Author Topic: Jewish Star trek  (Read 722 times)

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
Jewish Star trek
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
Hi all,

I know that this is a bit unusual for the Forum but I think that Star Trek has dealt very well with some very important issues

There are some wonderful touching episodes that are well worth watching.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Jewish Star trek
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:19:09 PM »
Hi all,

I know that this is a bit unusual for the Forum but I think that Star Trek has dealt very well with some very important issues

There are some wonderful touching episodes that are well worth watching.

this is some suffering of some people that you think is similar to the holocaust..  I'm not watching it.

You should WARN people with a proper description that the video clip is related to the holocaust..

You should describe the video properly anyway.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
I wonder what JTF's position on William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy is. I know they are supposed to be Jewish but beyond that I don't really know their political leanings.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:59:06 PM »
I wonder what JTF's position on William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy is. I know they are supposed to be Jewish but beyond that I don't really know their political leanings.

I really don't know myself. I am generally not too interested in the personal lives of actors, it's really not that interesting overall.

I do think that the writers of the show dealt with a very important and sensitive issue in a way that can make people take some time to reflect on the real suffering that is the basis of the theme of this series. I have seen this happen among the sci fi fans that i know and have heard stories about teens and young adults who demanded that their parents tell them about the Holocaust without any "sugar coating" after watching...I think it has done good things in that respect.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 12:04:12 AM »

A few years ago Leonard Nimoy did some kind of art with naked girls wearing teffilin(male jewish prayer garments)..  So he'd be in the bad books of any religious jews.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »
I watched those clips.  They were from the series Start Trek Deep Space 9, I think. 

Very well done. 

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 12:15:07 AM »
I watched those clips.  They were from the series Start Trek Deep Space 9, I think. 

Very well done. 

Yes they were from DS9. I am glad that you liked them.

The Doctor

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 01:18:26 AM »

A few years ago Leonard Nimoy did some kind of art with naked girls wearing teffilin(male jewish prayer garments)..  So he'd be in the bad books of any religious jews.

That's not good. I wonder why "modern art" so often has to be either raunchy or hateful of religion, or both.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 01:58:28 AM »
Hello,

I think Nimoy is a good Jew despite his artwork. He has contributed his voice to a Jewish audio story preservation series. He does associate with Judaism. It is a well-known trekkie trivia that the vulcan 'live-long-and-prosper' hand gesture is derived from the hand positioning of the Kohens during the priestly blessing.

PS: In my early teens I was a Spock fanatic...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14