Author Topic: 9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas  (Read 853 times)

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090402/ap_on_re_us/frequent_er_patients

Wed Apr 1, 9:19 pm ET

AUSTIN, Texas – Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. The patients went to hospital emergency rooms 2,678 times from 2003 through 2008, said the report from the nonprofit Integrated Care Collaboration, a group of health care providers who care for low-income and uninsured patients.

"What we're really trying to do is find out who's using our emergency rooms ... and find solutions," said Ann Kitchen, executive director of the group, which presented the report last week to the Travis County Healthcare District board.

The average emergency room visit costs $1,000. Hospitals and taxpayers paid the bill through government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, Kitchen said.

Eight of the nine patients have drug abuse problems, seven were diagnosed with mental health issues and three were homeless. Five are women whose average age is 40, and four are men whose average age is 50, the report said, the Austin American-Statesman reported Wednesday.

"It's a pretty significant issue," said Dr. Christopher Ziebell, chief of the emergency department at University Medical Center at Brackenridge, which has the busiest ERs in the area.

Solutions include referring some frequent users to mental health programs or primary care doctors for future care, Ziebell said.

"They have a variety of complaints," he said. With mental illness, "a lot of anxiety manifests as chest pain."

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: 9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »
This is a really big problem, not just in Texas, but throughout the U.S.A..

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
They were probably illegal invaders but the article doesn't say.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
They were probably illegal invaders but the article doesn't say.

Rubystars,

You have a very good point.  Here, on the West Coast, where I live, the problem is exasperated by the illegals using/abusing the health care system.  Also, there is a new law that was put into affect here a little more than 2 years ago that stated, "the ER's could not turn away anyone and they had to provide health care and stabilize the patient whether illegal or not, whether they have insurance or not, and whether they have a means to pay".

I found this out after having to take a family member to the ER, as well as, myself having to be admitted at another date; and the wait was astounding due to the lines of people waiting to be seen.  While I was waiting, I noticed they had put up the large signs stating the new statutes in regards to policy.

So, now that this has become public info. it has gotten really out of control.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
I don't think their health is the responsibility of U.S. citizens.

I think if someone is having a major emergency like a heart attack or they just got shot, or got an arm hacked off, or something else that clearly requires an emergency room visit, they should be treated and then forced to pay. If illegal they should be deported as soon as possible.

If someone has a hangover then that's not a medical emergency and they should be able to refuse treatment. To cover the hospitals from being sued, illegal aliens should have no access to the civil court system.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »

I think if someone is having a major emergency like a heart attack or they just got shot, or got an arm hacked off, or something else that clearly requires an emergency room visit, they should be treated and then forced to pay. If illegal they should be deported as soon as possible.

If someone has a hangover then that's not a medical emergency and they should be able to refuse treatment. To cover the hospitals from being sued, illegal aliens should have no access to the civil court system.

Rubystars,

You and I think alike; but the problem is all the bleeding heart liberals and their supposedly "just causes".

What they seem to neglect by their support of these ideals; they are making yours and mine insurance premiums skyrocket through the roof, doctors' liability insurance premiums sky high, therefore, causing the entire system to be more costly for all legal and employed citizens.

It has become a never ending sore that does not stop to bleed and we end up paying for it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
I think the least they could do after stealing so many American jobs is to pay their own medical bills.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »

Rubystars,

You and I think alike; but the problem is all the bleeding heart liberals and their supposedly "just causes".

What they seem to neglect by their support of these ideals; they are making yours and mine insurance premiums skyrocket through the roof, doctors' liability insurance premiums sky high, therefore, causing the entire system to be more costly for all legal and employed citizens.

It has become a never ending sore that does not stop to bleed and we end up paying for it.

I hate those bleeding heart liberals with there smug attitudes trying to shame those that want to put a stop to this insanity.  This in turn puts pressure on our health care system.  Think what it must be for a health professional who is overburden in work.  
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
I think the least they could do after stealing so many American jobs is to pay their own medical bills.

I wish......But, unfortunately as you know Obama has promised to feed, clothe, home, medicate, reward, insure, and waive his magical wand to improve the lives of his brethren in the U.S.A.; oh, and let us not forget, we need to include the World, because he is the MESSIAH and he has promised to be the supreme ruler and put a bandaid on kiss everything, and all be well.

......Now, I might have to vomit, just from the thought of how in awe of him I am.....
INSERT SARCASM.....anywhere you want in the above description......