Author Topic: Netanyahu says he seeks full peace with Arab world  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Netanyahu says he seeks full peace with Arab world
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
JERUSALEM – Israel's incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will seek "full peace" with the entire Arab and Muslim world.

Netanyahu made the comments in a speech to parliament Tuesday before he was to be sworn into office.

He told lawmakers that radical Islam and the Iranian regime in Tehran are major threats to regional security. But he praised Islam as a rich religion and said he seeks a broad peace with the Muslim world.

Netanyahu led his Likud Party to a strong showing in recent elections with a campaign that was highly critical of past peace talks. His speech Tuesday appeared to be aimed at easing international concerns that he will end peace efforts.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

JERUSALEM (AP) — The new government taking power in Israel Tuesday supports expanded Jewish settlement in the West Bank and does not explicitly endorse an independent Palestinian state, a course that could put the country at odds with the Obama administration.

Western officials are also concerned about incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's choice for foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, whose proposal to put citizens to loyalty tests is widely seen as a racist attack on Israel's Arab minority.

Israel's Knesset, or parliament, was swearing in Netanyahu and his 28 ministers at a special session Tuesday evening. The new Cabinet is an unwieldy and heterogeneous group hailing from ultra-Orthodox parties, a hard-line religious party, a hawkish secular faction, and the centrist Labor Party, along with Netanyahu's Likud.

To placate his new partners and his allies, Netanyahu created new ministerial positions — so many that parliament carpenters had to work overnight to enlarge the Cabinet's table.

Facing the prospect of a clash with the Obama administration, Netanyahu has been busy remodeling his own image in recent weeks.

The establishment of a Palestinian state is a key U.S. goal.

After an election campaign in which he roundly criticized the outgoing government's peace talks with the Palestinians, he has softened his position, bringing Labor into what otherwise would have been a hard-line coalition and saying he would pursue peace with the country's Arab neighbors. However, he has been vague about his vision for peace.

During the campaign, he said he would focus peace efforts on developing the Palestinian economy, while leaving key issues such as final borders and the dispute over control of Jerusalem for the future. Last week, however, he said he would be a "partner in peace" with the Palestinians and discuss core issues.

Israelis and Palestinians greeted the new government with a mixture of hope and trepidation. Some were uncertain exactly what to make of it.

"I don't know if it's good. It's hopeful. I don't know if it's right wing, I don't know if its left-wing. It's something different," said Monica Haber of Nokdim, a West Bank settlement.

Nokdim's most famous resident is Lieberman, whose appointment as foreign minister would have been unthinkable several months ago.

One of the country's most polarizing politicians, Lieberman centered his successful election campaign on a proposal, widely seen as anti-Arab, to strip the citizenship of people who do not swear loyalty to the Jewish state. Lieberman was able to leverage his Yisrael Beitenu Party's strong election performance into control of the foreign ministry and other senior portfolios in the coalition government.

Not everyone in Nokdim seemed thrilled with the new government. Moshe Hacohen said international pressure has traditionally limited conservative governments' ability to maneuver.

"It's best not to make a big deal about anything, and just to do what you have to do," he said.

Yariv Oppenheimer, who heads the Israeli group Peace Now, said he was certain peace activists would be busy during Netanyahu's term.

"The new Israeli government is one of the most right-wing governments that we have had here in Israel. ... Unfortunately, we think that as a peace movement we are going to have a lot of work in the upcoming years to protest against this government," he said.

He did grant that "sometimes in Israel the right-wing government is doing the opposite and making peace and compromise."

It was a Likud prime minister, Menachem Begin, who signed Israel's historic peace accord with Egypt, and another Likud prime minister, Ariel Sharon, who pulled Israeli settlers and troops out of Gaza unilaterally in 2005. After criticizing peace talks during the campaign, Netanyahu has now embraced them, though without saying he supports the creation of a Palestinian state.

Hamas, the Islamic group that took control of Gaza in 2007 and which remains officially dedicated to Israel's destruction, has said it sees no difference between Israeli governments. But Fawzi Barhoum, a Hamas spokesman, said Tuesday that the new government will "increase the risk for the Palestinian people and the region."

"This racist and extreme government will lead the region from bad to worse," he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_politics;_ylt=Al8XDOL3zP.j_nN53WlIJINvaA8F

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
Re: Netanyahu says he seeks full peace with Arab world
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
FULL PEACE?

>:(

I imagine this means land for peace, right?

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
FULL PEACE?

Yeah, that's always worked so well in the past.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »
FULL PEACE?

Yeah, that's always worked so well in the past.

IF PEOPLE WOULD START READING THE TORAH OVER THERE IT WOULD REALLY HELP....

:'(
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
Very predictable.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »

Unless he plans on total war which of course will be followed by complete victory over the arab world there will never be "full peace" with them.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:08:58 PM »
Maybe he could learn from the all knowing foreign policy genius obama, according to obama all the world's conflicts can be solved with "dialogue". I am sure the Hamas leaders would be open to a sincere discussion regarding a peaceful resolution to the current misunderstanding. I mean, they are rational people, right?

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
Say what?

Western officials are also concerned about incoming Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's choice for foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, whose proposal to put citizens to loyalty tests is widely seen as a racist attack on Israel's Arab minority.

Loyalty is a CHOICE, not a race. I think he has a good idea, I wish the US would impliment a loyalty test. If a person is not loyal to the country they are in, they don't need to be there.

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »
So predictable, easy to expect that from a looser, opportunist, liar and fake-righteous politician such as Netanyahu.

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
So tell me, what's half-peace?
aka Someone Else

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »
shmuck
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »
 :jump: [censored] him
I also heard this in the radio... >:(
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
Is Netanyahu a self serving self righteous fraud? All I know is what I can get from news sites and who knows if it is truth or not. If so, is he as two faced and pious as obama?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »
Why act so surprised? He's a mainstream politician, ALL mainstream politicians are going to be politically correct and deceive the people because they have another agenda in mind. It's unlikely any of these "PC" politicians will completely give up all the land as they use it to buy time, but none of them can be trusted either at this point in time.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
I hope it does not mean land for peace, or Netanyahu puts Israelies in more danger.  My god doesn't he know God's words in Genesis 13:14 Lift up your eyes from where you are and look north and south, east and west.  All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever.   The land given to Abraham and his descendants and 12 tribes of Israel, should not be divided.   

Appeasement will not bring peace with the Arab world.  They will claim more and more sacrifices from Israel!

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
I hope it does not mean land for peace, or Netanyahu puts Israelies in more danger.  My G-d doesn't he know G-d's words in Genesis 13:14 Lift up your eyes from where you are and look north and south, east and west.  All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever.   The land given to Abraham and his descendants and 12 tribes of Israel, should not be divided.   

Appeasement will not bring peace with the Arab world.  They will claim more and more sacrifices from Israel!

We all know what their real agenda is, to take Israel off the face of the earth, to run the Jews out of Israel so that they can have it...

Having ALL the land surrounding Israel is not good enough, they want Israel also,.....

>:( >:( >:( >:(
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
          :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier: :soldier:             

Hanna--

I agree with you, they do have all the land around Israel and they want to run the Jews out taking over Israel as well........

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »
Which party is the greatest in Israel?
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Sentinel For Truth

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 03:40:15 AM »

The Kach party was and is still the greatest.  You can't ban the best.  Kahane chai!!

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 03:54:20 AM »

The Kach party was and is still the greatest.  You can't ban the best.  Kahane chai!!

That's right, but they aren't they banned?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 04:08:02 AM »
I like Netanyahu. Seeking full peace with the Arabs not necessarily means "Land for peace". Israel has not territorial conflicts withe most Arab countries. There are recognised borders with Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon... Perhaps it's not a bad think to achieve diplomatic relations with other countries of the region. He praised Islam? What else could he do? We can tell the truth in a forum, but a PM has not other alternative than political correctness. Arab countries will remain Muslim and Netanyahu cannot change that fact alone. It's not his task to liberate the Middle East, but to keep Israel safe. I suppose that Netanyahu would never talk about giving away Jerusalem or any part of EY. Anyway, if he tried to do so, Liberman would turn him down. But after Sharon betrayed Israel I can't be sure of anything.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 06:38:04 AM »
... He praised Islam? What else could he do? We can tell the truth in a forum, but a PM has not other alternative than political correctness....

He can say nothing.  He doesn't have to openly condemn islam but he doesn't need to praise it either.  Saying something that you don't actually believe for the sake of being politically correct makes you look like a phony fraud.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:36 AM »
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:23 AM »
I like Netanyahu. Seeking full peace with the Arabs not necessarily means "Land for peace". Israel has not territorial conflicts withe most Arab countries. There are recognised borders with Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon... Perhaps it's not a bad think to achieve diplomatic relations with other countries of the region. He praised Islam? What else could he do? We can tell the truth in a forum, but a PM has not other alternative than political correctness. Arab countries will remain Muslim and Netanyahu cannot change that fact alone. It's not his task to liberate the Middle East, but to keep Israel safe. I suppose that Netanyahu would never talk about giving away Jerusalem or any part of EY. Anyway, if he tried to do so, Liberman would turn him down. But after Sharon betrayed Israel I can't be sure of anything.

And do you really think that Netanyahu will protect Israel?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 07:25:07 AM »
HiWarp, is it true that he should have shut his mouth. But note that he needed to mention Islam to condemn fundamentalists. He just added that he wants peace with Muslims, he could have said peace with Arabs, but he said Muslims. It's an interesting approach. He implicitely pointed out that this is a religious war. It seems as if he wanted to point out that Muslims have to abandon their hatred, and that no concessions on land will bring peace.

ProudZionist, only Hashem can protect Israel. I only hope Netanyahu doesn't repeat Sharon and Olmert's mistakes.