Author Topic: Is the world 6000 years old?  (Read 19598 times)

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
Re: Is the world 6000 years old?
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »
In the tenach, there is

“for a thousand years in Thy sight are but like yesterday when it past“ (Psalm 90:2)

By the way , and this is really significant..
there is a kabbalistic teaching that the world(I guess universe not just earth) is 15 billion years old

That does correspond with science of today!
So it's a very significant thing.

Rabbi yitzchak of Akko based it on the kabbalistic teaching that the world is created and destroyed 6 times, lasting 7000 years each time.

So that's 42,000 years passed by before our world was created.

Rabbi Yitzchak of Akko points to

“for a thousand years in Thy sight are but like yesterday when it past“ (Psalm 90:2)

says that these 42,000 years the kabbalists speak of are to be taken as divine years.

A divine day is 1000 earth years (see tenach verse)
(it's 1000 times longer than an earth year)

A divine year is 365.25 divine days.

So,

equate them,  earth years are of course the smaller unit.

divine day .   =   1000 earth years

so we want to know how many earth years, are 42,000 divine years.
Because the world was created after 42,000 divine years.

divine year    =  365.25*1000 earth years
                   = 365,250

42,000 divine years = 42,000 *  365,250

= ~15.3 billion years.

Here are 2 sources

http://www.jewishmag.com/8MAG/WORLDS/worlds1.htm (Classic webpage)
http://www.thehope.org/toreng0.htm (something I just picked up now)

Yes q_q Sweetie! THATS THE ONE!! See, I am doing GOOD! Arent you proud of me, I ALMOST had it memorized. HUGS q_q :fist:
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »
G-d created fully grown trees, not just seeds. G-d created Adam a fully grown man, not just a baby.

G-d similarly created a "grown" world. A world that scientifically appears much older much in the same way Adam appeared scientifically much older than one day old on his birthday.

That is one thing we must keep in mind.

We also must keep in mind the limitations of radioactive dating which makes many many assumptions and extrapolations about the way elements interacted thousands of years ago when no such data was being recorded.

The Torah does not leave its simple interpretation and under its simple interpretation the world is exactly 5,769 years old.

Lulab (i'm addressing you since you are more able to discuss things logically than others making this mature earth argument)

I know the L Rebbe taught that they were 24h days.

There is the issue of extrapolation against the fossil dating.. BUT ,  natan aviezer points out in Fossils and Faith.. That there are many scientific disciplines all using different techniques that come to an old earth.  Of course, it may be that they all draw wrong conclusions due to assumptions of extrapolation.
(I have heard in a wacky amnon yitzchak video, a tape of somebody that was obviously a christian scientist, saying that there are some measurements that imply a young earth.  I don't know about that though, how valid the research is. I doubt it is any good peer reviewed journal)

Regarding the mature earth argument, it's true MAYBE G-d made it to appear old. But the annoying thing about those that make that argument, is that all te examples they give are not analogous.
We are talking about an earth where fossils are planted to fool us into thinking the earth is old. What is the point other than to fool us?

Is there any such precedent?

People , as you have, give the man example.

Let's look at the man example.  Adam was created mature? Why? To fool us into thinking he grew up normally? NO!  The obvious reason is so that he could survive himself on his own.  If G-d wanted to fool us with that one he could have mentioned a baby bottle! (or fossilized it or whatever)

Here is another example. to argue a precedent for G-d fooling us.  I think the argument is flawed too
We have a tradition that G-d hides himself from us in this world. (and obviously in our times he does hide himself , moreso than in the past anyway)
Things appear "natural".
So, there, the argument is..  G-d created the laws of physics  to fool us into thinking that the world runs naturally , without G-d.
This argument suffers the same problem.  The obvious reason for creating the laws of physics or rather, for running the world following or in accordance with those laws, is so that we can live in it and anticipate things and build things and move where we want, and work in it.
If it didn't, we'd have problems, so you can't say it's just to fool us. Or, no other reason than to fool us.  Or that there's no reason , so it must be to fool us based on that tradition.

Let's look at the fossils again.
remember, we are assuming 24h days of creation here.
Now consider fossils being planted. There is really no obvious reason for fossils to create the illusion of an old earth, other than to confuse us into thinking the days are long when they aren't. To perhaps make the biblical account appear false(to one that assumes 24h).
That does not compared with the man example or the physics example.
So if it is the case, there really is no precedent for it.  Or rather, those examples don't work as good precedents.

another point(less thought through).. man really was mature(he had just skipped the ageing process), the earth really is run in accordance with the laws of physics. It's not like false evidence planted, as the mature earth(young earth!) people would say.  The young earth people, the L rebbe and other charedim anyway, are saying the earth really is young, and fossils are just planted to fool us. This inherent lying/fooling doesn't exist in the other examples(if anybody is fooled into thinking that Adam did age to that age-20, and that because of the laws of physics, there is no G-d running things, then that's accidental not inherent in the evidence). So the analogies don't work in that sense either.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:40:37 AM by q_q_ »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »
<ssnip>
  Yes q_q Sweetie! THATS THE ONE!! See, I am doing GOOD! Arent you proud of me, I ALMOST had it memorized. HUGS q_q :fist:

I'm sure you're singing right now! Or were then anyway!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 10:25:58 AM »
Personally I dont have a problem with the concept that Hashem created a mature world. This is not G-d trying to actively fool us, but is an aspect of his trying to hide himself in nature. Remember that the word we use for World, Olam really expresses the idea of hiddenness. After Adam & Eve were evicted from Gan Eden the L-rd erected barriers to return. Is it not possible that making the world physically appear as if it is older is one way Hashem makes himself more hidden from us. His hidden aspect is one of his attributes which contribute to the idea of free-will. If G-d were visible and provable through science would anyone ever transgresss his spiritual laws? I dont think that this is done as a way of 'fooling' humanity, more as a way of testing it.

In my way of looking at things there may be a combination of explanations why our science comes to different conclusions than our Torah. It is also true that the Kabbalistic accounts do discuss other worlds being created and destroyed and the concept that days are thousands of years in Hashems eyes.

muman613

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
My view is that modern man came about around 6000 years ago.
That is, we became civilised 6000 years ago.
Before that, we may have been rather barbaric.
And then, half a million years ago we may have been more savage.
A million years ago or more, we may have been rather animal-like.

That sounds reasonable.  But there are plenty of 'men' out there that are still savages.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »

That sounds reasonable.  But there are plenty of 'men' out there that are still savages.

what is incredible is that africans didn't even discover writing until europeans introduced it to them.  In thousands of years they produced nothing, no material or recorded thought.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
<ssnip>

HUGS q_q  :-*  Your my FAV Kahanist that is left !
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »

what is incredible is that africans didn't even discover writing until europeans introduced it to them.  In thousands of years they produced nothing, no material or recorded thought.

No Writing... No Wheel.. No architecture (Huts don't count)... No Monetary system.. some tribes untouched by outsiders don't even have words for colors or numbers above 3 in their languages.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 12:58:12 PM »
<ssnip>

HUGS q_q  :-*  Your my FAV Kahanist that is left !

Left!!!!!! What are you talking about.  I'm right!!!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »

No Writing... No Wheel.. No architecture (Huts don't count)... No Monetary system.. some tribes untouched by outsiders don't even have words for colors or numbers above 3 in their languages.

that reminds me of a comedian talking about how they can't count past 3. Any number past 3 was just some word.   Also reminds me of a comedy where prior to inventing the wheel, some people were huffing and puffing trying to cart something on 4 square blocks.

Their primitiveness is a slight issue ..
According to the Torah, Adam,spoke hebrew the divine language. and we presume that even then it had fundamantal words of 1..10.  Since it's a divine language.. I wouldn't think much of it is man made. Adam presumably could count.
Yet these african tribespeople are SO primitive, it is like they are not from Adam.   The thing is though, they have produced , once in a blue moon, an Alan Keyes, who is clearly human, many once educated in the west, one can see are clearly human. Many can be a bit immoral and thick, but are still human.
So it's suprising how humans, if descended from Adam, could be SO primitive.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
It is believed that one of the major things which makes Humans more than animals is the power of speech. Our human ability to speak and understand is unique amongst all creations. I realize some may argue that other species have forms of communication but no animal comes close to human ability to express in words.

muman613

True but some animals are really intelligent, dolphins that play games of tag or baboons that form pacts and even rape and kill or single out another baboon they don't like, many animals have learned to use tools, monkeys that are capable of typing and memorizing images and remembering them on a screen.

There is even an elephant that can paint a picture of it's self

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
In the tenach, there is

cool math, qq
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »
It is believed that one of the major things which makes Humans more than animals is the power of speech. Our human ability to speak and understand is unique amongst all creations. I realize some may argue that other species have forms of communication but no animal comes close to human ability to express in words.

muman613

True but some animals are really intelligent, dolphins that play games of tag or baboons that form pacts and even rape and kill or single out another baboon they don't like, many animals have learned to use tools, monkeys that are capable of typing and memorizing images and remembering them on a screen.

There is a difference between immitating a behavior and learning it. I have seen monkeys on tv and in movies and they are indeed capable of immitating human behaviours but I dont think that they learn and are able to utilize the skill. Do you think monkeys and elephants are capable of building their own shelters? I dont think this is the case. Maybe they can use a bone as a hammer, but to apply it to building a structure is a whole new ball of wax. Monkeys and other animals don't have the creative spark. You know if you place 1Bil monkeys before 1Bil typewriters eventually they will write all of Shakespear... That doesnt mean that monkeys are capable of constructing sentences and paragraphs...

I think that you are looking at animals mimiking behaviours which they dont understand. I have seen circus animals and although they are interesting, I dont think they are capable of understanding what humans understand.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2008, 03:58:50 PM »
In the tenach, there is

cool math, qq

rabbi yitzchak of akko  has to take the credit!

and if he is right then , well, something like that is probably from something like Ruach HaKodesh . Which is a communication direct from G-d.
it's startling.
To have got to the number of 15 billion , that matches science at the moment , it's not explained by probability. And when you look at how, say, the muslims jump through hoops trying to find things that turn out to have been either  already known at the time, or 50/50, or just plain wrong, or wrong science of the time.   It's just incredible.  There are a few other things like that.
The rabbi a few hundred years ago that looked at a story in gemara and said it was a metaphor, that one day we would rule over another people and were moshiach not to come, we'd be thrown into the sea.
Or the Vilna Gaon that corrected a date in the zohar, that 3 towers would crash. No year was given, but the date - day and month, corresponded to 9/11 in 2001.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »

But more than that.
To look for the moral / ethical thinking that makes a human, and I suppose distinguishes him from the animals.
What makes a human a human is more than just physical form. Or, who he can mate with.

That is a very good point.   And that is exactly what the Torah is telling us. 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2008, 07:39:03 PM »
To the Torah Jews in discussion in this thread, I would remind you to consider what is the definition of "man" in the Jewish theology.   That perhaps holds the key to this entire discussion, whether we can iron out the uncertainties and specifics or not.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »
The biggest problems with scientific theories is carbon- and other dating. Dating is highly suspect. They date thing A through thing B, but then they turn around and date thing B back through thing A. It's a circular thing. The bottom line is that if an artifact is more than several thousand years old, its dating may be wildlely inaccurate. This is why I am very skeptical about their "billions of years." Scientists constantly change their theories - sometimes in most fundamental ways. They are often arrogant people who make the human being their G-d.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »

muman613

There is a difference between immitating a behavior and learning it. I have seen monkeys on tv and in movies and they are indeed capable of immitating human behaviours but I dont think that they learn and are able to utilize the skill. Do you think monkeys and elephants are capable of building their own shelters? I dont think this is the case. Maybe they can use a bone as a hammer, but to apply it to building a structure is a whole new ball of wax. Monkeys and other animals don't have the creative spark. You know if you place 1Bil monkeys before 1Bil typewriters eventually they will write all of Shakespear... That doesnt mean that monkeys are capable of constructing sentences and paragraphs...

I think that you are looking at animals mimiking behaviours which they dont understand. I have seen circus animals and although they are interesting, I dont think they are capable of understanding what humans understand.

muman613

Monkeys and other animals do not need to build the same types of shelters that humans require for survival. Keep in mind that Humans are on the whole, very vulnerable to our environment. We compensate by building large structures to protect us. Humans are also guilty of overrunning an area and using it to the point where it is not longer viable for life....only virus and other one celled animals are also guilty of that in nature.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »
This topic has been debated several times before on this forum.

Here's a link to the audio of a lecture Dr. Gerald Schroeder gave in Jerusalem on this very subject.

I think you'll find it informative and fascinating. A must listen for anyone truly interested in the fundamental question of the age of the universe in relation to the teachings of the Torah.

Copy and paste this address into your browser:

mms://ra.colo.idt.net/simpletoremember/misc/Dr_Gerald_Schroeder-Genesis_and_the_Big_Bang.mp3

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:43:40 PM by Muck DeFuslims »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 09:10:14 PM »
This topic has been debated several times before on this forum.

Here's a link to the audio of a lecture Dr. Gerald Schroeder gave in Jerusalem on this very subject.

I think you'll find it informative and fascinating. A must listen for anyone truly interested in the fundamental question of the age of the universe in relation to the teachings of the Torah.

Copy and paste this address into your browser:

mms://ra.colo.idt.net/simpletoremember/misc/Dr_Gerald_Schroeder-Genesis_and_the_Big_Bang.mp3

Enjoy.

I wouldn't have high hopes for this guy in audio.  I saw a video of him once. He rambled nervously and said some silly things . But his book is really good.
He may have some new books now. But when I looked into him, he put out 3 books .  One was not what I was looking for, the contents were just arguing look how great creation is, it must have had a designer. 
2 of them were brilliant. One was Genesis and the big bang. There was another one.

Some details in his physics  are problematic apparently. But his general idea is good..   The idea of including some physics or any science in a populist book, is not taken seriously by scientists .  I had a friend that refused to read it  'cos it's not peer reviewed. So they could write any nonsense, they are targetting the ignorant masses.  Later I found that another orthodox physicist, Natan Aviezer, criticised the method.. in his book Fossils and faith though without mentioning Shroeder's name.

Gerald Shroeder is largely based on Oral Traditions. So not relevant to christians.  But there is alot in there, it can blow you away. Really great stuff.
He is actually a Rabbi. (orthodox). I thin khe became one after discovering what he did . 

Natan Aviezer just looks at the plain text.  He has 2 books. Fossils and Faith, and "In The Beginning".  I have read the former, it was quite good. I haven't read the latter. The latter is meant to be very good. 

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »
I wouldn't have high hopes for this guy in audio.  I saw a video of him once. He rambled nervously and said some silly things . But his book is really good.
He may have some new books now.

I haven't seen any video of Dr. Schroeder, but he comes across very well in the audio lecture. I was very impressed by his presentation.

It's free to listen to, so what have you got to lose ?

He does have a new book coming out which he briefly talked about during a recent interview on the Tamar Yonah show.

One of the things that impressed me about the lecture in Jerusalem was Schroeder's references to the teachings of our sages (particularly those of the Ramban) on this contentious issue.

Even if one chooses to disagree with Schroder's assertions and conclusions, there's some fascinating information delivered in his lecture.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »

I haven't seen any video of Dr. Schroeder, but he comes across very well in the audio lecture. I was very impressed by his presentation.

He does have a new book coming out which he briefly talked about during a recent interview on the Tamar Yonah show.

One of the things that impressed me about the lecture in Jerusalem was Schroeder's references to the teachings of our sages (particularly those of the Ramban) on this contentious issue.

Even if one chooses to disagree with Schroder's assertions and conclusions, there's some fascinating information delivered in his lecture.

yes, i've read his books. He does come up with some very interesting traditions.

By the way, regarding some things in his big bang book, here is a very terse technical criticism..by the logic master!
http://www.dovidgottlieb.com/comments/CommentsGenesisBigBang.htm
Shroeder's book is a -great- book . As is the other one of his that I read. It came up with some particularly interesting quotes from the RAMBAN..

Here it is
I recall 3 books.. one I didn't like

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Gerald%20L.%20Schroeder

this is the one i didn't like
The Hidden Face of G-d: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth by Gerald L. Schroeder (Paperback - April 30, 2002)
(JUST INTELLIGENT DESIGN ARGUMENT. NOT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR)
may be of interest if it is what you are looking for. 
It's the one with hte Sky picture and the biological picture.

THIS BOOK BELOW.. IS GREAT . the one with the picture of the hand on it!
The Science of G-d: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom by Gerald L. Schroeder (Paperback - Oct 20, 1998)

That one, Science of G-d by shroeder, and Genesis and the Big Bang.
GREAT books by him.  I read both and recommend both.

But they are reliant on oral traditions so not of interest to christians.

I also suggest  Prof Natan Aviezer's stuff. He believes in an old earth. And he just bases himself on the plain text. And science.  He is an orthodox jew too. And does seem to be less radical in his science. He is not radical at all in his science. Very conservative. Apparently he worked with Hawkings (I heard that in an interview he had with Tamar Yonah!). It's a shame her itnerviews aren't archived.  His would be of interest to christians, it's more plain text.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »
Quote from: Muck DeFuslims on November 18, 2008, 09:34:26 PM

Hello Muck,

I believe that SimpleToRemember.com also has Gerald Schroeders video available for download... Let me find it...

Quote from: Muck DeFuslims on November 18, 2008, 09:34:26 PM

Hello Muck,

I believe that SimpleToRemember.com also has Gerald Schroeders video available for download... Let me find it...

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
Thank you, muman613.

I believe I've stumbled across that link before, but since I'm on dial-up never downloaded the video.

Thanks for reminding me about it.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 10:55:28 PM »
The biggest problems with scientific theories is carbon- and other dating. Dating is highly suspect. They date thing A through thing B, but then they turn around and date thing B back through thing A. It's a circular thing. The bottom line is that if an artifact is more than several thousand years old, its dating may be wildlely inaccurate. This is why I am very skeptical about their "billions of years." Scientists constantly change their theories - sometimes in most fundamental ways. They are often arrogant people who make the human being their G-d.

In the past few years dating techquines have been refined to the point when this is no longer true

Although some of the details have become much more clear over the years...the broad strokes have remained unchanged for quite some time.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor