Author Topic: Nuterei Katra  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Ronen Levi Yitzchak Segal

• Junior JTFer
Nuterei Katra
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »
To Hashem is the earth and its fullness,

I know we don't agree on everything, but you have always been very respectful to me here.

This is a video about this dangerous group.  I welcome any and all feedback.

May G-d Almighty bless and protect his people, Israel.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Nuterei Katra
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
Excellent video
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, friend.  May G-d Almighty bless you in all that you do.

Ronen Levi Yitzchak Segal

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »

I would love to get Reb Chiam's take on this.  I know he quite hated my last one.  But only if you have time, Reb Yid.

May G-d Almighty bless and protect his people, Israel.

Gut Shabbos to all!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »
Ronen, it is a good video.. and extremely important to have somebody with a black hat and beard make a video against neturei karta!

It deals only with the halachic issue, and that's good. I think the issue you raised is also not specific to neturei karta. What makes NK so bad is their pro arab sympathies - they want israel "eliminated", they believe we should compensate the palestinians for suffering we caused them.  But focussing on the halachic issue is good, though it's not very relevant to this section. I think the halachic issue needs a good look, and you have opened the way for that.

did you get the response  I PMed you?

Here it is posted here

"
nice video.. I hope this video goes further..

I spoke to a neturei karta type ..

he said, it's not true that if somebody comes to kill you, kill him first.  He said it's not the halacha at all.
The halacha is that if somebody comes to kill you,   run away.. then if he goes after you, you try to wound him, then if that doesn't work, you kill him.

It'd be really useful if you could you read all the relevant thing from the RAMBAM laws of murder, on this subject.

The other point about the 3 oaths not rebelling against the nations..
Where does it say that if you get permission or there is a sign, then you can go up en masse to israel ?
"

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:59:32 PM »
I think this is a good video.  I can't see anything with it that is incorrect or even really debatable.  Those who stand against G-d's people Israel will have to repent, and it's better that they do this sooner rather than later.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
Ronen, it is a good video.. and extremely important to have somebody with a black hat and beard make a video against neturei karta!

It deals only with the halachic issue, and that's good. I think the issue you raised is also not specific to neturei karta. What makes NK so bad is their pro arab sympathies - they want israel "eliminated", they believe we should compensate the palestinians for suffering we caused them.  But focussing on the halachic issue is good, though it's not very relevant to this section. I think the halachic issue needs a good look, and you have opened the way for that.

did you get the response  I PMed you?

Here it is posted here

"
nice video.. I hope this video goes further..

I spoke to a neturei karta type ..

he said, it's not true that if somebody comes to kill you, kill him first.  He said it's not the halacha at all.
The halacha is that if somebody comes to kill you,   run away.. then if he goes after you, you try to wound him, then if that doesn't work, you kill him.

It'd be really useful if you could you read all the relevant thing from the RAMBAM laws of murder, on this subject.

The other point about the 3 oaths not rebelling against the nations..
Where does it say that if you get permission or there is a sign, then you can go up en masse to israel ?
"

Wow, that bit about the halacha about when someone comes to kill you sounds crazy.

"
"

Have you ever found it written that this is the halacha? I have never heard of anything like this. Did your NK friend mention any scripture which backs up this idea?

Torah says:
Dueteronomy 22:26
Habah l'hargecha hashkem l'hargo
"If someone is coming to kill you, rise against him and kill him first."
http://www.chabad.org/magazine/article_cdo/aid/35971/jewish/The-Jews-Double-Standard.htm

http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/Parasha/bonchek/archives/mishpatim64.htm

Parashas Mishpatim (64)
This week's sedra comes right after the Giving of the Torah at Sinai, and contains numerous mitzvos - 53 to be exact. These are mostly mitzvos both between man and man though there are some that are between man and G-d. An array of civil laws are recorded. Following is one relating to an intruder who is killed while secretly entering someone's home.

Exodus 22:1

If while breaking in, the thief is discovered and he is struck and dies he has no blood.

RASHI

He has no blood: Rashi: This is not murder for he (the intruder) is as if dead already. From this the Torah teaches us that If one comes to kill you, you should rise early to kill him. And in this case (our verse) he (the intruder) has come with intent to kill you, for he knows that no one will stand by and see someone run off with his money and remain silent. Therefore on this understanding he entered - that if the owner will stand up against him he will have to kill him.

WHAT IS RASHI SAYING?

Rashi is telling us that the words "he has no blood" refer to the intruder and mean he is a dead man, just as a dead man has no vital fluids, so this man is as good as dead. Therefore if the householder kills him, he is innocent, for it is as if he has killed a dead man.

The point of Rashi's comment is to interpret the strange phrase "he has no blood."

RASHBAM and IBN EZRA

The Rashbam and the Ibn Ezra ( They were contemporaries and both lived during Rashi's lifetime) interpret this phrase differently. They say it means the householder who killed the intruder "has no blood guilt" that is, he is innocent. So all three commentaries agree the verse is telling us that the killing is not punishable since the man killed in self- defense.

But they disagree on the object of the pronoun "he" in "he has no blood." Rashi says it refers to the intruder. Rashbam and Ibn Ezra say it refers to the householder.

Can you justify Rashi's choice?

Why does Rashi think the word refers to the intruder?

Hint: Look at the whole verse.

Your Answer?

UNDERSTANDING RASHI

An Answer: In our verse the only person mentioned is the intruder. There is no direct mention of the householder. So Rashi assumes that the pronoun refers back to the intruder.

Perhaps the Rashbam and Ibn Ezra interpret "he has no blood " as referring to the householder because the alternative, saying that "he has no blood" refers to the thief is a strange way to refer to a guilty man.

A CLOSER LOOK

Rashi adds an additional point when he says. "From this the Torah teaches us that If one comes to kill you, you should rise early to kill him." This is the concept of self-defense.

But why do you think he used the words "rise up early"? He could just have said . "From this the Torah teaches us that If one comes to kill you, you should kill him."

What do think these words teach us?

Your Answer?

A BETTER UNDERSTANDING

A person might deliberate when approached by a suspicious and dangerous looking person "How do I know he REALLY intends to kill me?" Maybe I should wait until I'm absolutely positive of his murderous intentions. Therefore Rashi says "rise up early" - be proactive. You cannot wait until the last minute, by then it may be too late. Of course, one must always use his judgement and not be trigger-happy. But when it comes down to my life or his - my life comes first!
My Bar Mitzvah portion was Mishpatim
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:49:08 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:35 AM »
indeed.. I read about the halacha that you get up first and kill him.. I learnt it from an article by rabbi binyamin kahane.. it mentioned rashi there too as you did.

I did ask some rabbis "if somebody comes to kill you, kill him first.. is that the halacha". They said yes. Afterwards I told them what the NK guy said, and they said the NK guy was right.. only kill as a last resort.. and if you can wound him then you do it..   So there was clearly some confusion..

but there is some halacha about a rodef and wounding him.

this is somewhat of a dump of info..

The following copy/paste discusses with it. it has stuff from the VBMtorah site

http://www.seliyahu.org.il/parasha/par5767/epar67019.rtf
"
(the following is part of the link, including the text that follows!)
Extract from SHABBAT-B'SHABBATO, published by the Zomet Institute of Alon Shevut, Israel; http://www.moreshet.co.il/zomet/index-e.html

POINT OF VIEW: The Laws of "Rodef" and "Mosser"

- by Rabbi Yisrael Rozen, Director of Zomet Institute

A "rodef" is one who pursues another with intent to kill. Media reports of "a decision that a person is a rodef" are using a concept that is completely undefined. The case of a rodef is something that happens all of a sudden, at the very moment when one person is actively pursuing another. It does not include a fear of future pursuit. The Rambam writes as follows: "If one pursues his colleague to kill him, even if the pursuer is a minor, all of Yisrael have been commanded to rescue the one who is being pursued, even if it means killing the pursuer." [Hilchot Rotze'ach 1:6]. The rescue of a potential victim by killing the pursuer also applies to a sin of prohibited sex: "This applies both to one who pursues somebody to kill him and to one who pursues a married woman in order to rape her, as is written, 'Just like when a man rises up against his friend and kills him, so is this matter' [Devarim 22:26]" [Hilchot Rotze'aich, 1:10]. The fact that the Rambam uses the word "commanded" means that there is an obligation to rescue somebody at all cost, even if the pursuer must be killed, not just that one is permitted to do so (see Rashi, Sanhedrin 73a). This law is derived from the verse, "if one spills the blood of another, his own blood shall be spilled" [Bereishit 9:6] - "The Torah tells us to save the blood of the victim by spilling the blood of the other one" [Sanhedrin 72b].

So far, we have discussed rescue by a third party, a bystander. The fact that a potential victim is permitted (or possibly even required) to rescue himself by killing the pursuer can be seen from the verse from this week's Torah portion quoted at the beginning of this article. For example, if the owner of a farm in Indeea (see our note above about censorship) discovers a burglar in the middle of the night, "the Torah teaches us... you should take the initiative and kill him." There is a very high degree of innovation in this law - the permission (demand?) for self defense at the expense of the life of the rodef is valid even if the one who is pursued might be able to "raise his hands" and give up or phone the police, thereby stopping the danger of being pursued. Even so, the Torah has taught us to "take the initiative!" In addition, a thief who comes "in secret" has stolen into the site for monetary gain, he is not physically pursuing the potential victim. However, the Torah has analyzed the mindset of both participants: the one who is pursued will defend himself and the thief will pull out a knife. The dynamics of an event is a halachic parameter which sometimes permits the spilling of blood!

The One Who is Pursued "Does Not Have to Check"

There is another very innovative idea, one that is quite reasonable. As is well known, the humanitarian approach of the halacha is that "if the rodef can be stopped by harming one of his limbs, such as... cutting off a hand or breaking his leg, or blinding him, that is what should be done" [Hilchot Rotze'ach 1:7]. This rule is also derived from a verse in the Torah. According to the Mishneh Lamelech, quoting the RIVASH, this law of "rescue by harming a limb" is only relevant for "a bystander" - but the potential victim himself "does not have to check this." As far as I can see, this can be derived from the laws of "a thief who comes in secret," because in general the victim could easily get out of the dangerous situation by giving up and then turning to his insurance carrier for compensation. But the reason for this innovative law is very simple: one who is in danger acts instinctively, and he should not be expected to base his actions on "careful analysis" and choice of priorities.

The consequence of this halachic differentiation between a bystander and the potential victim is that a soldier or a policeman who sees stones thrown at a car or directly at people is required by halacha to fire at the legs of the offenders. But the one who is being attacked "does not have to check" (all of this is in the mythical country of Indeea - see note). See my article in "Techumin," volume 10, page 76, "Self Defense at the Cost of the Life of the Pursuer".

It should be clear that it is impossible to define a concept of "a public rodef - pursuer" with respect to a leader who actively supports such an agenda as giving up land for political reasons. The only ones who might possibly come under a definition of "pursuing the entire community of Yisrael" are people who are in the midst of performing traitorous acts. Perhaps one example would be to participate in a conference of Holocaust deniers in Haman's court in the capital Shushan.
"

Really though, if you read that carefully..
it has what looks like a contradiction.. and just resolves it by saying that one applies to the bystander and one to the victim(who it assumes can't wound the persuer)
So really it's saying it's the same rule..

nothing about running away there though..

the thief example certainly shows that you don't have to run away..

infact, that you are supposed to kill him.. persue him!

Here is another article.. it says some other stuff too.. but
it has some direct sounrces for the kill him first.
http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/14-10%20The%20Halacha%20of%20Rodef%20and%20the%20Rabin%20Shooting.htm
"
The Halacha of Rodef is similar to the Halacha of Ba B'machteret that is presented in Shemot 22:1. The Torah in that Pasuk teaches that one may kill a thief who is tunneling into one's house since one may assume that the thief is armed and constitutes a danger to life. The Torah permits the householder to kill the thief in self-defense. Chazal (Sanhedrin 72a) phrase this rule accordingly: "If someone comes to kill you, act first and kill him." The Gemara (Sanhedrin 73a), in turn, presents the sources in the Torah that teach that one must kill someone who is attempting to kill another person. This rule applies not only to self-defense but also to defending the lives of others. Moreover, it also applies to someone who engages in sexual assault (Sanhedrin 73a). Thus, one must kill (if no other alternative is available) someone who is attempting to murder or rape. For a discussion of the subtle distinctions between the cases of Rodef and Ba B'machteret see my recently published (by TABC) Rebbe-Talmid commentary on Sanhedrin entitled Peninei Torah.
In the absence of a Sanhedrin sitting in proximity to the Beit Hamikdash, the Halacha does not permit a Beit Din to impose capital punishment. The rules of Rodef, however, apply even in the absence of a Sanhedrin (Rambam Hilchot Rotze'ach 1:6-13 and Shulchan Aruch Choshen Mishpat 425)
"

I think these things certainly need some clarification.. But, I see nothing about running away.

the NK guy said a Rodef is when A is chasing B  and B is running away. A is a rodef.

I don't see that anywhere..

Also, this article..
http://pages.ramaz.org/USFaculty/USJS/edresources/SchiowitzMasechet%20SanhedrinPerakim%2089/Sanhedrin%20Perek%208-%2006%20-%20Daf%2072b.pdf
mentions the case Chaim brought up.. that when a foetus endangers the life of a mother, the foetus is a rodef, a persuer.. and can be removed to save the mother.
(interestingly, when the baby's head is out, then heaven has granted it life, and heaven is considered the persuer.. )
It may be that this case of rodef doesn't apply. But if it does.. then it's an example of a rodef where A is chasing B and B is not running away.. Or rather, A is endangering B's life, and B isn't running away. (fine, nowhere to run.. But it is a case of B not running away)
The thief case is better.. if that's about a rodef.. I guess it is.