Author Topic: Acne  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Acne
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:24:16 AM »
There was a question on askJTF about this. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist.  Most times, medications such as Tetracycline or even Doxycycline (which is better) can be used to control it.

The antibiotic dose is a low dose amount.  The purpose of it is to slightly suppress the immune reaction that causes the acne..not kill the bacteria which would require a higher dosage.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:31:04 AM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Acne
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:00:51 AM »
I know this isn't relevant to men but this is important for women to remember. A lot of anti-acne medications like tetracycline and Accutane can cause birth defects, so please try to be careful about that.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »
You are right, Rubystars.
My sister -in - law was using topical accutane while she was pregnant.  :crazy:
When her OB MDs found out she was using it they freaked out...they were afraid that it had caused birth defects.  Thank God - her son is perfectly perfect.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
What about simple bleach that you use for laundry?
What if you soak a towel in bleach and apply it to your face?
That will kill everything, right?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
I don't think it would be advisable to apply undiluted bleach to one's skin.

Maybe there are some treatments that contain a bleach in them...I don't really know.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:08:52 AM by bullcat3 »
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
if you are advised on, or taking . or researching on , a medication, always google it, and its components.

So you know its issues. So you know what people on it or researching it are saying about it.  e.g. if people say something is better than -it-, if -it- causes something bad, any issues.

Don't just google for medication.

Do that with food/drink from health food stores too. Mostly it will give you the benefit of knowing why it is healthy, but sometimes you might find out that some food/drink from the health food store is unhealthy!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »
First and foremost, those with acen problems and want to take care of it should see a dermatologist.  It's true that young women of child bearing years need to be careful of tetracycline and doxycycline.  However, the anti-biotics are not given to kill bacteria. They are given in subantimicrobial doses meaning it will not affect bacterial flora, but will affect how the immune response is to the skin.  The reason for the acne isn't bacteria.  It's in-grown hairs and an immune reaction to it resulting in pimples and what not.  The sub-antimicrobial dose of these medications only regulate the immune reaction of the creation of the pimples...that's my understanding of the subject.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 01:15:48 PM »
When her OB MDs found out she was using it they freaked out...they were afraid that it had caused birth defects.  Thank G-d - her son is perfectly perfect.

Thank God!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »
When her OB MDs found out she was using it they freaked out...they were afraid that it had caused birth defects.  Thank G-d - her son is perfectly perfect.

Thank G-d!

Accutane is some serious business...not a big fan of it for the reason that it can cause birth defects..However it is a pretty potent anti-acne medication.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:55 PM »
I don't think teen acne is such a big deal. Many teens have it.

I'd worry a bit about being permanently scarred from it
http://acne.about.com/od/acnefaqs/f/acnescarcauses.htm
you shouldn't pick them
and if you had really serious big acne spots , a real outbreak, then see a dermatologist(or rather, a GP and he may transfer you to a dermatologist), and you'd get medication.  

I certainly wouldn't be keen on taking anything oral .. unless perhaps the acne was really big and there was danger of scarring.

Acne can occur anywhere or almost anywhere on the body and can also be caused by not washing! And in these cases it is cleared by washing daily for a few weeks.  

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »
I use bleach to clean my feet. It takes care of my itch problem.
I've tried all kinds of meds that has to stay on all day to work.
I soak my feet in bleach and the itch is gone. Cheap and effective.
The only question I have is safety. I wonder if I'm slowly oxidizing my skin.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
WebMD is one the better websites for getting medical information.  That said, best go to your family physician or dermatologist regarding this issue. But I certainly wouldn't get medical advice from an internet forum like this.  Bleach?!   :o
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:43:00 PM by Sparky »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »
WebMD is one the better websites for getting medical information.  That said, best go to your family physician or dermatologist regarding this issue. I certainly wouldn't get medical advice from an internet forum like this.  Bleach?!   :o

I gave WebMD a try once, just feeding it symptoms to see if it worked. It didn't get it right. Googling symptoms got better results.

You find good articles on various problems..and you can see if you match that.

Certainly if something is mentioned on a forum, then make a note of it and it's worth looking into it.  Or if somebody on a forum mentions an issue with something, then make a note of that.   Obviously you have to know how to judge things. You have to be able to reason..

The person that mentioned bleech didn't advise bleech!
Don't suggest that he was.

If you have itchy feet, again, look for direct solutions.  A GP may be able to do a test as well as giving advice.

Bleech is the last thing to think of! I've never used it and don't know anybody that has.  I've haven't had itchy feet either.  I guess if you've been using it for a year with no serious problems then don't completely discount it. But still it should be a last resort. It would damage the skin in some way.   Feet can be sensitive. You should even be careful to keep feet warm and dry. You may have tough feet!  One thing the body really doesn't like is constant abuse.. So try other things.  Other tried and tested things!

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 02:03:06 PM »
WebMD is one the better websites for getting medical information.  That said, best go to your family physician or dermatologist regarding this issue. I certainly wouldn't get medical advice from an internet forum like this.  Bleach?!   :o

I gave WebMD a try once, just feeding it symptoms to see if it worked. It didn't get it right. Googling symptoms got better results.

You have to be really careful what site you chose to get your medical advice. There's a lot of garbage out there.  WebMD and MayoClinic are fairly good for the lay person.  The best site is emedicine.com, but it's geared toward the medical professional (though they do have lay version which is from WebMD).  My point is it's really important to make sure that the source you're using is legitimate.

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »
Something I can't understand. Thalidomide was banned as a scourge to mankind after it was discovered to produce malformations to foetuses. However, Roaccutaine, some 15 years or so after it was discovered to do exactly the same, remains on the shelves.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »

You have to be really careful what site you chose to get your medical advice. There's a lot of garbage out there.  WebMD and MayoClinic are fairly good for the lay person.  The best site is emedicine.com, but it's geared toward the medical professional (though they do have lay version which is from WebMD).  My point is it's really important to make sure that the source you're using is legitimate.

fundamentally, the thing is to check that the information is good.

You -can- get good information from anywhere. You can use your intelligence and research it to see if it's good information.

Obviously an authoritative medical site is more idiot proof.
But don't tell people to run away from anything other than those.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
My experience with some dermatologists is that they like to push accutane on people.  They must be getting some nice kickbacks from the drug company. 

One time I went to a dermatologist, and told the doctor flat out that I didn't want accutane (and believe me, I don't have bad skin).  But the doctor insisted that I let the nurse give me the whole accutane sales spiel. 

Women are supposed to start taking it only at certain times of the month.  And you have to sign a form saying that you'll immediately get an abortion if you become pregnant while taking the drug. 

On the other hand, there are some people that really need it since oral antibiotics and topical medications don't work.  I've known women that had oozing postules all over their faces that I thought should have been taking it. 

However, accutane doesn't even help everyone.  I've read cases of people being helped by it, only to have their acne return once they stopped taking the drug.

There are also warnings that accutane could cause an increase in suicidal tendencies. 

On another note, there are some pretty decent over the counter acne kits you can buy at drugstores like CVS and Duane Reade.  These are generally the equivalent of Proactiv, which is advertised on infomercials. 

About Proactiv, the chi chi Manhattan dermatologist to the stars, Dr. Patricia Wexler said it worked for her daughter when nothing else did. 

Anyway, Duane Reade has good anti-acne kit for $10.00.  It consists of a benzoyl peroxide cleanser of 2.5%, a toner containing glycolic acid, and a benzoyl peroxide acne lotion of 2.5%.  There are also acne kits that contain salicylic acid as the main ingredient.  Try them and see what works for you.

In the health food stores, you can also find sulfur soaps, which are great if you are sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. 

Finally, if you do pick a blemish, clean the area and apply some anti-biotic ointment like Neosporin, bacitracin or Polysporin. 

Hope this helps. 

Lisa

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
One time I went to a dermatologist, and told the doctor flat out that I didn't want accutane (and believe me, I don't have bad skin).  But the doctor insisted that I let the nurse give me the whole accutane sales spiel. 

Women are supposed to start taking it only at certain times of the month.  And you have to sign a form saying that you'll immediately get an abortion if you become pregnant while taking the drug. 

That's horrible! That's one of the things I can see being used to coerce a woman. The doctor could say "You already agreed to it right here", etc.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »

Finally, if you do pick a blemish, clean the area and apply some anti-biotic ointment like Neosporin, bacitracin or Polysporin. 

Hope this helps. 

Lisa

Home remedy from a Persian mom:  Lemon or lime all over the skin...also egg yolk.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:27:01 PM by Dr. Dan »

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Home remedy from a Persian mom: Lemon or lime all over the skin...also egg yolk.

Does it work?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
angryChineseKahanist, when you say bleach I'm assuming you mean hydrogen peroxide and not sodium hypochlorite. If you're putting clothes bleach on your feet (the second one) that probably is too strong, unless it's really diluted.

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »

You -can- get good information from anywhere. You can use your intelligence and research it to see if it's good information.

Did my post in any way tell people to run away from anything other than those?  I'll check back for your answer.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »

Did my post in any way tell people to run away from anything other than those?  I'll check back for your answer.

After saying not to get medical advice from a forum like this,
you explained yourself saying.
"My point is it's really important to make sure that the source you're using is legitimate."

So yes, you're saying to run away from anything other than "legitimate" sites.

I am saying that an internet forum is not a good source for a complete idiot that doesn't know how to weigh or check the information he receives, but can have useful information.  And there is lots of information on the internet other than a handful of general websites you can list.

An intelligent person can research advice, wherever it comes from.  Even if it comes from the barber.  And if you find it on the internet, it's easy enough to research it on the internet.

Offline Roadwarrior

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
There was a question on askJTF about this. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist.  Most times, medications such as Tetracycline or even Doxycycline (which is better) can be used to control it.

The antibiotic dose is a low dose amount.  The purpose of it is to slightly suppress the immune reaction that causes the acne..not kill the bacteria which would require a higher dosage.

Tetracycline was prescribed for me back in the day ...
I think it worked ...

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
Tetracycline can often erode the enamel on your teeth, thus making them yellow-ish.  It happened to an old friend of mine.