Author Topic: Did anyone has ever tried or used Tarragon?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Did anyone has ever tried or used Tarragon?
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragon

I have found it in an old cookbook and I realized, that I never used it.

How does it smell?

How does it taste?

"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Did anyone has ever tried or used Tarragon?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
Taragon is a distant cousin of the anise family, I think.  It has a pungent aroma, with a slight minty, licorice like flavour.  I did not like it at first, but now I love it.  It goes particularly well in butter sauces, like a compound butter or a bearnaise sauce, and is well suited to beef or chicken.

Try making "Chicken Kiev".  If you are kosher, then use a suitable margarine.  Chop up about 1 tbsp of fresh tarragon, mix it with about 4 tbsp of the margarine and add salt and pepper.  Cut a pocket into 4 chicken breasts and put 1 tbsp of the margarine in the pocket.  Coat the breasts with flour, then egg, then bread crumbs and fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.  Finish cooking the breasts in the oven until they reach a temperature of 170 F.

If you are feeling adventurous, add sliced almonds to the bread crumbs.  Serve with mushroom wild rice and green beans (my usual choice).

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Did anyone has ever tried or used Tarragon?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
Taragon is a distant cousin of the anise family, I think.  It has a pungent aroma, with a slight minty, licorice like flavour.  I did not like it at first, but now I love it.  It goes particularly well in butter sauces, like a compound butter or a bearnaise sauce, and is well suited to beef or chicken.

Try making "Chicken Kiev".  If you are kosher, then use a suitable margarine.  Chop up about 1 tbsp of fresh tarragon, mix it with about 4 tbsp of the margarine and add salt and pepper.  Cut a pocket into 4 chicken breasts and put 1 tbsp of the margarine in the pocket.  Coat the breasts with flour, then egg, then bread crumbs and fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.  Finish cooking the breasts in the oven until they reach a temperature of 170 F.

If you are feeling adventurous, add sliced almonds to the bread crumbs.  Serve with mushroom wild rice and green beans (my usual choice).

Wow Zachor,

This is a great description of a taste:

Taragon is a distant cousin of the anise family, I think.  It has a pungent aroma, with a slight minty, licorice like flavour.

I can really imagine it.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani