Author Topic: Israelis mourn rabbi and wife slain in Mumbai  (Read 742 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Israelis mourn rabbi and wife slain in Mumbai
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:36:32 PM »
KFAR CHABAD, Israel – Rabbi Gavriel Noach Holtzberg and his wife Rivkah had no fear when they embarked on their mission to open a Jewish center in the Indian city of Mumbai, her brother said Saturday night as relatives in Israel prepared to bury the couple slain in a three-day terror spree.

The 29-year-old rabbi, a dual U.S.-Israeli citizen, and his 28-year-old Israeli wife were among nine killed in the center run by the ultra-orthodox Chabad-Lubavitch sect and nearly 200 dead in the 60-hour rampage by suspected Muslim militants. The carnage ended earlier Saturday.

"She went with courage to this mission in India," Rivkah's brother Shmuel Rosenberg told The Associated Press after the end of the Jewish Sabbath. He described her as a strong, industrious and intelligent woman with a nuanced mind. "She had no fear," and neither did her husband, he said.

On the streets of Jerusalem, residents were aghast at the crime but all too accustomed to the pattern.

"It was a horrendous and horrible perpetration of malice and barbarism," said Michael Bregman, 42, of Jerusalem. But "it comes as no surprise" because militant groups have announced they are "going to target Jews wherever they are," he added.

Israel's Foreign Ministry said nine people were killed in an attack on the Chabad House, part of a spectacular assault on luxury hotels and other targets frequented by foreigners across the city. Most were Israelis, some with dual American citizenship, and all of them Jewish.

Indian commandos stormed the building on Friday, but none of the hostages was found alive.

The couple, members of the New York-based Chabad-Lubavitch sect who lived in both Brooklyn and Israel before they went to India in 2003, were sent on a mission to provide Jewish businesspeople and backpackers "with a kosher place to eat, a warm place to visit, put on phylacteries, hear a sermon, or receive a blessing from a rabbi," said Rivkah's brother.

Israelis living in the sprawling city were like family at the center, where Rivkah would cook for dozens of visitors every night, he said.

The Hasidic Chabad-Lubavitch sect has thousands of envoys on similar outreach missions all over the world.

The Holtzbergs will be flown to Israel for burial, Rosenberg said. A Chabad spokesman said they likely would be buried Monday.

The couple's toddler son Moshe, who celebrated his second birthday Saturday, was spirited out of the five-story building by a center employee Thursday morning, unharmed but his pants soaked with blood. Another son, who was ailing, was in Israel at the time.

By late Saturday, three other victims at the Chabad House in addition to the Holtzbergs had been identified: Bentzion Chroman, a dual U.S.-Israeli citizen, Rabbi Leibish Teitelbaum, a U.S. citizen who lived in Jerusalem, and an Israeli tourist, Yocheved Orpaz.

Israeli media reported that the victims were found wrapped in prayer shawls in accordance with Jewish burial tradition. The reports speculated that one of the hostages wrapped the bodies before he was killed.

At the Chabad sect's center in Israel, Kfar Chabad, Sabbath began before the hostages were confirmed dead. Orthodox Jews are forbidden to use phones or other electronic devices until the Sabbath ends at sundown Saturday. On Friday night, worshippers recited the Book of Psalms, prayers Jews sometimes invoke in the hope of averting tragedy.

But when the Sabbath ended, their worst fears were confirmed.

"Chabad is one big family. We all know everyone, so it is a terrible, intimate and profound loss," group spokesman Moni Ender said, speaking from Kfar Chabad.

The Israelis killed in Mumbai were the top story for Israeli media Saturday night and major networks dispatched reporters to the Indian city.

A little-known Muslim group with a name suggesting origins inside India claimed responsibility for the attacks. But Indian officials pointed a finger at neighboring Pakistan.

Israeli officials said the assault on the Jewish center was no coincidence.

"The fact that the attack took place at the Chabad House is the clearest sign that the attack was directed against Jews and Israelis," Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said Friday.

Israel's defense minister, Ehud Barak, wondered publicly if Indian security forces performed as competently as Israel, with its vaunted military, might have hoped.

The gunmen entered the Jewish center Wednesday night. But Indian commandos, some rappelling onto the roof by ropes from a helicopter, did not storm it until early Friday.

Barak acknowledged the complexity of ending multiple, simultaneous attacks, but said Indian forces were not on par with elite Israeli units.

"I'm not sure it had to last three days, but that's what happened," he said Friday night.

India has become a favorite destination for Israelis, and thousands of backpackers head there each year in what has become a coming-of-age ritual after military service.

Israel has in the past warned its travelers to maintain a low profile while visiting overseas and not to draw attention to themselves. But the Foreign Ministry has not issued a travel advisory on India since the Mumbai attack.

Arik Aronov, 25, said he "never felt unsafe" when he backpacked in India, though he said he steered clear of large groups of Israelis.

"I don't think that (Israelis) should be afraid of going there."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081129/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_india

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Israelis mourn rabbi and wife slain in Mumbai
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:36:16 PM »
Hashem Ykom Damam!!!

This morning, purposedly on Shabbat (so that they know I am not Jewish), I searched for Shype users in Muslim countries and delivered this message to everyone who was online: "Muslims destroyed the Twin Towers, Muslims Attacked Spain, Muslims attacked Britain, Muslims attack India and killed 200 innocent people. Muslims are terrorists. Islam is terror. In case you are a Muslim by education and you are not a killer, leave that death cult. You can still be a good and free person. Change is possible!". I used an online traslator to write it also in Arabic.  Most of them did not reply. One just replied that he was a good Muslim, that he didn't kill, and felt no need to change religion. But one from Algeria replied:
He- Muslims do not attack, they defend themselves. The US attacks us.
Me- But why did you attack India?
He-India is a friend of Israel.....
Me-Jews were murdered by Germans, and not even one Jew is attacking Germans or doing acts of terrorism......
He- This is a global war, and everyone can kill everyone....
Me- You, Muslims are doing a global war against Humanity.
He- What's your religion?
Me- I am not a Christian and not a Jew. I believe only In Moses and the samaritan Torah.
He- Yes, Moses was a prophet. But them Jesus came. And thean Muhammad came.
Me- But I don't believe in them.
He- The Holy Koran is the word of G-d.
Me-Torah is is 3600 years old (to Samaritans, Jews count 3320) and more accurate.
He- The Koran is the latest book and the latest Law abolishes the former. It's the common practice in all States.
Me- Then if I wrote a new book, you'd believe also in me?
He- I don't understand you.
Me- If I wrote a new book saying that I'm a prophet you'd also follow me...since you say you follow Muhammad for having written the latest book....
He- But the Koran is the word of G-d.
Me- How do you know it's true?
He-Because no one has been able to write a book so perfect. Many things science has now discovered, are in the Koran.
Me- Rabbi Bar Yochai also wrote in the Zohar about the telegraph more than one thousand years before it was invented.
He- I accept technology no matter if discovered by a Jew.
Me- But Rabbi Bar Yochai did not invent it, he predicted it would be invented by 1840. And it was invented at that date! Would you believe in Jews then?
He-Do you believe in G-d.
Me- Yes, I do believe in G-d, but not in the Koran. There is a Samaritan script on my front door. Jews may see it, Christians may see it... and none of them has ever attacked me... if a Budhist saw it, he wouldn't attack me either. If I say I don't believe in them, they leave me alone. But if I say I don't believe in Muhammad, you, Muslims would kill me. You have no peace with anybody. I hope the US would destroy all your "holy" sites soon. Islam is terror!!!!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:26:16 PM »
RaulMarrio,

Those are some spooky Muslims. They are able to justify their actions with lies and deceit. There is nothing to talk about with these people. They are sick in the head and will not change.

I like the line "This is a global war, everyone can kill everyone..." This is the Korans argument and is why the Islamic cult must be stopped. They can justify killing anyone for any reason. I wish they would just kill themselves and spare the world from their sickness.

Islam is a religion borne from Ishmael and is following in the footsteps of the wild one. The world will be rid of their evil soon enough.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
good logic Raulmarrio2000

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »
I am for open dialogue with the muslims.  My prefered medium of speech is long range missiles and cluster bombs.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:39:29 PM »
Raulmarrio, please be careful with these moosies. 

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »
Raulmarrio, please be careful with these moosies. 

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 03:17:28 AM »
I am for open dialogue with the muslims.  My prefered medium of speech is long range missiles and cluster bombs.

:clap:  :camel: :nuke:
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.