Author Topic: Richard Dawkins Vs John Lennox - youtube video  (Read 742 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Richard Dawkins Vs John Lennox - youtube video
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:14:10 AM »
Dr John Lennox - a religious bible believing christian -  questions Richard Dawkins assertions from The G-d delusion.

I haven't listened to it much yet

It doesn't seem very good. The format is terrible.  It's not much of a dialogue. And it's not really one rebutting the other.

parts 1 and 2 don't seem to get into it much
Here is one part, part 3...

A note for the simple minded - that exist with or without a religion, and in all religions.    Dr John Lennox is , judging by what I have heard so far, arguing christianity over atheism.  However, since he is questioning Richard Dawkin's assumptions, most of his arguments would apply generally against atheism. Therefore, the message I am writing to the simple minded, is that if they don't believe christianity, or they hear Dr John Lennox talk of christianity over atheism, it doesn't invalidate all his arguments for somebody that doesn't believe in christianity.  Meaning, that you don't have to assume christianity is true, you don't have to accept christianity, to accept arguments that are just discussing G-d and atheism in a general enough sense.
Arguing with dawkins would not get into theological aspects of christianity.
A further note for the simple minded.  I'm not a christian. My belief is orthodox judaism..

By the way.. Dr John Lennox may be quite good but the debate format doesn't let either of them really debate.

He may be a name to look out for in the future, if you are interested in good debates that might occur on this subject.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:25:02 AM by q_q_ »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Richard Dawkins Vs John Lennox - youtube video
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:35:58 AM »
The best debate format is written debate.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »
q_q_,

So what about this debate? There have been debates between atheists and religious since the beginning of religion. Why waste time listening to this one? There is much to learn...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »
There's one thing I agree with  Dawkins on. He said that religious people sometimes use "God did it" as an explanation in its own right and don't feel the need to further explore the natural causes behind things. For a long time many people used to think that diseases were caused by evil spirits for example, and they never even tried to understand beyond that until very recently in human history.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
There's one thing I agree with  Dawkins on. He said that religious people sometimes use "G-d did it" as an explanation in its own right and don't feel the need to further explore the natural causes behind things. For a long time many people used to think that diseases were caused by evil spirits for example, and they never even tried to understand beyond that until very recently in human history.
RubyStars,

That is not a Jewish understanding at all. In Judaism there is a reason for everything. We may not know the actual reasons but we are supposed to take any physical pain and try to learn from it. We dont believe that G-d does anything for spite or just for fun but in order to make us better people. All pain and suffering is a way to learn something about our physical and spiritual soul.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14