Author Topic: Giuliani gains ground against Paterson in governor's race in recent poll  (Read 710 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
ALBANY - Rudy Giuliani, who says he will consider a 2010 run for governor, picked up ground against Gov. Paterson, a new poll shows.

Paterson would defeat the Republican former New York City mayor by a margin of 49% to 43%, the Siena College poll found in a head-to-head matchup.

The six-point deficit for Giuliani is down from 11 points in a late October Siena poll.

RELATED: GOVERNOR GIULIANI? RUDY LEAVES OPTION OPEN
Though his presidential campaign fizzled, Giuliani still remains a popular figure in New York, with a favorable to unfavorable rating of 57% to 39%.

Giuliani leads Paterson handily among Republicans (70% to 22%), independents (54% to 37%), suburbanites (58% to 35%) and Catholics.

Paterson leads strongly among Democrats (70% to 24%), in New York City (63% to 30%), women (52% to 41%) and among blacks, Latinos, and Protestants.

The two are running neck and neck among males, upstaters, and Jews.

"I think these numbers are going to jump around a lot but right now it's pretty tight despite the fact that David Paterson has the highest favorable ratings that he's ever had," said Siena Research Institute spokesman Steven Greenberg.

Nearly two-thirds of New Yorkers view Paterson favorably, compared to just 19 percent who don't, according to the poll.

His 64% approval rating is up from the previous high of 62% in last month's Siena poll.

Just 9% say Paterson is doing an excellent job as governor, 46% a good job, 34% a fair job and 7% a poor job.
Other poll findings:

• Paterson would defeat Attorney General Andrew Cuomo in a 2010 gubernatorial primary 53% to 25%.

• Giuliani, who was losing to Cuomo by 5 points last month, is now up 46% to 44%.

• President-elect Barack Obama has a 70% approval rating among New Yorkers

• A whopping 75% of New Yorkers view President Bush unfavorably, including 53% of Republicans.

Meanwhile, more than nine of 10 New Yorkers rated the state's fiscal condition as fair or poor; 62% described it as poor, while 31% said it's just fair.

A majority favored spending cuts to tax hikes to close the state's projected $2 billion gap in this year's budget. Asked what areas should be cut, 44% said something other than health care, education, transportation and infrastructure and aid to local government.

Just 6% support cuts to health care and 7% to education.

Paterson has proposed $2 billion in cuts, including $1.4 billion in school aid and health care funding.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/17/2008-11-17_giuliani_gains_ground_against_paterson_i.html

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
Re: Giuliani gains ground against Paterson in governor's race in recent poll
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »
Giuiliani biggest problem now is that he's a Republican.  By 2010, that may not be quite the bad word it is now.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
Giuiliani biggest problem now is that he's a Republican.  By 2010, that may not be quite the bad word it is now.

100% correct. I like Rudy he was my first choice for a long time until the Youtube Debate when he talked about the Religon of Peace I was hitting my self on the head that is when I changed to Huckabee
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:32:19 PM »
I too went from Giuiliani to Huckabee and I remember that very debate. 

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
I liked Huckabee from the start and I guess that was the point when I had to turn my back on him. Doesn't mean I don't like him anymore
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:36:39 PM »
A lot of good politicians make great mayors, governors, etc, but never become president.  It seems that the less qualified and undeserving ones get that honor these days.