Author Topic: Anyone seen the movie Defiance? About Jewish resistance in Belarussia  (Read 1195 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
I don't know if anyones seen this movie but I thought it was excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_(2008_film)

Defiance is a Golden Globe-nominated 2008 war film directed by Edward Zwick. Set in the eastern regions of German Nazi-occupied Poland (now western Belarus) during World War II, the film is an adaptation of Nechama Tec's Defiance: The Bielski Partisans, which is based on the true story of the Bielski partisans. Tec's book told how Polish Jews came together for common protection and to oppose the German occupation of their homeland.

Defiance stars Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber, Jamie Bell, and George MacKay as four Jewish brothers from Poland who escaped the Nazi persecution and fought back to rescue fellow Jews. Production began in early September 2007. The film had a limited release in the United States on December 31, 2008,[1] and went on full release in January 2009.

here is a trailer on the movie

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
Re: Anyone seen the movie Defiance? About Jewish resistance in Belarussia
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »
It was a great movie, I really recommend it!

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 02:14:31 PM »
I have it. It seems to be very good. Until now I have only seen the first minutes. I tell you if I have finished.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
It is the first realistic war movie about WW2 I saw.

Everybody should watch it.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »
maybe when i can rent it i will see it
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
Debbie Schlussel likes Defiance.  I will definitely see it, and will like it!

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2009/01/questions_for_d.html
... it's the story of the Bielski brothers, Jewish partisans who fought back against the Nazis and saved hundreds of Jews. They are true heroes, and the movie captures that.

The movie is also important because it betrays the myth that Jews willingly went to the ovens and didn't try to fight back. The Bielskis and the Warsaw Ghetto uprising are the two most famous instances of many such efforts to stop Nazi evil. I've always said, Jews with guns are my favorite combo.

:dance:
aka Someone Else

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:27 PM »
I don't know if anyones seen this movie but I thought it was excellent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_(2008_film)

Defiance is a Golden Globe-nominated 2008 war film directed by Edward Zwick. Set in the eastern regions of German Nazi-occupied Poland (now western Belarus) during World War II, the film is an adaptation of Nechama Tec's Defiance: The Bielski Partisans, which is based on the true story of the Bielski partisans. Tec's book told how Polish Jews came together for common protection and to oppose the German occupation of their homeland.

Defiance stars Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber, Jamie Bell, and George MacKay as four Jewish brothers from Poland who escaped the Nazi persecution and fought back to rescue fellow Jews. Production began in early September 2007. The film had a limited release in the United States on December 31, 2008,[1] and went on full release in January 2009.

here is a trailer on the movie

It looks like a good movie.