Author Topic: All evil is sin. Is all sin evil?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
All evil is sin. Is all sin evil?
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »
The question really becomes one of assigning a graded principle to behaviour.  To me, the murder of an innocent person is much worse than eating non-kosher food.  For Jews, eating non-kosher food is unholy and a sin.  Is it evil though?  I know Jews who are not observant, I would say that they do not act holy (the word in Hebrew is Kiddushah), but they are not evil.

How will G-d judge those Jews who did not sanctify His name?  Will their fate be the same as those who are truly evil?  I ask this honestly.  I don't know the answer.  I know of the concept of measure for measure.  What does that mean for Jews who were secular?

Offline VforVendetta

• Full JTFer
  • Remember Remember, The 5th of November
Re: All evil is sin. Is all sin evil?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:23:09 AM »
No, not all sins are evil, but it depends on how you define "evil".
In our Torah, sinful people are called Reshaim (Evil),
but in the terms of our days, evil is something against humanity, something that is opposed to "good".
So if you are talking about evil of our days, not all the sins are evil, not at all, for example eating not kosher food (did it hurt anyone around you?)
or desecrating Shabat.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »
No, not all sins are evil, but it depends on how you define "evil".
In our Torah, sinful people are called Reshaim (Evil),
but in the terms of our days, evil is something against humanity, something that is opposed to "good".
So if you are talking about evil of our days, not all the sins are evil, not at all, for example eating not kosher food (did it hurt anyone around you?)
or desecrating Shabat.

first off its not only about hurting others, when we do something agains't G-d we are hurting ourselves. In a way you are also hurting other's because we dont always see the negative consequences of the bad actions (sins) we make. BUT hurting other's is harder to correct sometimes becuase you would need to have them forgive you sincerly. On the other hand making sins agains't G-d is also very serious expecially with things like Shabb-t (one is cutting their soul off), or having relations with a lady who didn't go to the Mikva, etc. But for example rectifying Shabb-t would require you to stop breaking Shabb-t, confess to yourself that what you did in the past was wrong and you wont do it again, and have in mind that from now on you will keep Shabb-t. With that situation even if on a Sunday someone does this in his/er heart and mind and then before even keeping 1 Shabb-t the person dies, he dies without having this sin and being recitified (thus saving his soul).
   With Kosher the punishment is not as severe as Shabb-t (its deserving a whipping 39 times), BUT the consequences and the effect if the sin is very severe. (the food you eat affects your soul, and the way you think and actions you make, etc. For example it would be harder for one who eats non-Kosher to listin to a Torah lecture, etc.) 
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
sometimes a righteous deed can be a sin if performed at the wrong time...

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
The question really becomes one of assigning a graded principle to behaviour.  To me, the murder of an innocent person is much worse than eating non-kosher food.  For Jews, eating non-kosher food is unholy and a sin.  Is it evil though?  I know Jews who are not observant, I would say that they do not act holy (the word in Hebrew is Kiddushah), but they are not evil.

How will G-d judge those Jews who did not sanctify His name?  Will their fate be the same as those who are truly evil?  I ask this honestly.  I don't know the answer.  I know of the concept of measure for measure.  What does that mean for Jews who were secular?

Hi Zachor, I think G-d will judge accordingly. G-d is perfect and he knows exactly what he is doing. Life itself can be the judgment for things we may have done in a past life. The life we live now, be it good or evil may very well determine what the next life holds, on and on.
G-d will not bring us home until we have perfected our souls through the lessons of life. I mean we are here for a reason.

Shalom - Dox

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »

Yes , you are refering to Nadav and Avihu, Aahrons sons who brought an offering at the wrong time and the L-rd smote them where they stood. There are other reasons they were smote {some commentators say because they were intoxicated at the time}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »

That is why we must learn Halacha (Jewish law) daily and be proficient in it. We must know how to judge a situation with the best of our abilities and do the correct action that is necessary.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »

It's best not to compare forms of sin. We will never understand Hashem's ways. We have to accept the fact that He is doing what's right for us.