Author Topic: Unemployment jumps to 8.5 % in March. Highest in over 25 years.  (Read 812 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/03/jobless-rate-jumps-percent-k-jobs-lost/

Again... this is not TRUE unemployment... but its still a good indicator.

The nation's unemployment rate jumped to 8.5 percent in March, the highest since late 1983, as a wide swath of employers eliminated 663,000 jobs. It's fresh evidence of the toll the recession has inflicted on America's workers, and economists say there's no relief in sight.

If part-time and discouraged workers are factored in, the unemployment rate would have been 15.6 percent in March, the highest on records dating to 1994, according to Labor Department data released Friday.

The average work week in March dropped to 33.2 hours, a new record low.

"It's an ugly report and April is going to be equally as bad," predicted Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com.

Last month's tally of job losses was slightly higher than the 654,000 that economists expected. The rise in the unemployment rate matched expectations.

Employers cut 651,000 jobs in February when the jobless rate was 8.1 percent, the same as initially estimated. January's job losses, however, were revised much higher, to 741,000 from 655,000.

Since the recession began in December 2007, the economy has lost a net total of 5.1 million jobs, with almost two-thirds of the losses occurring in the last five months.

The number of unemployed people climbed to 13.2 million in March. In addition, the number of people forced to work part time for "economic reasons" rose by 423,000 to 9 million. Those are people who would like to work full time but whose hours were cut back or were unable to find full-time work.

Looking forward, economists expect monthly job losses continuing for most -- if not all of -- this year.

However, they are hoping that payroll reductions in the current quarter won't be as deep as the roughly 685,000 average monthly job losses in the January-March period.

In the best-case scenario, employment losses in the present quarter would be about half that pace, some economists said. That scenario partly assumes the economy won't be shrinking nearly as much in the present quarter.

The deterioration in the jobs market comes despite a few hopeful signs recently that the recession -- now the longest since World War II -- could be easing.

Orders placed with U.S. factories actually rose in February, ending a six straight months of declines, the government reported Thursday. Earlier in the week, there was better-than-expected reports on construction spending and pending home sales. And last week a report showed that consumer spending -- an engine of the economy -- rose in February for the second month in a row -- after a half-year of declines.

But as the economic downturn eats into their sales and profits, companies are laying off workers and resorting to other cost-saving measures. Those include holding down hours, and freezing or cutting pay, to survive the storm.

Job losses were widespread last month. Construction companies cut 126,000 jobs. Factories axed 161,000. Retailers got rid of nearly 50,000. Professional and business services eliminated 133,000. Leisure and hospitality reduced employment by 40,000. Even the government cut jobs -- 5,000 of them.

Education and health care were the few industries showing any job gains.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the recession could end later this year, setting the stage for a recovery next year, if the government is successful in bolstering the banking system. Banks have been clobbered by the worst housing, credit and financial crises to hit the country since the 1930s.

Even if the recession ends this year, the economy will remain frail, analysts said. Companies will have little appetite to ramp up hiring until they feel the economy is truly out of the woods and any recovery has staying power.

Given that, many economists predict the unemployment rate will hit 10 percent at the end of this year. The Fed says unemployment will remain elevated into 2011.

Economists say the job market may not get back to normal -- meaning a 5 percent unemployment rate -- until 2013.

"There's going to quite a long haul before you see the jobless rate head down," said Bill Cheney, chief economist at John Hancock Financial Services.

To brace the economy, the Fed has slashed a key bank lending rate to an all-time low and has embarked on a series of radical programs to inject billions of dollars into the financial system.

And the Obama administration had launched a multi-pronged strategy to turn the economy around. Its $787 billion stimulus package includes money that will flow to states for public works projects, help them defray budget cuts, extend unemployment benefits and boost food stamp benefits.

The administration also is counting on programs to prop up financial companies and reduce home foreclosures to help turn the economy around.

Still, skittish employers announced more job layoffs this week.

3M Co., the maker of Scotch tape, Post-It Notes and other products, said it's cutting another 1,200 jobs, or 1.5 percent of its work force, because of the global economic slump. Fewer than half the jobs will be in the U.S., but include hundreds in its home state of Minnesota. The 1,200 figure includes cuts made earlier in the first quarter.

Elsewhere, healthcare products distributor Cardinal Health Inc. said it would eliminate 1,300 positions, or about 3 percent of its work force, and semiconductor equipment maker KLA-Tencor Corp. said it will cut about 600 jobs, or 10 percent of its employees.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: Unemployment jumps to 8.5 % in March. Highest in over 25 years.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
Obama and his Administration are literally blind to this fact.

They speak alot of rhetoric, but no real or valid solutions.

Our country is being destroyed one piece at a time by this inept President.

I don't know how people can be so blind to Obama's agenda and not be outraged.

I am disgusted to the very core of my being.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:42:32 PM »

I think allot of these people are still hypnotized to hope and change and think everything is still Bushes fault.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »

You are oversimplifying the matter by blaming one guy. Although of course, he's adding to the problem.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »
I am sick to death of this all being blamed on George Bush! Obamanation NEVER addresses a problem, have you noticed how they talk "around" them instead of dealing with it and talking about things straight to the point? They "deflect" every problem onto someone else and G-d forbid the media EVER see and report the REAL truth! I am so furious that the American people can be as dumb as they've been to vote in Obamanation!  >:(
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:38:35 PM »
I am sick to death of this all being blamed on George Bush! Obamanation NEVER addresses a problem, have you noticed how they talk "around" them instead of dealing with it and talking about things straight to the point? They "deflect" every problem onto someone else and G-d forbid the media EVER see and report the REAL truth! I am so furious that the American people can be as dumb as they've been to vote in Obamanation!  >:(

Even though I hate Bush though I am sick and tired of the media blaming everything on Bush.  There blaming the wrong targets.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:46:18 AM »
Just wait until the auto industry collapses and AT&T goes on strike. 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:56:19 AM »
Great post!! You pointed out many things that go clear over most peoples heads. What I do blame President Bush for is when he had a Republican held House and Senate in his first term he did not act on key issues such as immigration control and at the minimum the deportation of any illegal here with a criminal record. They are all criminals just by being here illegally however if he would have at least cleaned up part of the mess it would have been something. He also needed to take an aggressive stand on the sub-prime housing mess. He brought it up a few times early on but backed down because of outcrying from Democrats and moderate Republicans about it being class warfare and racist. I think the fact that he decided to stick to his bipartisan rhetoric early on was a big mistake and came back to bite him as his presidency continued. The shvartza has a firm hold on the 3 branches of power much better then Bush had and he is using it to his full advantage. He talks bipartisanship however Republicans in congress are kept on a very short leash. If President Bush only would have done the same the Democrats in congress would never had been able to stonewall and obstruct him for 6 of his 8 years. The only hope left is for the numbers in congress to change in 2010 to where Republicans will have the ability to control the speed that some of the more radical legislation is being pushed through. The way we are going I don't see much left to salvage by then anyway.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »
Great post!! You pointed out many things that go clear over most peoples heads. What I do blame President Bush for is when he had a Republican held House and Senate in his first term he did not act on key issues such as immigration control and at the minimum the deportation of any illegal here with a criminal record. They are all criminals just by being here illegally however if he would have at least cleaned up part of the mess it would have been something. He also needed to take an aggressive stand on the sub-prime housing mess. He brought it up a few times early on but backed down because of outcrying from Democrats and moderate Republicans about it being class warfare and racist. I think the fact that he decided to stick to his bipartisan rhetoric early on was a big mistake and came back to bite him as his presidency continued. The shvartza has a firm hold on the 3 branches of power much better then Bush had and he is using it to his full advantage. He talks bipartisanship however Republicans in congress are kept on a very short leash. If President Bush only would have done the same the Democrats in congress would never had been able to stonewall and obstruct him for 6 of his 8 years. The only hope left is for the numbers in congress to change in 2010 to where Republicans will have the ability to control the speed that some of the more radical legislation is being pushed through. The way we are going I don't see much left to salvage by then anyway.

It's such a fraudulent tactic when they say they've only been in power for x number of days.  Just wait for them to say, "we've only been in power for 990 days and we didn't start the problem."  Bush did make some hideous mistakes but Obama has already prolonged a crisis that could have ended in February by letting Citibank and AIG fail and give new bankers and new insurers a crack at the new business.  I don't understand what the problem is with letting businesses fail and then give grants and support to new people who want to get into those businesses and industries?  Why did Goldman Sachs get the largest bailout from Paulson who used to work there?  Why are we letting regional banks fail and not letting the big ones fail?  It seems they don't want as much competition.   

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:27:41 AM »
I could see the government bailing out the banks to some extent since in some respect they would be footing the bill for the bank failure either way. If a bank like Citi went down in a bad way the possible panic that would go through the banking industry would be just more then the government could handle under FDIC. I think that's why they are allowing the smaller banks to fold while still propping up the worst offenders.  AIG found itself in the enviable position of having its grips on vast amounts of government pensions and municipal bond holdings and its collapse would have caused a whole set of other problems for local government that would be far reaching. The thing that bothers me is the moment the bail out money went in it should have arrived along with the bank examiners and regulators who would be directing every little move the bank made from then on.  The problem is that the government allowed the bad banking system to go on for so long under benign neglect or corruption that it makes them look hypocritical when they chastise the industry. I think this is why politicians even passed legislation that gave bonus pay to AIG people all the while wishing it would go through  unnoticed.
As far as the car companies go the Democrats owe the unions big time for all the votes that come from the Union rank and file. How exactly would this administration toss in the towel on bailouts to stave off bankruptcy unless it showed it tried all else. At the end of the day GM and Chrysler will be restructured and the way it looks they will be D.O.A. The shvartza President can then claim he tried everything to prevent it. Their demise may allow Ford to survive a while longer.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 08:26:37 AM »
I could not agree more cjd that Bush should have done something ANYTHING about immigration, I complained about that during the Bush years constantly and sent faxes etc through Numbers USA and sent my own snail mails and emails constantly.
You are right that Bush should have done something about it, but I blame Barney Frank and others for the housing/mortgage mess. The Republicans should have pushed harder to look into it, but then, they'd all have been called racists, had that been done or something been done about it! So it was a no win situation. This mess is just getting bigger, and frankly, I am terrified of what's to come. I plan to vote OUT all those idiots come 2010, my only regret is that we can't vote them ALL out at once!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane