Author Topic: 63 questions to answer to work for Obama admin  (Read 812 times)

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
63 questions to answer to work for Obama admin
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:43:37 AM »
he couldn't even pass his own test.  what is he talking about.  some questions are beyond the word intrusive.  one is "who are your associations."  look what he would have had to write down.  another is, "what is your user name on facebook," and other sites.  i am still listening to this ridiculous questionnaire that is on the news.  the NY Times posted all the questions.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Re: 63 questions to answer to work for Obama admin
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:47:57 AM »
post the link
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:52:23 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/us/politics/13apply.html?scp=1&sq=obama%20questions%20admin&st=cse

WASHINGTON — Want a top job in the Obama administration? Only pack rats need apply, preferably those not packing controversy.

The New Team: Obama’s Inner Circle
A seven-page questionnaire being sent by the office of President-elect Barack Obama to those seeking cabinet and other high-ranking posts may be the most extensive — some say invasive — application ever.

The questionnaire includes 63 requests for personal and professional records, some covering applicants’ spouses and grown children as well, that are forcing job-seekers to rummage from basements to attics, in shoe boxes, diaries and computer archives to document both their achievements and missteps.

Only the smallest details are excluded; traffic tickets carrying fines of less than $50 need not be reported, the application says. Applicants are asked whether they or anyone in their family owns a gun. They must include any e-mail that might embarrass the president-elect, along with any blog posts and links to their Facebook pages.

The application also asks applicants to “please list all aliases or ‘handles’ you have used to communicate on the Internet.”

The vetting process for executive branch jobs has been onerous for decades, with each incoming administration erecting new barriers in an effort to avoid the mistakes of the past, or the controversies of the present. It is typically updated to reflect technological change (there was no Facebook the last time a new president came to town).

But Mr. Obama has elevated the vetting even beyond what might have been expected, especially when it comes to applicants’ family members, in a reflection of his campaign rhetoric against lobbying and the back-scratching, self-serving ways of Washington.

“President-elect Obama made a commitment to change the way Washington does business, and the vetting process exemplifies that,” said Stephanie Cutter, chief spokeswoman for the Obama transition office.

Jobs with the mortgage-finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have served as lucrative incubators for Democratic and Republican administration officials. But those affiliations have become potentially toxic since the government seized both companies after years of financial irregularities that have stoked the economic crisis.

Not surprisingly, then, Question 18 of the Obama application asks whether “you, your spouse or any member of your immediate family” have been affiliated with Fannie, Freddie, American International Group, Washington Mutual and any other institution getting a government bailout.

Under “Domestic Help,” the questionnaire asks the immigration status of applicants’ housekeepers, nannies, chauffeurs and yard-workers, and whether applicants have paid the required taxes for household employees. (Those questions reflect controversies that tripped up President Bill Clinton’s first two nominees for attorney general in 1993.)

“Every transition is cumulative,” said Michael Berman, a lawyer and lobbyist who worked in the transitions of both Mr. Clinton and President Jimmy Carter. After reviewing the Obama application, Mr. Berman added, “I am very happy I am not seeking a job in the federal government.”

A former Clinton White House official who insisted on anonymity said in an e-mail message, “I believe it is considerably more detailed than we had to fill out in ’93. Interesting that they want spouse information on everything — means lots of folks are going to have to list the very prominent — and controversial — companies that their spouses work/lobby for.”

The first question asks applicants not just for a résumé, but for every résumé and biographical statement issued by them or others for the past 10 years — a likely safeguard against résumé falsehoods, one Clinton administration veteran said.

Most information must cover at least the past decade, including the names of anyone applicants lived with; a chronological list of activities for which applicants were paid; real estate and loans over $10,000, and their terms, for applicants and spouses; net worth statements submitted for loans, and organization memberships — in particular, memberships in groups that have discriminated on the basis of race, sex, disability, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.

There are no time limits for some information, including liens, tax audits, lawsuits, legal charges, bankruptcies or arrests. Applicants must report all businesses with which they and their spouses have been affiliated or in which they have had a financial stake of more than 5 percent. All gifts over $50 that they and their spouses have received from anyone other than close friends or relatives must be identified.

Just in case the previous 62 questions do not ferret out any potential controversy, the 63rd is all-encompassing: “Please provide any other information, including information about other members of your family, that could suggest a conflict of interest or be a possible source of embarrassment to you, your family, or the president-elect.”

The answer could duplicate the response to Question 8: “Briefly describe the most controversial matters you have been involved with during the course of your career.”

For those who clear all the hurdles, the reward could be the job they wanted. But first there will be more forms, for security and ethics clearances from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Office of Government Ethics.

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »
i'm listening to it on t.v.

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »
thank you for the link  :)

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:30:18 AM »
Question #62

Did you kill your grandmother?  If yes, you're hired!

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 01:35:02 AM »
I'm scared to look at the list.

I'm scared to find

"are you white or of european decent?"
on it.

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:43:09 AM »
 :laugh:  N.W.

on Hannity & Colmes they can't figure out if he wrote it or not.  i don't think he'd write something so intrusive if he admits to using pot, cocaine and being a beer guzzler.  speaking of drugs, i read somewhere that he is reconsidering marijuana laws.  he is caught in a dilemna because he was a drug user himself and is having a hard time deciding what to do about including a state (forgot which)  w/ a medical marijuana facility and reducing punishment for possessing it, depending on the amount.  i read it on the internet so who knows how reliable this info is.  seems every blogger is now a columnist.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 01:52:44 AM »
I think Obama will be caught in many dilemmas, quite frankly.  He will discover that being the President is a lot different from running for President.  He's gonna be in the hot seat now, and he's really going to be sweating.

From the link I provided above, I opened up the pdf file that included the questionnaire.  I will tell you this:  I cannot imagine ever wanting a job badly enough where I would either a) answer those questions or b) provide the documentation it requests. 

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 01:56:53 AM »
looks like Obama did write it.  here is another article:

Campaign Pledge on Ethics Could Become Obstacle to Filling White House Jobs

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
Published: November 5, 2008
President-elect Barack Obama, now recruiting for his administration, is trying to fulfill campaign promises of sweeping ethics restrictions that could deter some potential appointees.

Doug Mills/The New York Times
David Axelrod, a top Obama aide, is not a lobbyist but is a partner in a public advocacy group.

Blog

The Caucus
The latest on the 2008 election results and on the presidential transition. Join the discussion.

Vowing to combat the power of “lobbyists who kill good ideas and good plans with secret meetings and campaign checks,” Mr. Obama has laid out more detailed and more onerous ethics rules than any previous president. He has pledged to bar appointees from working on matters involving their former employers for two years, prohibit departing officials from lobbying his administration for its duration, and require all political appointees to publicly disclose every meeting with registered lobbyists.

But in a city where policy experts typically work for private interests between stints in public service — and often have spouses or family members in the same business — such measures could hamper the new administration, scholars and ethics experts say.

“The problem for Obama is that he will be limiting himself in the expertise he can tap,” said Martha Kumar, a Towson University professor who studies presidential transitions, noting that President Bill Clinton faced a similar difficulty with less sweeping rules.

Some Republicans see a trove of political ammunition in Mr. Obama’s promises about public transparency. He has pledged to post online all of his appointees’ employment histories and personal financial disclosures, along with regular updates of any meetings or conversations they hold with registered lobbyists.

“If they want to hold themselves to that standard of transparency, then they will be ridiculed continuously, in incessant attacks from the outside,” said David Bossie, an operative who once specialized in unflattering research on the Clinton White House and now heads the conservative group Citizens United.

Others are already noting the potential gaps in the rules. Many people in Washington make money by consulting for private interests seeking to influence the government but without engaging in the specific activities that require registration as a lobbyist, thus sidestepping some of Mr. Obama’s restrictions.

“There are so many people who don’t have to register that it captures not so many,” Ms. Kumar said.

Some of the challenges and potential ambiguities in Mr. Obama’s lofty goals are already apparent in his presidential transition team, which will help select his administration’s senior staff.

Mr. Obama has required everyone advising his transition team to remove themselves from matters involving a broad spectrum of potential conflicts of interest — issues in which the adviser has a financial interest, in which family or business associates have a financial interest, or on which the person lobbied over the previous year. In cases of an appearance of conflict, Christopher Lu, the transition team’s executive director and a member of Mr. Obama’s Senate staff, must referee.

But John D. Podesta, a former Clinton administration chief of staff and the leader of the transition team, presents several potential questions.

Mr. Podesta is the chairman of the Center for American Progress, a liberal research group that solicits private donations and lobbies on a variety of issues. While he has not personally acted as a registered lobbyist in the last year, according to the disclosure filings for the center’s political advocacy arm, he had earlier lobbied on issues including the war and reconstruction in Iraq, Defense Department spending, the treatment of military detainees, energy issues, bio-fuels and oil prices.

And his brother Tony is the chairman of a major lobbying firm, the Podesta Group, which the brothers founded together two decades ago.

In an interview, Tony Podesta said that he bought his brother out of the firm in 1996 and that the firm banned lobbying John Podesta while he was in the government, either in the Clinton White House or the Obama transition. To comply with the Obama ethics rules, Tony Podesta said jokingly, “I am taking my brother out of my will.”

Former Senator Tom Daschle, a top Obama campaign adviser considered to be a candidate for a prominent White House job, does not engage in the specific activities that require him to register as a lobbyist. But he is a highly paid member of the law and lobbying firm Alston & Bird, where he sells strategic political advice about a variety of matters that have recently included the financial industry bailout. And his wife, Linda Daschle, is a registered lobbyist specializing in defense and aerospace clients. (The Daschles declined to comment.)

David Axelrod, Mr. Obama’s top campaign strategist and another likely candidate for a White House job, is not a lobbyist either. But he is a partner in a public advocacy group that has helped corporate clients including the telecommunications companies AT&T, Cablevision and SBC Communications; Household Financial, a subprime mortgage lender; Wisconsin Energy, a coal-fired power company; the nuclear power giant Exelon; and a coalition that pushes deregulation of the electricity markets.

Still, several Republicans expressed admiration for Mr. Obama’s effort. “It is impressive, very ambitious, with some very laudable objectives — minimizing conflicts of interest and self-dealing, slowing the revolving door, increasing transparency,” said Jan Baran, a Republican political law expert who served on a commission on ethics rules for the first President Bush.

Joe Gaylord, a Republican consultant and former adviser to Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, said: “It could be of value to opposition researchers. But I guess I would applaud it. It might not be terrific for the president-elect, but it would be great for America, huh?”

Mr. Clinton set the previous high bar for White House ethics rules, with mixed results. He required political appointees to pledge that for five years they would not lobby the government agencies where they had worked, and that for the rest of their careers they would not lobby on behalf of a foreign government.

But even those rules were widely criticized as too onerous for many in Washington. “Much too burdensome,” said Paul Light, a public-ethics expert at New York University.

Whether in response to his appointees’ complaints or his own political timetable, Mr. Clinton rescinded his rules in his last week in office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/us/politics/06lobby.html?ref=politics

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 03:57:51 AM »
i don't get it. whats wrong w the questionairre? I'm sure past presidents including bush did stuff like this.  and if they didn't, so what? Obama doesn't want anyone w past controversies in his staff.  Oddly enough he's considering hillary for sec. of state, so maybe i don't get  it ::)
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein