Author Topic: What we can never understand  (Read 444 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
What we can never understand
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:13:56 AM »
In terms of how to live our lives, the Torah gives concrete answers that we can apply.  The Torah is, in my opinion, the essential aspect of Judaism.  Reform Jews try to minimize the Torah's importance.  I think that they are really missing the point of what Judaism is.

However, there is little in Judaism that defines the mysteries of what G-d is.  We know what God has done (in relation to mankind), we know His relationship to Jews and Christians in particular, but we don't know very much about what G-d is.  And I don't think that we can ever know this, at least not on this temporal plane.  I can accept the fact that G-d transcends understanding.  But I would like to offer a metaphor as to why I think we are incapable of understanding.

Imagine a two-dimensional creature.  It lives on a sheet of paper.  It can see side to side but it cannot see up.  To this creature, there is no such thing as up.  It invents tools to discover how old this piece of paper is that he is living on.  He creates telescopes so that he can see to the edges of the piece of paper.  He understands all the science that exists so that he can understand the nature of his paper and the other creatures that share the piece of paper with him.  He is given and establishes laws that allow him to live in harmony with others on his piece of paper.  And ulitmately, he struggles to make his piece of paper a better piece of paper, at least better than when he was born into it.

But he cannot look up (or down).  There is no such concept to him.  But the reality is this:  Beyond this piece of paper, there is a whole extra dimension that does exist.  What does this extra dimension look like?  I cannot say, because I happen to be living on a piece of paper, and I call it "the universe".  No matter how far I develop, I will never be able to conceive of anything beyond that.

That is the only way that I can conceptualize G-d;  He transcends my universe and is beyond what I am capable of experiencing or understanding.  Some of us have the sense to realize that there is something beyond that which we can conceive.  Although we don't know it's nature, we know it is there. Unfortunately, there are some who do not or cannot understand this.  They are limited to their piece of paper and I feel sorry for them. 

The mysteries of G-d are beyond human understanding.  I accept that as a person who cannot physically transcend his plane.  But that is all the more reason to ponder G-d and contemplate now and then, but more importantly, why we should follow His rules-the Torah.  I like the fact that we can still do what Abraham did 3,500 years ago.  We can look up at the stars and know.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: What we can never understand
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:37 AM »
Shalom Zachor_Ve_Kavod,

We understand Hashem in the way he relates to us. This is how we derive the 'names ' of Hashem, as descriptive titles about his relationship to us. The only thing we can understand is the way we relate to the world he created, and in effect he relates to us. History is the one aspect of Hashem which the Jewish people are keenly aware of. In our davening we are reminded of his providence in removing the Jewish people from the harsh bondage of Mitzrayim. The Song at the Sea which reminds us of the dead Egyptians and the awesome fact that the Jews walked on the dry bed amids the sea.

Torah Judaism, when practiced by a Jew, gives one the ability to keep the creators light before all of us. I wear tzit-tzits and they assist me in keeping Hashem in my mind at all times, even at work. I think that all Jews should seek to improve their relationship with the creator through his mitzvot. This is the true meaning of mitzvot; a way to come close to Hashem.

We don't have to know everything about G-d to believe in him. We have to be able to learn, to ask questions, and to grow in our belief. As you so brilliantly point out that Abraham was able to discover the truth of Hashem in a world where he was completely hidden. Our father Abraham was a brilliant man and one who had ultimate faith and belief in G-d. His kindness was his mosts cherished character trait.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14