Author Topic: JTFers: Be careful about peanut butter  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
JTFers: Be careful about peanut butter
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:31:52 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28695782/?GT1=43001

Apparently the food is tainted again. Please be careful. There's this one type of ice cream I like sometimes sold by Kroger called Peanut Butter Passion, that would be an example of the things people should avoid. They said it's not just jars of peanut butter but all the peanut butter products that people should avoid buying or eating for a while. Please be careful.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
Re: JTFers: Be careful about peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »
Thanks for posting this Rubystars. I never ate those peanut butter crackers myself. But I do like PBJ sandwiches.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:38:57 PM »

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »
Currently a risk of them being contaminated with salmonella.. so no real health problem with peanut butter as a food..

I would avoid it them -for the time being-, but I did read somewhere that salmonella is about as dangerous as the flu. So, not that serious for most people. More of a big danger to the elderly, though alot of things are a big danger to them.

It's common that one food or another gets contaminated.. and often pulled off the shelves.  Often it's not such a health hazard.. but still better to avoid it.

I always wonder if peanut butter was to blame for a massive zit I got on my neck years ago after some of it got stuck in my throat when I didn't bother to wash it down with water! So I stopped eating it. It is great as a high calory food.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
I just bought some almond butter from the health food store. It was expensive!  I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian.  I've read that it's an easy way to lose weight. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
Currently a risk of them being contaminated with salmonella.. so no real health problem with peanut butter as a food..

I would avoid it them -for the time being-, but I did read somewhere that salmonella is about as dangerous as the flu. So, not that serious for most people. More of a big danger to the elderly, though alot of things are a big danger to them.

It's common that one food or another gets contaminated.. and often pulled off the shelves.  Often it's not such a health hazard.. but still better to avoid it.

I always wonder if peanut butter was to blame for a massive zit I got on my neck years ago after some of it got stuck in my throat when I didn't bother to wash it down with water! So I stopped eating it. It is great as a high calory food.

Wow, thats about the worst experience with Peanut Butter I have ever heard. You chocked on it and got a zit from it... Oy vey!

I would never eat it again if that happened to me...

:)
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »
I just bought some almond butter from the health food store. It was expensive!  I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian.  I've read that it's an easy way to lose weight. 

I don't think any of these things, almond butter, peanut butter or whatever are a weight loss thing! they are all quite high in calories.

at least they are healthy calories though.

certainly vegetarians will be more health conscious and they are not going to stuff themselves on sugary cakes or pre-packaged food loaded with sugar and salt e.t.c.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:29:13 PM »
Actually they can be helpful with weight loss, as they contain good healthy fats and protein.  Always but the natural versions.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
Actually they can be helpful with weight loss, as they contain good healthy fats and protein.  Always but the natural versions.

Calories -  if not burnt, cause the consumer of them, the human bean, to put on weight. Whether they are healthy calories or unhealthy calories.

So I wouldn't look at peanut butter as a weight loss thing!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Now I'm craving peanut butter like there's no tommorow. But I don't have any. :crazy:

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
q_q_, a tbsp of natural peanut butter or almond butter is very healthy, as it stabilizes your insulin, due to it's healthy fat and protein.  i would not advocate eating the whole jar.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
yikes...I shouldn't be reading this now.  I just had something with peanut butter. 

:o :o

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »
Black people claim they invented peanut butter, that explains it all.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
Black people claim they invented peanut butter, that explains it all.

Peanut Butter
George Washington Carver (who began his peanut research in 1903)? No!
Peanuts, which are native to the New World tropics, were mashed into paste by Aztecs hundreds of years ago. Evidence of modern peanut butter comes from US patent #306727 issued to Marcellus Gilmore Edson of Montreal, Quebec in 1884, for a process of milling roasted peanuts between heated surfaces until the peanuts reached "a fluid or semi-fluid state." As the product cooled, it set into what Edson described as "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment." In 1890, George A. Bayle Jr., owner of a food business in St. Louis, manufactured peanut butter and sold it out of barrels. J.H. Kellogg, of cereal fame, secured US patent #580787 in 1897 for his "Process of Preparing Nutmeal," which produced a "pasty adhesive substance" that Kellogg called "nut-butter."

=======
George Washington Carver
"Discovered" hundreds of new and important uses for the peanut? Fathered the peanut industry? Revolutionized southern US agriculture? No!
Research by Barry Mackintosh, who served as bureau historian for the National Park Service (which manages the G.W. Carver National Monument), demonstrated the following:

Most of Carver's peanut and sweet potato creations were either unoriginal, impractical, or of uncertain effectiveness. No product born in his laboratory was widely adopted.
The boom years for Southern peanut production came prior to, and not as a result of, Carver's promotion of the crop.
Carver's work to improve regional farming practices was not of pioneering scientific importance and had little demonstrable impact.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Zevida

• Full JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 10:48:05 PM »
Well, I'm guessing my jar is safe since I've been eating from it for quite a while now.  But I'll certainly avoid any new peanut butter items for a while.  Hope they get this all sorted out.
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. (Ps 137)