Author Topic: Does anybody here have any personal experience with asbestos?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Does anybody here have any personal experience with asbestos?
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »
I'm working on a research assignment and I am just curious.  I've surrounded by a mountain of technical data, but I would be interested in any personal stories.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Does anybody here have any personal experience with asbestos?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
I know it can cause a cancer called mesothelioma. You might find some stories about that online if you look. I only know that because of some lawyer commercials that were on though.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »
The fibers are extremely sharp and worm their way through lung tissue throughout a person's life, and there is no way to get rid of them (they last forever). They cause massive scarring (asbestosis) and the lung tissue, under this extreme attack, turns to a radical solution to fight its tormentor by becoming malignant.

I am not 100% sure though whether the asbestos particles themselves do all the damage, or if it is an immune overreaction to them.

Moshe92

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
My high school which will be torn down soon was built with asbestos. I heard it was built just before asbestos became illegal where I live.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »
My high school which will be torn down soon was built with asbestos. I heard it was built just before asbestos became illegal where I live.

Most old schools have Asbestos in the floor the tiles are made with it

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »
My Father has asbestosis.

I know 2 people who died of mesothelioma.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:11:45 AM »
A good freind of mine's father died of mesothelioma recently and he worked around asbestos for a few years.  It was stagnant for about 20 years and it is a very scary condition.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »
Look for a book called Fatal Deception....The untold story of Asbestos... By Michael Bowker. I have it in audio book... ISBN 0-7435-2858 it runs 7 hours and gives you a very good overview on how asbestos was mined and used here in America. People think that this stuff is no longer being used but it still is to a limited extent and tons of it are in the everyday world we move around in. I have worked in two trades that use Asbestos extensively. Automotive and construction. Asbestos used for brake linings is one of the best materials for the job. In construction it was used for more things than I could list. Floors tile, fire proofing, siding, pipe insulation. The replacements they have come up with to use instead of asbestos are not near as good and in most cases cost more to buy. I see where schools are doing abatement's removing floor tile and fireproofing that is not friable in my opinion causing more exposure by disturbing this stuff then if it was just left in place. The big exposure from things like this are to the people that install it once in place unless disturbed it will stay in place. What people don't realize is that this stuff has been in extensive use for over a hundred years in construction and in the automotive field millions of tons of Asbestos dust litter the roadways of America from car and truck brake in use over the past century. How do we abate that? In construction you would have to demolish most of the homes and buildings built before 1980 and even then some of the newer homes will have a percentage of this stuff present if tested. I think the greatest danger from this stuff is to the people who worked with it in mining and fabrication. Even for people like me who worked with and around it on an occasional level  would only have a low level exposure that may never cause a health issue. I think its good to move away from asbestos and see it removed through attrition but the time and money spent on some of the crazy abatement's they do I believe poses more of a hazard to the inhabitants. I have gone into buildings where this has just been done and could actually see some of the dust and smell the garbage in the air. If it was just left in place it would have been less of a risk. The book is great if you use it it will tell you everything you need to know on this issue. Once you start reading or listening you won't be able to stop its that interesting.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
In Israel Asbest-cement is ubiquitous, mainly as a rooftop for garages, workshops and warehouses. I think the brittle asbest is not so common because Insulators are not commonly used in construction.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
In my country it is forbidden. Tens of thousands of houses have to be redeveloped.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
The church of scientologys cruise ship had blue asbestos, anyways all I know is that it's an insulation and the particles if you breathe them can hook onto the lung and cause cancer.