Author Topic: Theism, Atheism and Morals  (Read 780 times)

Offline 2honest

• Senior JTFer
  • MayIsraelPrevail
Theism, Atheism and Morals
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »

Just ran into this clip. Although this guy misleadingly equals christians and muslims his clip leads to some important questions and I'm curious to read your opinion.

1) Is God the only source of morality?

2) Can people disbelieve in God and be moral at the same time?

3) Where do you see righteousness in relation to theism, atheism and moralty?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Theism, Atheism and Morals
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:39:27 PM »

Just ran into this clip. Although this guy misleadingly equals christians and muslims his clip leads to some important questions and I'm curious to read your opinion.

1) Is G-d the only source of morality?

2) Can people disbelieve in G-d and be moral at the same time?

I believe that people can behave in a moral way regardless of what their belief is, but morals are based on Biblical values and originate from God. So basically even if someone behaves in a kind manner and doesn't promote evil things then they might be behaving morally but their morality is not based in anything except their own will to be good. This could be bad because it could lead to situational ethics if there are no absolute standards to follow.

Atheists can do righteous things but atheism itself is not righteous.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Theism, Atheism and Morals
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »

1) Is G-d the only source of morality?

2) Can people disbelieve in G-d and be moral at the same time?

These are important question.  It is better to ignore what is theoretically possible and look at the historical track record.  When the world was religious there were conflicts.  Now that the world is largely secular, there are bigger conflicts.  Islam is a special case and does not count in this analysis.  Take a look at the greatest crimes of religion and compare them to the greatest crimes of atheist movements.  There is no comparison.

50+ million died in WWII, nazism was entirely secular.
30+ million died in the Russian forced famines.  Communism was explicitly atheistic.
80+ million died in Mao's China...Cambodia...North Korea...all atheistic.

Neitzsche was entirely right when he said that without G-d all things are possible.  Unfortunately, he should have been more specific and said that without G-d, all horrible things are possible.