Author Topic: Too many categories on this forum  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
Too many categories on this forum
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:10:56 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but there aren't enough posters to keep spreading things out. The number of posters isn't even the point. We could have 800 posters and we'd still have the same problem. I already counted 27 or so different sections. That's waaay too many. This is getting out of control. The main page of the forum does not look organized with so many disparate sections. The more simple the forum is, the better. 

The only place I post regularly in is the general section. I go to this forum to interact with like-minded people, not neatly place my idea into a little box or category.

I agree that there should be a section dedicated to affirmative action people or exclusively to Torah, because mixing the two topics in a single section would be a disaster. You can just imagine.

That being said, I hope the admins will consolidate the extraneous sections of the forum. I'm not just suggesting this for my own personal preference. I truly believe that we will have a better forum if this is done.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:15:46 AM by Jabo »

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
Re: Too many categories on this forum
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 01:18:33 AM »
JTF is a large forum. We are not Kahane.org or Revava. It would be a mess if we had only a few sections. Even Kahane.org is expanding now. And I copied some of their new section names too.

Yacov, there are sections such as 'Save Western Civilization' and many others that literally don't have any action on them. Even as the forum grows, the action won't grow proportionally there. Nor should it, for the reasons I listed above. I suggest getting rid of at least the 15 or so slow-moving sections. We'll keep the introductions page and the Kahanist Dating or whatnot. Some of this needs its own category. But the goal is to encourage posters to interact, not drop their thoughts into a box. That's not an insult to you or to anyone. Just a way to keep things running smoothly.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:20:51 AM by Jabo »

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:28:15 AM »
JTF should also be an online library where we can access information. It doesn't do any harm to have certain sections where people can do research. That is why we have sections such as The Land of Israel.

JTF is a way of life. JTF preaches real Judaism. Since we are real Jewish activists, we should have sections on all areas of life, since Judaism is a way of life and the true religion.

I agree in principle but I think you are missing my point. Why do we need a category on "saving western civilization" when we have "save America" and its various subsections and "save Israel" and its various subsections.

Isn't one of JTF's stated goals to 'save western civilization'? Why does it need this individual category?

JTF should be a library, but it should also focus on facilitating poster interaction. That's how ideas formulate. The subsections of 'Energy independence' and 'The immigration crisis' and even 'America's morality crisis' should be merged into 'Save America from George Wahabi Bush'! The former are part and parcel of the latter.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:33:25 AM by Jabo »

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:41:54 AM »
Seperate sections give people an idea of what to post about.

As for Israel, not all the sections are negative. The Good News section and The Land of Israel section are for positive news, not about saving Israel.

I'm sure other posters will chime in on this whole discussion. I really want to see what they say because I could just be flat-out wrong. Or maybe some will agree.

I recently posted news about Israel having a baby boom during the summer's lebanon war in the general section. I could just have easily posted it in the 'good news' section.  Maybe that makes me an affirmative action poster...but there are a lot of people here who do the same.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:43:37 AM by Jabo »

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:45:12 AM »
Maybe that makes me an affirmative action poster...but there are a lot of people here who do the same.

LOL. Only at JTF.

Have a good night. Can't wait until tomorrow's Ask JTF!

Offline Fruit of thy loins

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 01:57:29 AM »
There needs to be a separate section for Western civilization because a lot of events are worth talking about that don't happen in America.  Maybe the Save Western Civ. and New World Order Crisis could be merged together again because when I go to post a topic on Western civilization I often can't decide which subforum to put it in.
Every white woman deserves the black man of her dreams.  But what does every white man deserve?

Din Rodef

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 02:54:36 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but there aren't enough posters to keep spreading things out. The number of posters isn't even the point. We could have 800 posters and we'd still have the same problem.

I agree

Allen-T

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 06:13:52 AM »
Funny, yesterday I went wandering into areas of this forum I never thought to before and discovered some of FOTL's most profound pontificating!!!! ::)

Offline Until Shiloh Comes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »
Hello all,

I agree, there are far too many sub-categories on this forum. 
Psalm 53:2 "The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no G-D.'"