Poll

Should Thanksgiving be banned?

No
7 (38.9%)
No
11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Should Thanksgiving be banned?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline NRAJ

• Full JTFer
Should Thanksgiving be banned?
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:13:59 AM »
Just kidding,happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Should Thanksgiving be banned?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:23:42 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 12:27:27 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving :dance:

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:30:19 AM »
Very Funny!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!
 :::D

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »
I'm sure our fomer Retard-in-Chief would ban Thanksgiving if he could. Too bad he'll never be as much as a dogcatcher!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 01:24:54 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving!

We must remember to always give thanks to the source of all blessings. We do this in our daily prayers and the variety of blessings which we say through the day. I am one who is always aware of the blessings in my life and the source of my power.

Hashem is the source of all blessings, the shield of Abraham.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 01:35:56 AM »
Hahaha, I like the mockery  :::D

Happy Turkey  :dance:

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 01:45:30 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.
And, No. No religiuos Holiday has to be banned. The question is if Jews or Noahides should celebrate it or not.
First we must see if Thanksgiving is a neutral holiday to thank Hashem, or it is partcularly related to another religion/s.
But even if it is neutral, both Jews and Noahides are commanded not to create holidays by their own. Noahides are even forbidden to make a holiday from a Torah date (for example celebrtating the date of the end of the Flood, even though the date is mentioned in the Torah). Each Jew should consult his own Rav, it seems there are different opinions...I heard some Rav approved celebrating thanksgiving....

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 02:38:12 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh:
aka Someone Else

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »
On a 'serious' note... I recently received from Chabads AskMoses.com mail list the following:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/224,2172785/What-is-the-Jewish-view-on-Thanksgiving.html

"
What is the Jewish view on Thanksgiving?
by Rabbi Tzvi Shapiro

Question:

I am wondering what is the approach of Judaism to the observance of Thanksgiving holiday. Is it observed or recognized; if yes why, if no why?

Thanks

Answer:

Thanksgiving can be divided into three parts:

The idea. The day. The celebration.

The Idea:

Giving thanks is a very Jewish idea, as a matter of fact, as Jews we give thanks to G-d every day as soon as we wake up, right before we go to bed, and at least a hundred times in between.1

The Idea of thanks-giving is thus supported and celebrated by Judaism.

The Day:

Thanksgiving Day as a national American Holiday, is just that: a National American Holiday. As Jews we ought to commend America as a nation for deciding out of the goodness of its own heart to dedicate one day to give (or highlight) thanks to G-d. At the same time, as Jews there is no reason to limit our own thanks to one day, or to have an American chosen day represent the Jewish idea of thanks.

The Day of thanksgiving should be recognized and categorized as a noble American Holiday; Judaism doesn’t think it needs to be officially endorsed or adopted by Jewish institutions.

The Celebration:

There are two ways to give thanks to someone. A) Give him something you like, or you think he likes. B) Give him something he asked for. The American Thanksgiving gives thanks to G-d through the former. The Jewish idea of giving thanks to G-d is the latter. So if you feel the need to apply the adage “when in Rome do like the Romans” and thus celebrate Thanksgiving precisely the way our fellow citizens do, make sure it is a Kosher meal, and remember to recite the proper blessings. Additionally, don’t let the festivities of Thursday night’s dinner take away from your enthusiasm and celebration of the Friday night and Shabbat meals.

The Celebration of Thanksgiving is a marvelous human gesture. Judaism hopes you will also give thanks befitting of a Divine request.
"
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 04:53:45 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving!  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 07:15:01 AM »
If you had ever had a set of in-laws like I did, I'd say ban all holidays!  But, those days are gone.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 09:12:34 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving ! BTW what is that "[censored] Fireday" all about ?

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
 :laugh:  You mean Black Friday, the day when a bunch of morons get up early just too surround themselves with some of the most vile pigs in the attempt to fight over a plasma TV. 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »
:laugh:  You mean Black Friday, the day when a bunch of morons get up early just too surround themselves with some of the most vile pigs in the attempt to fight over a plasma TV. 
I have a feeling that the fights over store merchandise this year will not be as plentiful as store owners would like. I can never understand why people would put themselves through a ordeal like that. People in retail tell me its the worst day of the year.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 09:48:32 AM »
I have a feeling that the fights over store merchandise this year will not be as plentiful as store owners would like. I can never understand why people would put themselves through a ordeal like that. People in retail tell me its the worst day of the year.
That's it, Black Friday, consumerism at its worst.  :o

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 12:23:56 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »
YES YES YES!! Just the eating part. I have blown my diet already and we have not even had dinner yet...    :'(     The thanking God part is good though and we should do every day.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »
That's it, Black Friday, consumerism at its worst.  :o

The worst days of the year are tax free weekend. That's when everything gets thrown on the floor and there is absolutely no pushing through all the bodies to get down an aisle to clean it.

I'm going to have to go to work at 2am tonight and I'll be stuck there until 11am because the store I work at opens at 5am. So basically I don't get to really enjoy my holiday the way I'd like to. I'll enjoy eating dinner in a while though :)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
Personally, I don't care or have much use for non-religious holidays. I would be happy if the only holidays in a country are religious, with the possible exception of 2 secular holidays: an independence day and a veteran/memorial day. The idea of giving thanks is already a very big part of Judaism. I am sure it's so with Christianity as well, but I can't point to a specific holiday.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »
Very funny poll. That made me laugh.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim