Author Topic: German Soldier during WW2 recognized at Yad vashem was killed by Bolshi's  (Read 443 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
http://jta.org/news/article/2009/02/16/1003025/german-officer-recognized-by-yad-vashem 

German officer recognized by Yad Vashem

February 16, 2009

JERUSALEM (JTA) -- Yad Vashem cited the German officer made famous in the Academy Award-winning movie "The Pianist."

Wilm Hosenfeld was recognized as a Righteous Among the Nations, Israel's Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority announced Monday, for helping Jews during the Holocaust.

Polish-Jewish musician Wladyslaw Szpilman, whose diaries are the basis for Roman Polanski's 2002 film, wrote to Yad Vashem that Hosenfeld in November 1944  helped him find a hiding place, and provided blankets, food and moral support. Another survivor, Leon Wurm, testified that Hosenfeld employed him at the Sports Center after his escape from the train to Treblinka.

Hosenfield spent most of the war as a sports and culture officer based in Warsaw. During the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, he was involved in interrogating prisoners. Hosenfeld was arrested and sentenced to life imprisonment by the Soviets. He died in a Soviet prison in 1952.

Hosenfeld's sons and two daughters, who live in Germany, will receive a medal and certificate on their late father's behalf. An official ceremony will be scheduled
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: German Soldier during WW2 recognized at Yad vashem was killed by Bolshi's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »
It is good that he finally got recognition for the good deeds he did.  I remember reading that Szpilman tried to get him out of a prison camp after the war, but to no avail.  Maybe now, his family will feel some sort of comfort.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »
This case is nothing.

What they did to Raul Wallenberg is hundred times worse.

I couldn't believe as Chaim talked about him. So I looked it up.

But I didn't know their real reasons for this kind of actions. A man like Wallenberg should be honoured and not murdered in prison.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »
The Bolsheviks are like the Nazis they enjoy killing decent people,why because decent humans are a danger to Bolshevism
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
This case is nothing.

What they did to Raul Wallenberg is hundred times worse.

I couldn't believe as Chaim talked about him. So I looked it up.

But I didn't know their real reasons for this kind of actions. A man like Wallenberg should be honoured and not murdered in prison.

I wouldn't say so. Maybe the scale of his actions was not so great as Wallenberg's, but still he saved lives and we should know it and be grateful.
As Jewish tradition says, "the one who saved one life, as if saved the whole world".

And yes, such people must be honored. There is a small Wallenberg Street in the center of Jerusalem, but it is nothing compared to his actions.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)