Author Topic: low paid teachers in africa - what happens?  (Read 892 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
low paid teachers in africa - what happens?
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »
I was just watching a program about problems in Africa.

The african narrating the program was describing a problem that teachers were not being paid enough, and as a result, were taking the money off pupils!!!!!!

Refusing to teach unless pupils gave them money. Or only teaching pupils that gave them money.  (besides their salaries)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: low paid teachers in africa - what happens?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »

The african narrating the program was describing a problem that teachers were not being paid enough, and as a result, were taking the money off pupils!!!!!!

Refusing to teach unless pupils gave them money. Or only teaching pupils that gave them money.  (besides their salaries)

Thats sorta built in to the system there.  Like Being a Cop in Mexico.  You get the real money from extortion.  Otherwise... they'd  probably be doing something else.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »

Thats sorta built in to the system there.  Like Being a Cop in Mexico.  You get the real money from extortion.  Otherwise... they'd  probably be doing something else.

how much dinner money do these kids have ;-)

no doubt rather than not pay, the kids do crime to get the money.. and then prob keep it and don't go to school anyway!

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:54:12 AM »

no doubt rather than not pay, the kids do crime to get the money.. and then prob keep it and don't go to school anyway!

These shows will always 'talk around' the sticky subjects regarding Africa.  Same thing with me... I teach a portion of my class on Developing markets... and I really cant say whats on my mind about why Africa has made no progress while other countries that were just as devastated by colonialism.... make huge progress in other parts of the world.  Its the ultimate taboo... to suggest that something is fundamentally different with the people... rather than the circumstances.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:17:31 AM »
 "Give me your lunch money, kid." In africa the school bullies are the teachers.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »

I wouldn't say that.  That makes it look like a western situation but the other way around.

The kids probably understand that they'd do the same if they were teachers.. they don't see it as an injustice by the teachers. Even the narrator, felt that the problem was purely that teachers wren't getting enough of a salary, and that was the cause.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:20:15 AM »

I wouldn't say that.  That makes it look like a western situation but the other way around.

The kids probably understand that they'd do the same if they were teachers.. they don't see it as an injustice by the teachers. Even the narrator, felt that the problem was purely that teachers wren't getting enough of a salary, and that was the cause.

I am trying to understand what they are being paid for by the government; is it teaching?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »

I am trying to understand what they are being paid for by the government; is it teaching?

yes. That must be where some of the aid money goes.

It was an odd place, they had signs up saying something along the lines of
"Think about your career now. Sex can come later"

Then the aid packages which are meant to be free, are marked "not for resale", were being sold in shops. The guy asks the shopkeepers, the shopkeepers say they bought them off somebody but wouldn't mention the name.    He then goes out telling everybody these things are FREE.  I bet the shopkeepers were in serious trouble when that happened!

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »

[/quote]

Usually there's as much a problem with teachers not turning up as with pupils not attending. Also, lots of schools were burnt down in S. Africa as a result of liberation theology. Anyway, here in the UK we have a Race Relations Act, so I'd better shut up.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 12:29:41 PM »

Usually there's as much a problem with teachers not turning up as with pupils not attending. Also, lots of schools were burnt down in S. Africa as a result of liberation theology. Anyway, here in the UK we have a Race Relations Act, so I'd better shut up.

[/quote]

Yes.... you better not be intolerant to intolerance!!!!!