Author Topic: Jewish Mother  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Inquiring Mind

• Full JTFer
Jewish Mother
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:56:58 AM »
Why is someone with a jewish mother a jew but someone with a jewish father isnt? Does that make any sense?
Kosovo is Serbia

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Jewish Mother
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »
Why is someone with a jewish mother a jew but someone with a jewish father isnt? Does that make any sense?

There is always a very good reason for everything in Jewish law. Because we are dealing with the nation of Hashems chosen it is essential to know how to determine who is Jewish and who is not. Judaism is designed so that it will survive in all times.

Let me find a good site which explains matrilinear descent.

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/8/Q1/
Dear Rabbi,

I recently had a conversation with a Reform acquaintance of mine who told me that they accept patrilineal descent in determining Jewishness. I know that Judaism only accepts matrilineal descent, but what are the sources on this matter so that I can be more informed at further discussions?

Dear J.,

First of all, let's explain what Judaism uses as the source for Matrilineal descent. The Mishna in Kiddushin 66b states that if a child's mother is not Jewish, then the child is "like her," (i.e., not Jewish). This Halacha is codified in the Shulchan Aruch, Even HaEzer 8:5, without mention of any dissenting opinion. No source in the Torah teaches otherwise, and this question has never been raised in any classical Halachic text. It is an obvious and accepted axiom given to us at Sinai.

What happened in the Reform movement? For reasons know to them, they decided to "change the rules" regarding patrilineal descent. Since they did not feel bound to the Halacha, or even the literal Written Law, the Torah, they felt justified in doing this. Since Reform Judaism "plays by different rules," it makes it difficult-if not impossible-to debate patrilineal descent with them.

Clearly, we are discussing this question based on purely Halachic considerations, and therefore our discussion is not to be confused with the more political issue of "Who is a Jew?" regarding that person's status in Israel.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/180,2133686/What-is-the-Torah-source-for-matrilineal-descent.html
Question:

Dear Rabbi, If it doesn't bother you I want to ask one more question: You wrote me that if someone has a Jewish mother he is a Jew . Can you name the source of such idea? 

Anaswer:

Deuteronomy 7:3-4 states: "You shall not intermarry with them; you shall not give your daughter to his son, and you shall not take his daughter for your son. For he will turn your son away from following Me, and they will worship the gods of others".

(Immediately we see an interesting point: the verse focuses on "daughter"; giving your daughter, or taking his daughter. But more importantly...)

What does it mean "He will turn your son away"? It should either say "She (your daughter-in-law) will turn your son away" or "He (your son-in-law) will turn your daughter away"?

The Talmud1 explains that in this verse "son" actually means grandson2. Thus the meaning of the verse is as follows: in a case of intermarriage "He (the non-Jewish father) will turn your (grand)son away from following Me". The grandchild is called son (of the grandparents) because this child is still connected to the grandparents - he is still Jewish.

From the fact that the Torah does not go on to say "She will turn your son away", (i.e. the non-Jewish mother will turn your grandson away) we know that if the mother is not Jewish the grandchild is not your son - he is not Jewish.3

This teaches us that if the mother is Jewish the child is Jewish. It also teaches us that even if the child of a Jewish mother is "lead astray" G-d forbid, he is still Jewish.

Footnotes

* 1. Jerusalem Talmud tractate Yevamot 13a, and Babylonian Talmud tractate Yevamot 23a
    * 2. It is not uncommon in the Torah for a grandparent to be called parent, or a grandchild to be called child. See for example Rashi on Genesis 20:12
    * 3. See also Rashi Deuteronomy 7:4

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/601092/jewish/Why-is-Jewishness-matrilineal.htm

Question:

Why does whether you're Jewish or not depend on if your mother is Jewish? Why doesn't the father's Jewishness count?

Answer:

First the Biblical inference to matrilineal descent:

"You shall not intermarry with them; you shall not give your daughter to his son, and you shall not take his daughter for your son, for he will cause your child to turn away from Me and they will worship the gods of others" -- Deuteronomy 7:3-4.

The direct implication is that children from such a union will be torn away from Judaism. Since the verse states "for he (i.e. a non-Jewish father) will cause your child to turn away... ", this implies that a child born to a Jewish mother is Jewish "your child," whereas, if a Jewish man marries a non-Jewish woman, the child is not Jewish—and as such there is no concern that "she," the child's mother, will turn the child away from Judaism.1

Although one's Jewishness is dependent on the mother, other genealogical factors important in Judaism, such as one's tribal affiliation, are contingent on the father. Thus whether one is a Kohen, Levite, or Israelite depends on the father's lineage. The reason for this is as follows:

There are two basic components to a human being: (a) his essence, and (b) that which he projects forth, such as his talents and abilities. In Kabbalistic terminology, this second component is referred to as "revelations" of himself, as opposed to his essential self.

The creation of a child requires both a man and woman, yet for entirely different functions. The mother provides the essence, while the father adds the potential for what the child will eventually project, the revelations of his self.

This is due to the different natures of the male and female souls. The male soul emanates from G‑d's emotive qualities, such as kindness, discipline, and harmony—qualities that do not define G‑d Himself, rather they are the means through which He relates to creation. The female soul, on the other hand, originates in G‑d's attribute of malchut, royalty. According to the teachings of kabbalah, malchut is rooted in G‑d's essence that transcends all Divine "revelations."

The essence of a Jew is his Jewish soul, his Jewish identity. This is inherited from the mother. His tribe, a revelation or projection, the way his Judaism is practiced and actualized, is begotten from the father.

For more on this topic, see our knowledgebase's articles on Essence & Expression; Etzem & Giluyim.

I hope that these links provide you with a satisfactory answer.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »

Reformed Jews consider those people as Jewish who has Jewish father, if I know well...
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
Yasher Koach Muman

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »

When the baby comes from a Jewish Mother and the father is not, the baby is still Jewish by law.
If the father is Jewish, and the Mother is not then the baby is not Jewish.
All babies are raised in the Mothers religion.
Jewish women raise their babies Jewish.
Catholic women raise their babies Catholic.
Moslem women raise their babies Moslem.
Buddist women raise their babies buddist.

I hope I explained this right and it helps you to understand.

Moshe92

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »

When the baby comes from a Jewish Mother and the father is not, the baby is still Jewish by law.

I thought that people are considered Muslim if their father is Muslim. That is why Barack Obama is Muslim according to Muslim law.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »

I thought that people are considered Muslim if their father is Muslim. That is why Barack Obama is Muslim according to Muslim law.

Moshe92,

You are correct. Islam is passed to the child through the father. This is the belief of Islam. I have done some research on the topic and Islam is established through Patrilineal Descent while Judaism is through Matrilineal Descent.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »

Odrama's mother was an athiest. That is why he was raised as a Moslem, his Mother didn't give a crap about anything.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:37:13 AM »

Odrama's mother was an athiest. That is why he was raised as a Moslem, his Mother didn't give a crap about anything.

It doesnt matter what Obamas mother had to say about it. According to Islamic law the child of a Moslem man will always be considered a Muslim. This is called Patrilineal descent... Google this term to learn how it works.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
Non-Jews are not born into a religion. A person born to Muslim parent's does not make the child a muslim, nor does one born to Christian parents make the child a Christian. They are all Bnai Noah who then might (many times because of the heavy influence of the parents) then follow any of the different religions and cults. But technically all of humanity are Bnai Noah and are subject to the laws of Bnai Noah (at least according to the Torah that G-d gave on Mt. Sinai, and to the commandments G-d gave to Adam and then to Noah).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »
Non-Jews are not born into a religion. A person born to Muslim parent's does not make the child a muslim, nor does one born to Christian parents make the child a Christian. They are all Bnai Noah who then might (many times because of the heavy influence of the parents) then follow any of the different religions and cults. But technically all of humanity are Bnai Noah and are subject to the laws of Bnai Noah (at least according to the Torah that G-d gave on Mt. Sinai, and to the commandments G-d gave to Adam and then to Noah).

Good luck getting all the goyim to behave like B'nai Noah

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 10:53:48 PM »

"Good LUCK" getting ANY nation to start BEHAVING like good children at this point.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 11:15:59 PM »

Anything and everything can be done. Dont loose hope in humanity.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »

Anything and everything can be done. Dont loose hope in humanity.

I already have.... The bastard left wingers are the majority.