Author Topic: question for open debate: the next international crisis  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
question for open debate: the next international crisis
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:50:24 AM »
So the die is cast, and we have a commander-in-chief who, it would be fair to say, campaigned on a platform that a weaker America is a better America.  It would also be fair to say that Obama is at least sympathetic to militant Islam, if he is himself not indeed a closet Muslim.

So, my question:  Will Muslim terrorists make a major push against the West (and by that I include primarily the United States and Israel) early in Obama's presidency?  Or will they show patience and negotiate themselves into a more favorable position for a later strike?  Frankly, I find it impossible to believe that militant Islam will be content with status-quo.

OR will Obama's first test come from elsewhere, such as the Russians looking to rebuild their old empire?  Don't forget Obama's limp-wristed reaction to the Russians invading Georgia a few months ago.  Imagine Obama having to face-off with a dark character like Vladimir Putin;  beyond just that, it would be fair to say that most Eastern Europeans don't have a high opinion of Africans.

Or will Obama face a domestic test of international issues, such as vs Hillary Clinton, as a rogue Secretary of State?

I'm curious as to what people on this board think.  At the very least, we're in for a rough ride.  It's been a long time (if ever) since this nation was led by a president who ran on a pacifist platform, especially when we have soldiers in the field.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: question for open debate: the next international crisis
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »
Thats a great question.

Theres obviously a high probability of an attack on the US.  It happens quite often when a country gets a new president/prime minister.

HOWEVER... Im convinced that Russia will show its ugly head in 2009.  It will probably show solidarity with Iran and will invade another breakaway  country.  At any rate... Im sure Obama will say that both sides need to show restraint.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
Re: question for open debate: the next international crisis
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
I think China might test Obama.  They tested Bush with the spy plane incident and Clinton with the standoff near Taiwan.  Things are heating up in Taiwan and they may make a move to occupy the island again.