problems, you go through the gun manufacturer. If the guns new, it should come with a warranty card of some sort. If your buying from a private dealer, that's a different story, however buying from a private dealer will not leave a paper trail which is good since government doesn't know if you have the gun or not. I'm unaware of the laws with private or face to face transactions in your state.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »
bottom line...I would consider White Israelite to be the expert on the topic of firearms...Listen closely...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2008, 07:34:39 PM »
Anyone else getting a gun before November? I seen a few people voted for "I want to but i can't", perhaps you can explain why you can't? Perhaps it's just very difficult depending where you live but I can assist anyone to get one if they really need one. This is really an important subject.