Author Topic: I think I must fast and pray for the next days ahead  (Read 3572 times)

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
I think I must fast and pray for the next days ahead
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
Anyone else feel that way? There is a need to pray and fast for America and Israel. Check out this chilling video:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:47:00 PM by momofsixbabes »

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: I think I must fast and pray for the next days ahead
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »
If you want to do that be my guest but I will not

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
Anyone else feel that way? There is a need to pray and fast for America and Israel. Check out this chilling video:

Actually this was suggested several weeks ago {just before Yom Kippur fast}... I think that we should do whatever we have to do to gain favor before the L-rd. I would have hoped we could do this in a unified way but there are others who dont think this is appropriate.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
Yes, I started a thread about this last week.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »
I was already fasting and praying then as well, as we (my family and I) are trying to embrace the Jewish holidays. This whole thing has weighed heavy on my heart. I am getting ready for another fast and prayer, and I was hoping some others might join me.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »

Actually this was suggested several weeks ago {just before Yom Kippur fast}... I think that we should do whatever we have to do to gain favor before the L-rd. I would have hoped we could do this in a unified way but there are others who dont think this is appropriate.

muman613

We have many gentile readers here, you are almost encouraging them to fast on yom kippur now.  By not being clear. And elsewhere you literally told gentiles(rubystars is probably not jewish.. and since it's public, you were telling others including gentiles) to say HaShem instead of G-d.  You are mixing things up completely.  Jews work with Gentiles on this forum, that doesn't mean that gentiles are expected to do as jews do, or jews as gentiles do. We have different functions.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:coCgL6wvUQ8J:www.jewsagainstobama.org/forum_english/chat/log/index.php%3F%26page%3D10+jtf+chat+rubystars+muman+hashem&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

or

http://tinyurl.com/5v35cl

You are extremely unwise..

and what you are writing is like a snip of a poor lesson on judaism for gentiles, since jews would know we don't pronounce certain things, you are writing for gentiles.  And you're writing "A...i" . People might say it.
I know you don't really write for anybody, I think you are usually just preaching to yourself, things that resonate with you. But it has a wishy washy affect on others, other than yourself.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:28:31 PM by q_q_ »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »
I was already fasting and praying then as well, as we (my family and I) are trying to embrace the Jewish holidays. This whole thing has weighed heavy on my heart. I am getting ready for another fast and prayer, and I was hoping some others might join me.

you're probably not jewish, right?

there is no need to embrace jewish holidays, furthermore, you are not meant to.

The Torah was given to the jewish people, the torah instructs jews to teach it to our children..  jews are instructed to be a holy nation.. separate. 
We do these things.. gentiles are not meant to. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

muman613

We have many gentile readers here, you are almost encouraging them to fast on yom kippur now.  By not being clear. And elsewhere you literally told gentiles(rubystars is probably not jewish.. and since it's public, you were telling others including gentiles) to say HaShem instead of G-d.  You are mixing things up completely.  Jews work with Gentiles on this forum, that doesn't mean that gentiles are expected to do as jews do, or jews as gentiles do. We have different functions.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:coCgL6wvUQ8J:www.jewsagainstobama.org/forum_english/chat/log/index.php%3F%26page%3D10+jtf+chat+rubystars+muman+hashem&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

or

http://tinyurl.com/5v35cl

You are extremely unwise..

and what you are writing is like judaism for gentiles, since jews would know we don't pronounce certain things.  And you're writing "A...i" . People might say it.

q_q_,

You are completely wrong about this... This is not my suggestion at all. I simply said that others have discussed this. Once again you come to incorrect conclusions, conclusions based on your incorrect reasoning skills.

muman613

PS: When I say that 'we' should do whatever we have to do I am referring to the Jewish members. I dont know what non-Jews need to do to gain favor before the L-rd, and that is their own business..

PPS: q_q_, did you go to Shul on Yom Kippr for the afternoon services? Did you read the Story of Jonah {or maybe you were out partying}... If you read in the Story of Jonah, a whole nation of Non-Jews fasted and donned sack-cloth because HASHEM had commanded Jonah to warn the NON-JEWISH nation of impending doom... I don't expect you to know this kind of thing because it is over your head...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »
q_q_,

You are completely wrong about this... This is not my suggestion at all. I simply said that others have discussed this. Once again you come to incorrect conclusions, conclusions based on your incorrect reasoning skills.

muman613

AGAIN, I said, and I quote

"you are almost encouraging them to fast on yom kippur now.  By not being clear"

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:01 PM »
q_q_,

muman613

"you are almost encouraging them to fast on yom kippur now.  By not being clear"

PPS: q_q_, did you go to Shul on Yom Kippr for the afternoon services? Did you read the Story of Jonah {or maybe you were out partying}... If you read in the Story of Jonah, a whole nation of Non-Jews fasted and donned sack-cloth because HASHEM had commanded Jonah to warn the NON-JEWISH nation of impending doom... I don't expect you to know this kind of thing because it is over your head...

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:01 PM »
q_q_,

muman613

These are just personal insults followed by some wishy washy talk..

Now you are ALMOST justifying Almost encouraging non-jews to fast on yom kippur.

You are playing games and it's very bad.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »
q_q_,

muman613

These are just personal insults followed by some wishy washy talk..

Now you are ALMOST justifying Almost encouraging non-jews to fast on yom kippur.

You are playing games and it's very bad.

q_q_,

I did not mention anywhere that I think that non-Jews should fast or not... I am simply pointing out that it is not unheard of.

muman613

PS: I agree with you that our service to Hashem must be distinct from the gentile world. But I am not going to tell people whether or not their fast will be acceptable before Hashem, the L-rd. Are you on such a level where you know Hashems wishes? Are you a prophet too?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
<snip>
q_q_,

I did not mention anywhere that I think that non-Jews should fast or not...

I never said that you did. I said that you almost encouraged this, or almost encouraged that.

You pretended that I said it so you could tell me my reasoning skills were flawed.

Are you now going to admit that is a mistake too?  you're not bad at that.

I am simply pointing out that it is not unheard of.

PS: I agree with you that our service to Hashem must be distinct from the gentile world. But I am not going to tell people whether or not their fast will be acceptable before Hashem, the L-rd. Are you on such a level where you know Hashems wishes? Are you a prophet too?

Do you agree on the specific point that gentiles shouldn't be fasting on yom kippur?

It still doesn't look like you do.

Your unknown, or whether it is acceptable or not, is not even considering whether it is wrong.

When I say fasting on yom kippur, I mean saying Oh look it's yom kippur, i'm going to fast because it's yom kippur. Or moreso.. The fast starts at this time, it's 25 hours, it ends at this time.. Great, I can eat now e.t.c. 
Do you agree that gentiles shouldn't be doing that? 

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 10:54:23 PM »
About the first video, it is alarming that the president of the United States would reduce military spending at a time when all of America's worst enemies are arming themselves to the teeth.  I don't think fasting could hurt.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 01:14:33 AM »
<snip>
q_q_,

I did not mention anywhere that I think that non-Jews should fast or not...

I never said that you did. I said that you almost encouraged this, or almost encouraged that.

You pretended that I said it so you could tell me my reasoning skills were flawed.

Are you now going to admit that is a mistake too?  you're not bad at that.

I am simply pointing out that it is not unheard of.

Do you agree on the specific point that gentiles shouldn't be fasting on yom kippur?

It still doesn't look like you do.

Your unknown, or whether it is acceptable or not, is not even considering whether it is wrong.

When I say fasting on yom kippur, I mean saying Oh look it's yom kippur, i'm going to fast because it's yom kippur. Or moreso.. The fast starts at this time, it's 25 hours, it ends at this time.. Great, I can eat now e.t.c. 
Do you agree that gentiles shouldn't be doing that? 

q_q_,

Obviously I agree that non-Jews should not follow Halacha nor any of our mitzvot. These were given as a special gift to the Jewish people. I dont have a problem with understanding this. The question is whether it is ok for non-jews to make their own vows and impose their own restrictions in the hope that the Master of the Universe will hear their cries. I do believe that the righteous gentiles are in Hashems plan for the messianic age {and I have heard explanations about this from various sources}.

q_q, lets agree to disagree... I dont enjoy being so confrontational with you but I only do so to keep you entertained...

muman613

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 03:17:51 AM »

The Torah was given to the jewish people, the torah instructs jews to teach it to our children..  jews are instructed to be a holy nation.. separate. 

We are NOT discussing fasting on Yom Kippur, we are discussing praying and fasting for this ELECTION!!!

Gentiles are ALLOWED to fast and pray for anything that they see fit for......

THis is not about the holidays at all.....

and why are you harangueing Muman again????

Stop being so mean pleeeaaasssseeee???????? ;D
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 04:55:12 AM »

We are NOT discussing fasting on Yom Kippur, we are discussing praying and fasting for this ELECTION!!!

Gentiles are ALLOWED to fast and pray for anything that they see fit for......

THis is not about the holidays at all.....

and why are you harangueing Muman again????

Stop being so mean pleeeaaasssseeee???????? ;D

Hanna, are you  / do you claim to be a religious jew/jewess?

The reason I am arguing jewish belief with Muman is because he is.

I take it that you also do not agree with me that gentiles should not fast on yom kippur?

You are right of course that this was not the subject of the thread, but threads have subthreads, various discussions within them, and this is one going on now! And it's important.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 05:20:51 AM »
                                                                                                              בס''ד

Gentlemen, you are both good Jews. Please stop arguing.

If I were q_q_, I probably would have sent Muman a private message to express my concerns.

And if I were Muman, I probably would have responded by saying, "Thank you for pointing this out to me. Maybe I was not clear enough."

If we treat each with respect, then even disagreements can lead to greater cooperation.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 05:23:08 AM »
                                                                                                              בס''ד

If I were q_q_, I probably would have sent Muman a private message to express my concerns.

And if I were Muman, I probably would have responded by saying, "Thank you for pointing this out to me. Maybe I was not clear enough."

If we treat each with respect, then even disagreements can lead to greater cooperation.

I am sorry Chaim.. I will try to be more understanding. I don't want to have these kinds of arguments.

muman613

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 07:03:35 AM »
                                                                                                              בס''ד

Chaim, I have communicated with Muman in private before on a number of occassions, and it doesn't convince him of my point any more than communicating with him in public.

So there is no point to communicating with him in private.

What the public replies achieve, is they correct bad misconceptions,  or other bad flaws.  There are many others that make the same error on a lesser scale, or have misconceptions that his posts encourage, and my replies in the thread are useful for them, sometimes they PM me that they weren't aware of it..
Or it's clear in the thread that they weren't aware, and became aware..

I am not out to convince muman, that will not happen, but there is a higher purpose to my debating with him. Others see the arguments, the strength of mine and it helps them.

So the option is not private debate vs public debate.
The options in a case like this. One is to let the misconception about judaism remain..  To let jews think it's intelligent behaviour to suggest to christians that judaism/we thinks it's right for them to partake in jewish festivals, or jewish rituals. To "sort of" tell them to write HaShem.. and so on ..  (this of course is a big reason for how this jewish "messianic" phenomena got off the ground in the first place, and it's what keeps it going)

The other option is to reply to it, so that at least jews know that it's not right. And I can tell you that from my replies to Muman, gentiles too see that jews think jewish festivals and rituals are for jews.. and so on. I have already receieved a PM from a gentile that obviously benefited from what I pointed out.

Often my replies to him are not on such a tragically serious matter , just on a matter of style.  Though they also benefit many people.

One way I could go about this, is to reply to the misconception within the thread, but without quoting Muman or mentioning him. I think that's clearly the best way, if you really want to avoid the to and fro debate that we have seen.

Even that form of response would not achieve as much as the to and fro debate acheives.

One thing the to and fro debate with muman does acheive is. For example, in the esau thread, my post that hit on muman's point directly,  it helped others reply to him when he repeated the same thing. They thought "ah, I remember muman said this before, and qq responded". And you see an example of it in the thread, and these benefits are my goal.   

It's true that he gets very bothered and thinks i'm picking on him and he doesn't really understand what's going on. But it can't be anything like the perils society including he, faces anyway. And there are great benefits to the discussion, as I have pointed out.  And for me to have not responded to it, -especially- in this case, is leaving something dangerous to fester.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 07:08:41 AM by q_q_ »

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »

EVERY SINGLE G-d FEARING person OUGHT to FAST and PRAY. PERIOD.  If fasting is not for you- thats fine, G-d knows the hearts of ALL people- But I have been in Prayers- SERIOUS crying out to G-d, SERIOUS.
  I will tell you STRAIGHT UP though, IF G-d were to have mercy on this nation, we CANNOT SIT BACK and WHINE for 4 years- WE HAVE WORK TO DO. WE CANNOT just whine=============NO! That is what EVERYONE did with Bush, and did NOTHING to change ANYTHING.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 08:38:47 AM »
                                                                                                              בס''ד

THANK YOU! LET'S NOT FIGHT...we need UNITY right now because we face an enemy in the USA that we have never faced before!
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »
Well said, JewishAmericanPatr.

I believe that fasting and prayer are wonderful ideas and I encourage this. G-d bless you momofsixbabes and ~Hanna~. You have very good hearts.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »
    I in no way q_q_ meant to offend anyone with this post.  In fact, I have been stunned since yesterday. I agree that I am a hundred percent gentile. Does that mean such hostile words of should come from you? I have been very saddened by your posts. I have been naive in believing that Jewish brothers and sisters would not be so legalistic. Let's look at the bible together.

The first five commandments are about loving God with all our heart. The second five are about loving our brothers and sisters/ neighbors. I think it is important to put the obedience to the ten commandments above the festivals and special days. They do not come as more important than the ten commandments. Thus, our posts should reflect our love for God and one another. It saddens me that they don't.

In reference to your accusation of whether I was calling fasts on the wrong days, I have my Jewish calendar on the wall.  I fasted for the time of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year because it is suppose to be a time of reflection and repentance. No, I don't have to keep all the laws of the Jewish customs or laws, but I have a love for my Father's Word and a high respect for the festivals because they bring to light my Christian faith.

The recent call to fast is because of the darkness that stands at our doors (a Muslim presidential candidate running for president of the U.S.).  I am burdened in my heart to pray and fast because I love my country and the Jewish people. Just as Ester called a fast because the Jewish people were in danger, I was calling a fast to those who were with the same conviction (not that I would deserve any honor in being compared to her-but, to remind that she did this on a nonfeast/custom day). If Ester was allowed to call a fast for danger ahead, couldn't a lowly gentile call a fast for the same reason? Please understand that Obama is close ties with Hamas and Muslims alike. I read that Obama secretely told someone at CNN that he will insist on swearing in on the Koran if elected. Do you understand that this will put Israel in very dangerous situation? Your enemies are already surrounding. God put it in Ester's heart to fast and pray. I am not worthy of being compared to her, but couldn't your accusations be put aside? God has done miraculous things when his people turn from any wickedness and cry out to Him (he wishes to do good to his children). He will intervene if we pray. I never intended this post to step on any religious Jew's toes. I wanted it to be deleted, and requested such, because it deeply grieves me that it would stir up such anger and hostility.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
Look "momofsixbabes", your issues are from another thread. If you want to follow this religion of jesus with rosh hashana and yom kippur, then fine.   You said it was a synagogue and your minister a true jew and a rabbi. That's not fine. Don't expect jews to buy it.

The issue is not the religion you follow..  You can worship a tree for all I care. (not ideal, but I'm not bothered. Crazyness amongst jews is more of a concern)

My message here has not been to gentiles, it's to jews, not to encourage gentiles to write HaShem. Not to teach gentiles the names of G-d, names that should not be spoken in conversation. Not to half encourage them to fast on yom kippur.. and the rest of it   It is this that creates people like your "rabbi" and his confused congregation that call their church a "synagogue". 

Chaim himself has said that the minister you call a rabbi, is not a rabbi.  I'm sure that you don't like that either.

Do see Chaim's response to you in that previous thread where you called your jesus believing leader a rabbi. his response was quite strong - and rightly so.

And you should know, Muman thinks all christians are going to hell. Nobody else does. So I think you should re-adjust your mind a little bit.

It's fine to say let's not debate, but then let's not debate, don't then bring things up expecting a response.

And obviously generally fasting is not a bad thing. As AsheDina said.

I am glad that you are not "legalistic". You are not meant to be. You are not meant to follow jewish law.

We Jews ARE meant to, we are meant to be "legalistic". We don't need to sit around discussing jewish law with christians.  We do our religious things, you do your religious things,   and we work together.

We do have some common stories since we share a bible.  But don't tell us not to be "legalistic", or to look at the bible with you to figure out how we should act.

This of course is not to overshadow the war we face with islam.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:52:42 AM by q_q_ »