Author Topic: Kimbo hits Blaine  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Fonzworth

• Full JTFer
  • How in the hell could israel free Kuntar!!!
Kimbo hits Blaine
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »
Kimbo hits Blaine

David Blaine takes two hard punches from Kimbo Slice.

http://www.wimp.com/kimboblaine/

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Kimbo hits Blaine
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
What happened to kimbo last night  losing to a small inexperiened fighter                           

Final curtain for the Kimbo show
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
8 hours, 9 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintRelated Video  Late Show for Carano Late Show for Carano

More MMA Videos Related CoverageMeltzer: Women EXC's true elites More From Dan WetzelFuture of EliteXC in Kimbo's fists Oct 2, 2008
 SUNRISE, Fla. – The legend of Kimbo Slice was built by beating bums in boat yards and back alleys not far from here. It came crashing down Saturday courtesy of a quick punch from a pink-haired journeyman giving up two inches in height, four in reach and 30 pounds in muscle and might.

One simple shot sent Slice to the canvas and from there some guy named Seth Petruzelli needed just 12 punches and 14 seconds to put an end (we hope) to one of the great sporting charades of all time.

It was just a matter of time before Kimbo got exposed. He was little more than a character out of central casting, a bunch of addictive YouTube videos and a lot of insane hype by CBS, which made him a headliner before he made himself a fighter.

He was the Kimbo the Cash Machine, everyone lining up to exploit the lie that this was the baddest man on earth as long as he could walk through hand-picked tomato cans.

Only this time his match with 44-year-old Ken Shamrock, who hadn’t won a fight in over four years, fell apart when Shamrock cut his eye in a light training session Saturday and was deemed unfit to fight by state officials.

In the scramble to find a suitable replacement that Slice couldn’t possibly lose to, EliteXC considered Shamrock’s brother, Frank, who was there to be CBS’s color commentator, hadn’t fought lately due to a broken arm and would have given up around 45 pounds. Despite all this, Frank likely would have submitted Kimbo in the first round.

When that matchup couldn’t happen (Frank Shamrock said CBS blocked it, EliteXC said state officials wouldn’t clear him) promoters turned to Petruzelli. The Fort Myers, Fla. native had been dumped by the big-league UFC, was just 2-2 since 2004, had recently taken a year off to start a business, weighed just 205 (to Kimbo’s 235) and was so lightly regarded he was competing in the non-televised undercard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite the oft-repeated propaganda that Slice was a man of “courage” for taking a fight with this smaller guy who was likely to stand and trade punches anyway, EliteXC paid Kimbo a cash bonus just to get him to step into the cage.

“We made it up to him,” said Jeremy Lappen, EliteXC’s head of fight operations. He wouldn’t disclose the amount.

For the myth of Slice, the matchup may not be a 44-year-old on a losing streak or someone from the broadcast booth, but really, what was the worst thing that could happen?

“It didn’t feel too flush,” Petruzelli said of the first punch that apparently didn’t even need to land squarely to fell Kimbo.

Make no mistake – or listen to the EliteXC spin – this was a disaster for Slice and the company. “This is MMA, all the best have lost,” said Lappen. True, but Kimbo wasn’t defeated by a crafty Brazilian jiu-jitsu master. He wasn’t caught in a submission by an experienced wrestler. He didn’t lose a decision after a three-round brawl.

Those would be understandable considering his novice status.

Kimbo was KTFO’d by a guy he absolutely towered over yet was willing to bang with him anyway. Not that Kimbo did any banging. Slice charged him (“He was like a truck,” Petruzelli said) but he never actually landed a punch.

In the end, Kimbo’s hand speed, defense and chin proved incapable against even an average mixed martial artist. Which was pretty much what every hardcore fan had predicted.

Not that CBS didn’t keep up with the Slice willing to fight, “anyone, anywhere, at anytime.” This was a 100 percent true statement if “anyone, anywhere, at anytime” means “no one any good, anywhere, ever.”

Slice seemed stunned and a bit saddened at the turn of events. After it was over, he initially began wrestling the referee. Whether that was a protest for the decision or because he was dazed isn’t certain. Then he walked around the cage complaining to fans about the stoppage.

Later he walked out on his CBS interview (“Kimbo?” asked Gus Johnson) and showed up 45 minutes late for the main press conference, where he gave a quick statement and bailed.

“I got my first black eye,” he laughed.

Through it all Slice remained the only likeable character of this foolish farce. He wasn’t the one claiming he was the best in the world. He was just a working-class dude who figured out how to beat the system and cash in on his 15 minutes of fleeting fame.

He’s got kids to feed and bills to pay and right to the end, he was milking bonuses out of the promotion, a one-time homeless man holding the Tiffany Network’s prime-time programming hostage. Only in America.

He was the grand actor in the middle of a three-ring circus, a tall tale that would eventually come tumbling down under the bright glare of reality.

Where Slice goes from here is anyone’s guess. He can’t rebuild his reputation without stepping up in competition from the guy who just beat him in seconds. He can’t headline a card and have anyone believe he’s legit. He can’t claim he, “just got caught” when it wasn’t some wild, roundhouse right or sneaky arm-bar that did him in.

The truth was always coming for Kimbo. Saturday it arrived sooner rather than later, the money train grinding to a halt courtesy of a smaller, less heralded fighter that no one can claim is some elite champion.

No, this was it. It’ll never be the same, not for the fighter and not, perhaps, for his entire promotion that just lost its signature star on top of the $58 million it’s burned the past two years.

Afterward, EliteXC execs tried to paint a bright future but admitted they needed a drink. Lower-level employees used gallows humor about finding new jobs.

Kimbo just said he was going home to see his kids.

In 14 seconds flat, the whole mirage was gone

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
celebrities can earn a living just as a celebrity, not really working.
they make appearances on stupid tv programs, on talk shows.. interviewed in magazines

as long as the public are obsessed by them.

The name "Kimbo" and his mere appearance is a money spinner for marketting things.

I think he'll stay in MMA. He won't go back to street fighting.

I suppose Tank Abott earns a living in MMA? so I guess Kimbo can to.

He could go into WWE (Tank was in that too, maybe that's how he earnt the money to let him do MMA and keep losing. I don't know. Tank is quite a celebrity).

Offline SAMSON

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
Well I think it is over for Kimbo!! He can go back to you tube now. :::D

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »

What you just wrote doesn't really mean anything.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
nice one mord for bringing it to our attention..

here it is on youtube

Kimbo V Seth Petruzzeli

Offline SAMSON

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:11:11 PM »

Let me explain, I have been following MMA and UFC since the 90's, and boxing since the late 70's. This guy Kimbo as we know was a backyard fighter and was supposed to take the MMA world by storm. His first big televised fight he barely won. His second fight he got his world rocked in under a minute. In fact, I just found this a few mins ago.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:17 PM »

Let me explain, I have been following MMA and UFC since the 90's, and boxing since the late 70's. This guy Kimbo as we know was a backyard fighter and was supposed to take the MMA world by storm. His first big televised fight he barely won. His second fight he got his world rocked in under a minute. In fact, I just found this a few mins ago.

His first fight the guy gave up after getting hit his second fight he whooped Tank Abbot his third fight he was getting beat by Thompson but won after popping the guys ear his last fight he lost very badly

Offline SAMSON

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
I forgot about the Tank Abbot fight, but Thompson was giving him a decent battle.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
I forgot about the Tank Abbot fight, but Thompson was giving him a decent battle.

Yes Thompson should have won the fight cause he rocked Kimbo and he could not defend himself

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
I saw this on the tele the other evening.  I told my buddy that I thought Kimbo was going to lose and he did but I never thought he'd go down like that.  I never thought he was anything good in all honesty. 

Oh, G-d now PBS is glorifying Islam and Mohammedans...  G-d sorry for that injection.  The propaganda is everywhere...
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 04:29:36 AM »

I know all that and saw that article. 

Fact is he was never expected to take the MMA by storm.
Not a single person thought he'd take Fedor. Or join the ranks of Fedor.

He was marketted in a positive way

Infact it's likely that he will stay in MMA.  Fighting comes naturally to him, he has Bas Rutten as a trainer!   And Bus Rutten told him matches before this, that doing street fights now would be cheating, and Kimbo agreed.