Author Topic: Romney picked as 2012 GOP front-runner  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Romney picked as 2012 GOP front-runner
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Conservative activists on Saturday named former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney the winner of a poll for best 2012 GOP presidential candidate.
The poll marked the third consecutive year Romney came out on top.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal placed second in the annual poll, conducted at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

Romney received 20 percent of the vote and Jindal got 14 percent.

Close behind were Texas Rep. Ron Paul and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who each received 13 percent of the vote.

The results were culled over two days from 1,757 of the party activists who came to Washington for the annual conference and filled out ballots on Thursday and Friday. Nearly 60 percent of the straw poll participants were between the ages of 18 and 25. More than half of the conference attendees this year were college students.

The choices in the poll were: Florida Gov. Charlie Crist; former House speaker Newt Gingrich; former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani; former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee; Jindal; Paul; Palin; Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty; Romney; South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, and "Undecided." There was also space on the ballot for a write-in candidate.

The results could go a long way in shoring up a presidential hopeful's conservative resume, as was the case with Romney when he won the straw poll in 2007 for 2008.

The eventual Republican nominee, Sen. John McCain, finished fifth in the 2007 vote, and lost to Romney in 2008 as conservatives at the conference expressed frustration that the Senate maverick was close to cinching up the nomination.

In criticizing Obama and House Democrats in a speech Friday, Romney -- often interrupted by standing ovations -- made clear that he intends to remain a player in Republican politics as he eyes a potential presidential bid in 2012.

CPAC attendees also were able to vote on their approval of President Obama and Republicans in Congress.

Only 4 percent said they approve of the job Obama is doing.

CPAC ended Saturday with radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh delivering the keynote address.

Limbaugh called on conservatives to take the country back.

"I want to tell you who conservatives are. We conservatives have not done a good enough job of just laying out basically who we are because we make the mistake of assuming that people know," he said.

"We love people. When we look out over the United States of America, when we're anywhere, when we see a group of people such as this or anywhere, we see Americans."

In order to take the country back, Limbaugh said, "All we need is to nominate the right candidate. It's no more complicated than that."

Limbaugh praised Obama as one of the most gifted politicans he has seen, but said, "It just breaks my heart that he does not use these extraordinary talents and gifts to motivate and inspire the American people to be the best they can be. He's doing just the opposite."

Limbaugh accused Obama of wanting people to be in fear instead of motivating the country.

In the absence of a clear GOP leader, a political ad airing Friday put out by supporters of Obama implies the conservative radio host has himself become the de facto head of the Republican Party.

The ad argues that the Republican leadership in Congress is following Limbaugh's lead in opposing the Obama administration's $787 billion stimulus package.

"So who are Republican leaders listening to?," the announcer asks before the 30-second ad cuts abruptly to footage of Limbaugh saying, "I want him [Obama] to fail."

It was paid for by Americans United for Change and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union, two groups that supported Obama during the election and are advocating for his agenda.

In response to the ad, the Republican National Committee said, "The Democrats are running a permanent campaign rather than doing the bipartisan work of governing." Read about the new ad

"These ads are part of the Democrats' larger strategy to do something, anything, to try to take the focus off their massive spending binge," RNC spokesman Alex Conant said.  Watch: Who will lead the GOP? »

Meanwhile, throughout the conference, other Republican leaders and rising stars took turns at the podium.

Pawlenty told the conference audience Saturday that Republicans must do a better job of reaching out to working-class voters, a group he said agrees with the GOP on most issues, from gun rights to health care to education.

The problem, Pawlenty said, is that lower and middle income voters -- a group he terms "Sam's Club voters" -- don't believe Republicans "are for the working person."

He said the party must stress its commitment to job creation and market itself "with a feel and concern and tone and an understanding of the importance and the challenges of the working class of this country.

"And it doesn't mean we have to sacrifice our principles to do it," Pawlenty said.

Like most of the Republicans who have addressed the annual gathering of conservatives this week, Pawlenty characterized the White House economy recovery package as a "sprawling spending buffet."

The governor bemoaned the president's budget plan, unveiled earlier this week, which predicted a $1.75 trillion deficit for the upcoming fiscal year.

"A day or two later the Democrats convened a fiscal responsibility summit," he said. "What's next? Are they going to have Rod Blagojevich convene an ethics summit?"

Pawlenty and his wife Mary also spoke Friday night to a closed-door reception for "Rebuild the Party," a Web-based grassroots initiative to modernize the party.

On Friday, Romney and Gingrich packed the ballroom.

Texas Rep. Ron Paul also drew a big crowd and lots of applause. Paul said the conservative movement has struggled to define what it means to be a conservative.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/28/cpac/index.html

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
Re: Romney picked as 2012 GOP front-runner
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
I just watched this before Rush Limbaugh's national adress, and I was baffled that Sarah Palin wasn't even in 2nd place.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
The republicans are afraid they will win if Palin is a front runner.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »
I don't think Palin took part in Conservative Political Action Conference. This may be the reason she came in so low in the voting results.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »
Why in the hell is such a big deal made of Rush Limbaugh?  What has he done to advance a real conservative movement?

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
I thought Rush gave a good speech.
I think at this point we should take any decent rally cry we can.
If people don't get motivated to save America, we are done.
He might have opened a few eyes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/28/rush-limbaugh-at-cpac-dou_n_170792.html

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:42:50 PM »
Rush Limbaugh dosen't give a damn about advancing a conservative cause.  He cares about himself and his bank account.  This jerk licked George Bush's boots for eight years.  The first tsep in saving this country is weeding out frauds like this who claim to be on "our side".

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
He's so wishy washy.  I guess thats what the public wants. Not someone with integrity

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
Rush Limbaugh dosen't give a damn about advancing a conservative cause.  He cares about himself and his bank account.  This jerk licked George Bush's boots for eight years.  The first tsep in saving this country is weeding out frauds like this who claim to be on "our side".
OK!

I happen to think he gave a good speech tonight.
Sorry if it goes against the consensus to say so.
I don't care if he does care about his bank account.  I care about mine too.
He spoke up for AMERICA and AMERICANS. 
I'd take George Bush and his boots for another 4 years, if it meant no OBAMA.
Our demise might be slower...giving us time to save ourselves.
Obama is taking us down in one fell swoop.
That is just my opinion.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »
Some people need to warm up to someone like Rush before they're able to warm up to the real right. Whatever he can do to help us then that's good.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
OK!

I happen to think he gave a good speech tonight.
Sorry if it goes against the consensus to say so.
I don't care if he does care about his bank account.  I care about mine too.
He spoke up for AMERICA and AMERICANS. 
I'd take George Bush and his boots for another 4 years, if it meant no OBAMA.
Our demise might be slower...giving us time to save ourselves.
Obama is taking us down in one fell swoop.
That is just my opinion.

Don't say sorry.

Who the hell cares Romney was said to be the front runner in 2012.
Palin is not going to get the Nod

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »
Great like we really need Willard.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »

Romney might pick Palin as his VP running mate if he wins the GOP nod but I doubt Palin will will the nod

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
Rush Limbaugh dosen't give a damn about advancing a conservative cause.  He cares about himself and his bank account.
Spot on. Couldn't have said it better. These so called pundits are out for themselves, they don't give a damn about the country.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »

Romney might pick Palin as his VP running mate if he wins the GOP nod but I doubt Palin will will the nod

I think Romney has a chip on his shoulder about Palin because he was supposedly the front runner to be the VP pick last time and then Palin got it instead. Bobby Jindal might have a chance though.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:25:51 PM »
Rush Limbaugh dosen't give a damn about advancing a conservative cause.  He cares about himself and his bank account.
Spot on. Couldn't have said it better. These so called pundits are out for themselves, they don't give a damn about the country.
What is wrong with caring about your bank account?  This is America.  Who is to say that you can't do both? 
You might not like or agree with Rush.  I often don't on both counts.  I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't give a damn about the country.   

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »

I think Romney has a chip on his shoulder about Palin because he was supposedly the front runner to be the VP pick last time and then Palin got it instead. Bobby Jindal might have a chance though.

Romney could have got the funds for Mccain's campain which could of helped.
I agree with you that it is either Romney or Jindal who will get the nod

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »
What is wrong with caring about your bank account?  This is America.  Who is to say that you can't do both? 
You might not like or agree with Rush.  I often don't on both counts.  I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't give a damn about the country.   

I think what bothers a lot of people about Rush is that he amassed such a large audience then he doesn't use it to build any kind of movement. He just uses it as a talk show.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »

I think what bothers a lot of people about Rush is that he amassed such a large audience then he doesn't use it to build any kind of movement. He just uses it as a talk show.
You are probably right Ruby.
I never got the impression that he wanted to be a political leader.  He is what he is...a radio personality.  If he can use his bully pulpit for some good, I'll take it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »
I do think Rush has been a good influence in some ways, but I don't really trust him on some issues. I used to listen to him a lot during the Clinton years.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
I do think Rush has been a good influence in some ways, but I don't really trust him on some issues. I used to listen to him a lot during the Clinton years.
I agree.  I don't listen to him on a regular basis.  I did many years ago.  I just think he was 'spot on' in the speech he gave.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:11:37 AM by bullcat3 »

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
I listened to Rush right from his first show and did so for years because he was the only game in town and back then he was quite entertaining. Now that we have so many other hosts that are right wingers I bounce around to some extent and might only catch Rush for a half hour or so now and then. I like Rush as a talk show host. I don't expect him to do anything more than be entertaining and do it while talking about issues of the day. In Rush's 20 or so years I never heard him say he was doing anything more then being a talk show host.  I am sure if anyone called his show and asked him if he was doing the show for the money he would be the first to admit it. Rush gave a good speech tonight and he inspired a great many folks to get the ball rolling for 2012.   
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Sentinel For Truth

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »
Good choice, I hope Romney gets the nod for 2012.  

Sarah Palin is a joke and has been exposed for being a know-nothing bubble-headed moose hunting soccer mom and I've always found JTF's, and particularly Chiam's, unwavering support of her both during the campaign, but particularly for 2012, laughable.  She was clearly a bad choice from the beginning and later turned into an embarrassment for the whole Repugnican party and in the end unfortunately helped Obama sweep his way to victory. 

Our next president needs to be a strict Constitutionalist who can kick out the illegals, militarize the borders and shrink the size of the federal government so we can cut taxes and get back to business in this country.  We need to become productive in every way now and in the future so we can dig ourselves out of this massive private and public debt that's developed particularly during the Bush years.

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
aka Someone Else

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »
That's being quite naive. You honestly think these pundits care about America? They are selling you something. Whether its Maher, O'Reilly, Limbaugh they are all in it for the business. This is obvious. Rush Limbaugh himself has attacked people for trying to get us off Arab oil, the guy is a complete tool. I believe Chaim has made a video on this. Look it up.