Author Topic: Repub. Riechert for 8th district in WA wins! Dem loser refuses to congratulate  (Read 433 times)

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
The story below leaves out the fact that Democrat Darcy Burner refused to call Riechert to congratulate him on his victory even though she conceded!

She was a Microsoft leftist and had one million more than Reichert.  Al Gore, Michelle Obama and Joe Biden all came here to campign for her too.
The leftists really wanted to get rid of Reichert because he is honest and voted against the bank bailout.  Woohoo!!!!

http://www.king5.com/news/specials/politics/stories/NW_110708POB_reichert_reelected_KC.18ee04d0e.html

Congressional District

09:46 PM PST on Friday, November 7, 2008

Associated Press

SEATTLE - Republican U.S. Rep. Dave Reichert has defeated Democratic challenger Darcy Burner in the race for the 8th Congressional District seat after a bruising, expensive and close race.

In the end, Burner, who came within 3 percentage points of unseating the incumbent as a political neophyte two years ago, could not avenge her close loss from 2006. With nearly 80 percent of the expected vote counted from Tuesday's election, she was within 3 percentage points again, with 49 percent to Reichert's 51 percent.

She conceded Friday night.

"It is likely at this point that Congressman Reichert has won re-election, and while we will certainly ensure that every valid vote is counted, we accept the decision of the voters," Burner said in a statement.

Reichert's lead was nearly 8,000 votes late Friday. Roughly 270,000 votes have been cast.

Once again, Reichert managed to survive an election that was friendly to Democrats nationwide as they added to their numbers in Congress and captured the White House. The former King County sheriff now heads back to Washington, D.C., for his third term.

"I am looking forward to going back and beginning to work on some of the major issues that our nation is facing, and the major concerns of the 8th District and Washington state," Reichert said Friday night.

Reichert has competed in three close campaigns, and that was not lost on him Friday.

"All three campaigns have been tough battles, but I think in the end the people of the 8th District recognize they have a representative who represents all the people in the 8th District," Reichert said. "I think people recognize that I have a moderate, common sense, logical approach to this job."

The 8th District sprawls through the suburbs and rural communities of eastern King and Pierce counties. Traditionally a Republican stronghold, it has supported Democrats for president in recent elections.

Election night counts showed voters in the 8th District chose Democratic President-elect Barack Obama with 60 percent of the vote, according to county figures.

Burner's camp had banked on changing demographics in the tech-savvy district and support from a wave of voters coming out for Obama.

But voters seemingly split their tickets, and Burner was unable to ride Obama's coattails.

During the campaign, Reichert painted Burner as too inexperienced and left-leaning. Burner characterized Reichert as an ineffective backer of President Bush.

Reichert's re-election was bolstered by a sizable margin in Pierce County, where he was leading by more than 6,400 votes. Reichert also led in King County by more than 1,400 votes.

The eastern half of King County - with its pockets of blue-leaning precincts - was crucial to Burner's chances. Reichert's win there crushed her hope of a comeback.

Moreover, Pierce County is more conservative than the suburbs in King County, and Burner did not gain any ground there compared to 2006.

Reichert's win was the culmination of a high-profile and expensive campaign.

The candidates raised a combined $5.8 million, according to filings made by the campaigns to the Federal Election Commission in October. That ranked the race among the 10 most expensive House races in the country, according to the nonpartisan campaign finance Web site Opensecrets.org.

Throughout the campaign, Burner led in fundraising and built a formidable war chest of roughly $3.5 million - about $1 million more than Reichert.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
She is a scum bag. I've been watching this race since tuesday. I am in WA-7 so I couldn't have voted for him but I really like him. Dave has been a great Representive for Washington State.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
She is a scum bag. I've been watching this race since tuesday. I am in WA-7 so I couldn't have voted for him but I really like him. Dave has been a great Representive for Washington State.

I'm the 7th too..the Republican got 15% against Baghdad Jim Mcdermott.  Riechert is really likeable and I think he really cares about his district.  She really got on my nerves! I'd move to the 8th but it's in the path of Mt Rainier if there's an eruption.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
I'm glad this man Dave Reichert won the Liberal D'arcy is a sore loser
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03