Author Topic: SNL's Paterson Skit Causes a Stir  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
SNL's Paterson Skit Causes a Stir
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
Live from New York, it's time to mock the disabled!

With Sarah Palin out of the national eye, "Saturday Night Live" turned its satirical guns toward another governor, New York's David Paterson. However, this time the laughs weren't quite as hearty. It's one thing to mock a moose-hunting beauty queen, but quite another to laugh at the visually impaired.

Governor Paterson is a legally blind man who took over for the disgraced Eliot Spitzer earlier this year. SNL's Fred Armisen portrayed Paterson as a bumbling man who is completely unqualified for the position. Funny? The studio audience seemed to like the skit, but many groups are outraged and speaking out.

The National Federation of the Blind issued a statement calling the characterization "absolutely wrong" and criticized the show for playing up the stereotype that blind people are "incapable of simple tasks." Meanwhile, Governor Paterson's office issued a statement that the show should be able to "find a way to be funny without being offensive." Indeed, while comedy is in the eye of the beholder, many of the knee-slappers at Paterson's expense seemed to be, as the New York Post put it, rather "stock." Wandering aimlessly? Confused? One could argue that Mr. Magoo pulled the same gags a lot better 50 years ago.

Still, funny or not, searchers sought out the "SNL" video. Queries for "snl david paterson" and "armisen david paterson" both surged on Sunday and continue to stay hot. "SNL" has yet to release a comment in response to the outrage, but if the heat keeps up, perhaps Mr. Armisen will invite the real governor to make an appearance. Hey, it (kinda) worked for Sarah Palin...
http://news.yahoo.com/news/us/story/ynews/ynews_en185

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: SNL's Paterson Skit Causes a Stir
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
i don't get it..it's offensive when it is patterson, but not when it is sara palin or anyone else...I hate political correctness.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »
I do think it makes it harder on disabled people to be portrayed in such a way. However as Dan said the real story here is the hypocrisy.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
The real reason for the double standard is because the governor is a shvartza. All the self hating jews have heart attacks when someone dares to belittle a shvartza.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
What kind of dumb ape thinks he can close the state budget by taxing soda pop  >:(
He should put some of his black brothers and sisters on a scale with rears the size of an earth mover and tax them by the pound. Hows that for an obesity tax  :eat:
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:58:17 AM »
What kind of dumb ape thinks he can close the state budget by taxing soda pop  >:(
He should put some of his black brothers and sisters on a scale with rears the size of an earth mover and tax them by the pound. Hows that for an obesity tax  :eat:

I would rather they tax soda pop and mcdonalds and not extra money from people who work harder.  It's all of those fat lazy people who are unhealthy that drink 30 cokes a day with their cheeseburgers that cause a crisis in our healthcare...and remember I'm talking about fat LAZY people who can do something about their health if they weren't so dumb and disgusting.  I say tax the heck out of them for the each disgusting piece of crap they eat.  Better that than a hard working lawyer, doctor, or business man like what obama wants to do.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
Wow, the real Gov. Patterson looks inbred!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you see how close together his EYES are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »

HE is BLIND

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

HE is BLIND

I have met blind people and their eyes are not close together like that.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »

HE is BLIND

I have met blind people and their eyes are not close together like that.
He contracted an ear infection which spread to his optic nerve, leaving him with no sight in his left eye and severely limited vision in his right.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 02:59:34 PM »
the medias double standard really cheezes me off