Author Topic: Obama - FDR's 'NEW DEAL was TOO SMALL!!!!!  (Read 2175 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Obama - FDR's 'NEW DEAL was TOO SMALL!!!!!
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
I dont know whether to laugh or cry!!!

I guess this explains his irrational policy. 

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=42697

Obama Suggested FDR’s ‘New Deal’ Was Too Small, House Republicans Say
Thursday, January 29, 2009
By Josiah Ryan, Staff Writer

President Barack Obama (AP Photo)
(CNSNews.com) - In a closed-door meeting with House Republicans on Tuesday to discuss the $819-billion economic stimulus bill, President Obama suggested that Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal failed because it was too small, Reps. Steve King (R-Iowa) and Rob Bishop (R-Utah), who attended the meeting, told CNSNews.com.

“FDR’s initial steps did actually work,” Obama said at the meeting, according to King. Obama went on to say, “Then he [FDR] pulled back towards a balanced budget, and then what you had was a recession within a depression. Then World War II came along and was the biggest stimulus plan ever.”

The White House did not respond to requests for verification of Obama’s comments, and several Republicans who were in the meeting said they either did not remember the remarks or would not discuss the details of the conversation in public.

King said he interpreted Obama’s comment as an indicator of Democrats’ mindset on stimulus spending.

“I take it this way,” King told CNSNews.com on Wednesday. “If FDR had not essentially lost his nerve and pulled back towards a balanced budget, he would have spent more money, the New Deal would have been a bigger deal, and it would have then brought us out of the Depression. That mindset tells us what’s driving this stimulus approach.”

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) (Photo courtesy of King's congressional Web site)
Bishop was also critical of Obama’s remarks.

“It was his [Obama’s] revisionist view of history which is inaccurate,” said Bishop. “I have heard that history from other people, and I think it’s inaccurate.”

In an interview with CNSNews.com on Jan. 8, House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) was asked about FDR’s spending in the Depression and the current economic stimulus proposals.

“Well, a lot of economists tell us that what President Roosevelt failed to do was to spend as much money as was needed to get people back to work and get the economy moving again,” said Waxman. “And it wasn’t until World War II, when we had major expenditures, that the Depression was finally resolved.”  Watch Video

The $819 billion stimulus package passed in the House of Representatives Wednesday evening, on a vote of 244 to 188 – no Republicans voted in favor of the package.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
Re: Obama - FDR's 'NEW DEAL was TOO SMALL!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »
Who the hell does he think he is, criticizing a bill that kept us out of a depression for almost 75 years!?
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
Who the hell does he think he is, criticizing a bill that kept us out of a depression for almost 75 years!?

hahahahahhaha, I guess people dont know about this.

He was refering to the spending portion of it... which funded unnecessary pubic works projects... which sent America into a severe second recession in 1938.. far worst than the first, while all other countries escaped the great depression by 36. . .It got so bad that we experienced near 20% unemployment right before WWII started... which many speculate... is WHY FDR wanted us to get involved with WWII... since his brain-dead spending scheme didnt work. (But thats just a theory)

However, FDR DID do some nice things that were NOT part of this horrific pork.. such as the creation of the SEC, financial transparency, and margin requirements.  But the reason we (And all other countries) have kept away from having a depression since WWII... is our economy's monetary policy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:12:42 PM by briann »

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
 ???
aka Someone Else

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »

what are you talking about

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »
DAMN IT I TOTALLY HATE THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE %$#$%$# ELITIST ARROGANT SHVARTSA TITSOON! >:( >:(
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »
“FDR’s initial steps did actually work,” Obama said at the meeting, according to King. Obama went on to say, “Then he [FDR] pulled back towards a balanced budget, and then what you had was a recession within a depression. Then World War II came along and was the biggest stimulus plan ever.”

I think this comment is very telling about Obama.  He's made up his 'own facts'... facts that have been dismissed, OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!

In reality... the new deal was as strong as ever until most of the 'relief' programs were shut down beginning in 1940 and during our involvement with World War II (by evil Republicans).

This is directly from Wikipedia:

in 1938 FDR, responding to the urgings of the converts to Keynesian economics and others in his Administration, Roosevelt embarked on an antidote to the depression, reluctantly abandoning his efforts to balance the budget and launching a $5 billion spending program in the spring of 1938, an effort to increase mass purchasing power.[41] The New Deal had engaged in deficit spending since 1933, but it was apologetic about it, because a rise in the national debt was opposite of typical Democratic party policy. Now they had a theory to justify what they were doing

When the Gallup poll in 1939 asked, 'Do you think the attitude of the Roosevelt administration toward business is delaying business recovery?' the American people responded 'yes' by a margin of more than two-to-one. The business community felt even more strongly so"[29] Treasury Secretary, Henry Morgenthau, confided to his diary May 1939: "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work".

Again.   in 1939 we were the ONLY country that was STILL in the great depression.  The fact that Obama beleives this... is a product of liberal brainwashing and good old fashion stupidity.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 10:13:44 PM by briann »

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
Well, even if he ruins the economy, the media will spin it positively.  I thought FDR was able to reach 25% unemployment at one point?

Obama wasn't happy with FDR's New Deal.  He likes bigger government, like the Soviet Union. I'm sure he learned in grade shcool how they actually ran a successful govenment.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »
DAMN IT I TOTALLY HATE THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE %$#$%$# ELITIST ARROGANT SHVARTSA TITSOON! >:( >:(

me too.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:37:43 PM »
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work".
???
it does not work
it does not work
it does not work

it prolongs the problem
it exacerbates the problem

AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HUSSEIN WANTS
aka Someone Else

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 06:34:45 AM »
Well, even if he ruins the economy, the media will spin it positively.  I thought FDR was able to reach 25% unemployment at one point?

Obama wasn't happy with FDR's New Deal.  He likes bigger government, like the Soviet Union. I'm sure he learned in grade shcool how they actually ran a successful govenment.

Yes, and we all know how well that experiment worked out.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson