Author Topic: Sephardic Ancestry Common Among Spaniards, Study Says  (Read 977 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: Sefardic Ancestry Common Among Spaniards, Study Says
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
This shouldn't be shocking. 

Savage  talks about this all the time.  Many Spanish Christians in the 1500's were actually 'Marranos'  who secretly practiced judaism for several decades.... until their culture and religion eventually became lost in the following centuries.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »
but in Spain there are about 50 million only a few thousand maybe Hundred thousand can be Jews
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Spain anyhow no offense to any Spainards
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:59:31 AM »
but in Spain there are about 50 million only a few thousand maybe Hundred thousand can be Jews

I think they were a sizable percentage in the 1400's.   (Im sure the population of spain was much smaller then).  Spain was ironically a safehaven for Jews in the early 1400's.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »

I think they were a sizable percentage in the 1400's.   (Im sure the population of spain was much smaller then).  Spain was ironically a safehaven for Jews in the early 1400's.

I think alot of the hidden Jews migrated to mexico and then to new mexico texas and arizona andfew sheep herders to Idaho,i read that somewhere

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline NRAJ

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
In the end,does it really matter?Okay,so one-fifth of the Spanish population is part Jewish in some way.My father was a Jew,my mother Italian and I was raised Catholic.Would you consider me a Jew?Do I consider myself a Jew? Of course we don't.Those Spanish with Jewish blood most likely also have ancestors that were inquisitors.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »

I must be a Spainiard then, my parents are both from Morrocco, we're Sefaradic and from what I understand the Jews of Morrocco originally came from Spain.  ;D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 01:35:46 PM »

I think alot of the hidden Jews migrated to mexico and then to new mexico texas and arizona andfew sheep herders to Idaho,i read that somewhere

Hidden are Crypto/Marrano Jews, many came here to USA, I am one of them. Portuguese Crypto.  My grandfather fled b4 the turn of the century and swore that there would be no religion in our households.  There wasnt- they did Catholicism in cover even here in the states. Forced Indoctrinations went on from the 1400's- even up until 1950's.  It is a SCREWEY way to be, b/c in a crypto atmosphere, there is both Judaism, and Catholicism/Christianity.  These people (myself inc.) are not liked in christian circles b/c of our Jewish roots, not liked in Jewish circles b/c of our Christian roots. This really SUX for me, considering I am really a nice person.  :'(  Christians get angry b/c I love Torah and Judaism, Jews get angry b/c I read the N.T.  At LEAST most people have been nice to me here, of which I am grateful for.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »
I'm sort of one of them, too. My mother converted to Orthodox Judaism in the 1940's, from an Italian background. She then met and married my dad (a born Jew), and I was born about 15 years later.

In the 1980's when I got into genealogy, I found out from a distant cousin on her side that their family has Jewish origins via Spain (they had fled to Sicily and Italy after the Inquisition in Spain). Lots of clues, things I never picked up on but should have (such as that my grandmother would burn two candles on Friday night, calling it "an old family custom"; or that my grandmother refused to eat pork or have crucifixes in her home...she said pork was "dirty and full of worms" and that crucifixes were "bad luck".)

I never picked up on all those clues which I now know were converso clues. I just thought they were Italian things (Grandmom also used to tie a red string to things when they were new, like a house doorknob or a car...I later found out that is from the Kabbalah...and Sephardic Jews were/are heavily into Kabbalah.)
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 01:51:25 PM »
I'm sort of one of them, too. My mother converted to Orthodox Judaism in the 1940's, from an Italian background. She then met and married my dad (a born Jew), and I was born about 15 years later.

In the 1980's when I got into genealogy, I found out from a distant cousin on her side that their family has Jewish origins via Spain (they had fled to Sicily and Italy after the Inquisition in Spain). Lots of clues, things I never picked up on but should have (such as that my grandmother would burn two candles on Friday night, calling it "an old family custom"; or that my grandmother refused to eat pork or have crucifixes in her home...she said pork was "dirty and full of worms" and that crucifixes were "bad luck".)

I never picked up on all those clues which I now know were converso clues. I just thought they were Italian things (Grandmom also used to tie a red string to things when they were new, like a house doorknob or a car...I later found out that is from the Kabbalah...and Sefardic Jews were/are heavily into Kabbalah.)

Many links are here for you to read: 

http://www.sephardicgen.com/crypto_sites.htm
  http://www.cryptojews.com/cryptoJewsinPortugal.htm

http://library.duke.edu/research/subject/guides/jewishstudies/special_subjects/crypto_anusim.html
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates