Author Topic: Jewish young fool involved in killing of Ecuadorian  (Read 1243 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Jewish young fool involved in killing of Ecuadorian
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
http://www.thejewishweek.com/viewArticle/c36_a14071/News/New_York.html       

Kosher Butcher’s Son Tied To Patchogue Hate Crime

Happier times: The murder of Ecuadorian immigrant Marcelo Lucero, above, unleashed an outpouring of sympathy across Long Island.
by Doug Chandler
Special To The Jewish Week

When the news broke last week of a modern-day lynching of an Ecuadorian immigrant at the hands of a gang of seven high school students in Patchogue, L.I., leaders of the Jewish community stood in the forefront of groups condemning the senseless hate crime and expressing solidarity with the area’s Latino residents.

The American Jewish Committee organized a rally against hate four days after the Nov. 8 murder, and one of the village’s two synagogues, Temple Beth El of Patchogue, hosted a public forum last Friday.

Both the rally and the forum, sponsored by the village and the state Division of Human Rights, drew rabbis who spoke of their horror at the death of Marcelo Lucero, 37, and of the need for healing.

But what

Jewish leaders didn’t know until much later, as it turns out, was that the driver of the SUV in which the teens were riding, Jordan Dasch, 17, of Medford, is the son of a kosher butcher in Plainview, L.I.

As the story made national news, fueled by the dismissive comments of Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy — a staunch opponent of illegal immigrant workers on Long Island — word gradually leaked out about Dasch’s heritage. And as Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota prepared to present the case to a grand jury, a fuller, though incomplete, picture of the teenager began to emerge.

Dasch was a familiar face to some who shopped at the Kosher Food Emporium on Old Country Road, where he and his mother, Bobbie, occasionally worked. Family friends described him as a loner who was often picked on in school because his father, Lawrence, is Jewish.

He was not bar mitzvah, though, and the family is apparently unaffiliated with any synagogue. The spiritual leaders of two synagogues that serve the Medford community, including Temple Beth El, said they don’t know the family.

Dasch’s MySpace page featured a picture of a Jewish star with a Nazi swastika embedded in the middle, according to Long Island Wins, a pro-immigrant organization that downloaded the page before it was removed from the Web site. The group, based in Port Washington, claimed that Dasch referred to himself on the social networking site as a “Nazi Jew.”

Dasch and others teens, all of them classmates at Patchogue-Medford High School, gathered in a local park on the night of the slaying when one of the teens suggested that they go “beat up some Mexicans,” authorities said. They later spotted Lucero and a friend near the Patchogue train station. And then, like a lynch mob, they closed in on the pair, hurling ethnic taunts, according to Assistant District Attorney Nancy Clifford.

One of the teenagers punched Lucero in the face, authorities said, and in the scuffle that followed, Jeffrey Conroy, 17, allegedly plunged a knife into Lucero’s chest, killing him. The friend with him that night was not harmed.

The assailants fled but were quickly arrested by police, who had seen them walking through the community earlier in the evening. Police charged them with felony gang assault, and Conroy was charged with manslaughter as a hate crime. The seven pleaded not guilty at their arraignments on Monday. Authorities were also checking reports that, shortly before the stabbing, they may have beaten another Hispanic man who was walking alone on the street.

Dasch’s father is said to be distraught. He has told friends that his son, a high school senior, said he did not know all of the other teens who rode in his family’s car that fateful night, that he remained in the back of the pack and that he didn’t engage in the fight. He does, however, know Conroy, whose family is said to be well known in the community for their active support of various charities.

The lawyer retained by the family, Michael Gajdos, of Patchogue, told The Jewish Week that the family lives in an integrated area and that he has been told that the younger Dasch has black and Hispanic friends — not the kind of friends a “hater” would hang around with. Gajdos also said that neither Jordan Dasch nor either of the family’s two older children have ever had any problems with law enforcement in the past. He described the parents as shocked and “trying to come to grips” with the incident.

Members of the community have been mourning Lucero, a Patchogue resident who reportedly immigrated to the United States 16 years ago and worked at a dry-cleaning business in Riverhead.

Calls have also gone out for reflection and healing, with school officials promising workshops to address intolerance, and the State Division of Human Rights saying that other forums will take place in the future. Among the organizations that have contacted the school district is the Anti-Defamation League, according to Joel Levy, the ADL’s New York regional director, and Manuel Sanzone, principal of the local high school.

In the wake of the murder, one of the most dramatic gestures came from AJC’s Long Island Chapter, which has already built bridges with Long Island’s Hispanic community through the Latino-Jewish Council, a group it organized three years ago. The chapter printed posters with an image of the Statue of Liberty and the words, “We Are All One,” and urged residents and shopkeepers to display them prominently. The move recalled an episode 15 years ago in Billings, Mont., when, in reaction to anti-Semitism, paper menorahs suddenly appeared in windows throughout the city to demonstrate that Jews there were not alone.

“People need to speak out when others are targeted because of their race, ethnicity or religion,” said Caroline Levy, the chapter’s executive director, who noted that the murder took place immediately before the 70th anniversary of Kristallnacht, the anti-Jewish pogrom in Germany. That, in itself, was a reminder that “these kinds of incidents can happen to any group,” she said.

But along with those calls has come an intense debate over what some say is a climate of hate that led to the killing and other incidents. Much of the debate has focused on Steve Levy, the county executive, who, shortly after news of the killing broke, told a reporter that the crime would be “a one-day story” anywhere but on his home turf.

In the past, the county executive has tried to deputize county police to act as immigration agents, signed legislation to bar undocumented immigrants from working for county contractors and sought to drive day laborers from local streets. He also founded a national organization to lobby for crackdowns and appeared on “Lou Dobbs,” the CNN host who has long been a vocal critic of illegal immigration.

In the past week, however, Suffolk County’s Levy (who attends a Catholic parish) has apologized for the “one-day” comment and delivered a televised address to residents. In his speech, given Tuesday night, he noted the irony of how the murder nearly coincided with Kristallnacht and said he hoped Lucero’s death would not be in vain.

“Perhaps it can be spark for all of us — yours truly included — to admit our faults, to work more closely with one another, to pay more attention to what our children are doing and to pay more attention to what we say,” Levy said. “Words do matter, and I will do all I can to help ensure that my words are as sensitive as possible toward meeting our goal to heal and to unite.”

Earlier in the week, Levy announced the creation of a five-point plan to fight hate and promote tolerance in the county’s schools and neighborhoods. Among other things, the plan would create a Hispanic liaison between the Suffolk Police Department and the Latino community and work with school boards and PTA’s in combating hate and seek donations for the victim’s family. Advocates for immigrants in the county, as well as Levy himself, have said that hate crimes have gone unrecorded in the area because undocumented immigrants are afraid to contact the police for fear of being arrested and deported.

One of those closely following the discussion is Renee Ortiz, 35, co-chairwoman of the Latino-Jewish Council and, at one point, Steve Levy’s director of minority affairs.

Ortiz, now the chief deputy clerk of the Suffolk County Legislature, believes that the policies and proposals of “certain public officials” have fueled a climate of hate, whether or not that was their intention. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we had a murder and other bias incidents simultaneously,” she said, referring to the killing in Patchogue and other episodes in the past few days, including the distribution of Ku Klux Klan pamphlets in Islip Terrace.

“It’s very personal for me on all levels,” said Ortiz, who left her job with Levy’s administration over policies she could no longer accept. Both Jewish and Hispanic, she described herself as acutely aware of the hatred because of both Jewish history and her sense that Latinos have become a “targeted group.”

“There’s definitely a timeline that leads up to what happened in Patchogue,” said Maryann Slutsky, the campaign director of Long Island Wins. The timeline includes some of Levy’s rhetoric, which she considers inflammatory, Slutsky said.

Although he agrees that “part of solution” relates to the community’s political leadership, Galen Kirkland, the state’s human rights commissioner, said he’s not interested in criticizing public figures or pointing fingers. He’s interested, instead, in promoting healing and unity, he said.

Similarly, Rabbi Steven Moss, chairman of the county’s Human Rights Commission and its Anti-Bias Task Force, said he believes accusations against the county executive and county lawmakers distract from the real issue, which is the crime itself and the hatred harbored by the teens who allegedly participated in it. The question going ahead “is how we deal with young people and educate them in terms of how they should view human life.”

Rabbi Moss also commented on the news concerning Jordan Dasch, saying the community “might never know why he did what he did.” There are all kinds of motivations for why people behave as they do, he said.

“The lesson is not to wring our hands but to treat this as a call — a Torah call, if you will — to increase our education of positive values for the betterment of our children. ... The Torah calls [on] us to choose life.”

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Jewish young fool involved in killing of Ecuadorian
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »
This story demonstrates what can happen when the youth go far from the path which Jews are supposed to follow. I hope that this kid gets the ultimate penalty for this hate crime. Let his punishment be a lesson to all others who think they can intimidate others through violence.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
some people are just born bad, and it's such a struggle for them to behave decently that practically speaking, they can't!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
I think he should be tried and convicted for her crimes like anyone else would be, doesn't matter if he's Jewish or not.

These images speak for themselves

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »
What is weird is that a couple nights ago I was playing a videogame online with some creep who's NIC was "Jewish Nazi"... Everytime I fragged the kook I told him what a lowlife he was...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
What is weird is that a couple nights ago I was playing a videogame online with some creep who's NIC was "Jewish Nazi"... Everytime I fragged the kook I told him what a lowlife he was...

muman613

What game?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »
While all these people involved, including this "Jewish" Nazi,are scum of the earth and should fry, please note that it's only hate crimes against minorities that are ever publicized.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:26:55 PM »
What a freak  :o
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »

muman613

What game?

Hi White Israelite,

Ive been playing a First Person Shooter {FPS} called Nexuiz lately. It is alot like Quake, but better in many respects...

http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/

Check it out... If you play it maybe we could get-together online and do some damage !

muman613

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 04:26:06 AM »
Yes instead of just punishment for crime we have all the same PC sabat about being more tolerant, multicultist and inclusive and blaiming all society exept the criminal ...
This kid who was BTW as Jewish as Israeli "russian nazis" was self hating enough even without all this huzpah. Bravo for Rabbi Moss for mentioning real values instead.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 06:32:28 AM »
Its very sad to see something like this for many reasons. The first of many is that people like this victim don't deserve what happened to him. The kids that did this have not only shown what sort of animals they are but have set back any hope of local immigration reform policy to almost zero. I live on Long Island not all that far from Patchogue. Years back if you needed to buy anything the local mom and pop stores didn't carry you went into Patchogue. The main street had some of the best stores on the island. Over the years Patchogue like most towns  in East Suffolk that the Long Island Railroad passes through gained populations of low income minorities. Today that group is many of the illegals that have picked Long Island for a place to reside. Patchogue today is a shadow of its former self people have better places to shop and the town although very nice in places has problems. The main street where the stores are have day laborers cooped up in bunches and people don't like to walk around when you have groups of illegals loitering around most of the morning. This is becoming a problem in most of the local main streets in average communities here on Long Island but the ones that have rail transportation get hit the hardest.
When Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy took office a few years back he came in with a strong policy on illegals living 20 or more to a house or apartment and day laborers hanging out on corners waiting to be picked up. For a Democrat he really surprised me he has tried to do some very good things for Suffolk County. In short order he was made a villain by his own party and had to cut back on many policies that would have made the places that attract illegals to Suffolk County unattractive. Now this group of hooligans have put the icing on the cake and have made it almost impossible for Levy to touch the issue because public sympathy will be with the illegals. With the down turn in the economy its going to be a rough time dealing with issues like this. Illegals with no work will become desperate and start committing crimes that they may not have if work was available. People seeing this will become more aggressive when they see that law enforcement can't or won't deal with the problem. When I saw this issue in the local news I said to myself  if only this group of thugs would have put their efforts to better use and joined a local political or civics group. If they had worked at highlighting local illegal immigration policy reform in a positive way they may have gone on to better things. Now they have created a problem not only for themselves but also for the people of Suffolk County.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 07:14:45 AM »
Was this Equadorian an ilegal alien? I don't support this kind of vigilantism neither but I'm curius why was his emigration status was ommited. 
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »
Was this Equadorian an ilegal alien? I don't support this kind of vigilantism neither but I'm curius why was his emigration status was ommited. 
Good point. You never, ever hear of the hate crimes, often including murder, that illegal alien Aztlanists commit against whites (who they call the Gringo or Yankee).

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 09:24:34 AM »
Good point. You never, ever hear of the hate crimes, often including murder, that illegal alien Aztlanists commit against whites (who they call the Gringo or Yankee).
I understand that his status is legal but the people who killed him were out to get illegals so the spotlight is being shined on that aspect of the crime.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
I noticed something....the news article said the kid was picked on in school because his father was Jewish. Does that imply his mother is not? That could explain the confusion with his identity.
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com