Author Topic: Hamas couldn't fire smuggled Stingers against Israelis due to embedded ID system  (Read 519 times)

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
Hamas couldn't fire smuggled Stingers against Israelis due to embedded ID system

:laugh: :laugh: :::D :laugh: :laugh:
GAZA CITY — The Hamas regime acquired U.S.-origin air defense systems but was unable to use them in combat.   

Hamas sources said the Islamic military has acquired the Stinger man-portable air defense system. The sources said the Stingers were acquired from smugglers in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula in 2008 and deployed in the 22-day war against Israel in January 2009.
"We were disappointed by them, and they were found to have been useless," a Hamas source said.
The source said Hamas smuggled four Stinger systems in 2008. The source said the Hamas military deployed the Stingers against Israel Air Force AH-64 Apache attack helicopters during strike missions in the northern Gaza Strip.

I wish there was a more in-depth story regarding this. This is great, I wish they had blown up in their faces or fire and make a U-turn and come straight back.

Here is a link to the story http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2009/me_hamas0266_04_02.asp

Offline Adrian Wainer

• Full JTFer
Hamas couldn't fire smuggled Stingers against Israelis due to embedded ID system

:laugh: :laugh: :::D :laugh: :laugh:
GAZA CITY — The Hamas regime acquired U.S.-origin air defense systems but was unable to use them in combat.   

Hamas sources said the Islamic military has acquired the Stinger man-portable air defense system. The sources said the Stingers were acquired from smugglers in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula in 2008 and deployed in the 22-day war against Israel in January 2009.
"We were disappointed by them, and they were found to have been useless," a Hamas source said.
The source said Hamas smuggled four Stinger systems in 2008. The source said the Hamas military deployed the Stingers against Israel Air Force AH-64 Apache attack helicopters during strike missions in the northern Gaza Strip.

I wish there was a more in-depth story regarding this. This is great, I wish they had blown up in their faces or fire and make a U-turn and come straight back.

Here is a link to the story http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2009/me_hamas0266_04_02.asp

This story does not make any sense to me, in that if Western IFF systems were so simple, the Russians could say equip fighter aircraft they would sell to say Syria or Iran with black boxes to allow them to pretend to be American or Israeli aircraft. If they are Stingers from the time of the Soviet Occupation of Afghanistan, they have probably passed their use by date and failed for that reason.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer
"Ik val aan, volg mij!" Schout-bij-nacht Karel Willem Frederik Marie Doorman February 28 1942.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I led a stinger squad during my time in the military. At least the German stinger called Fliegerfaust has not this kind of friend and foe technology.

Also I didn't believe, that it would lock on a heavy machine gun.

This is because there are two sensors in the head of this missle. One sensors the UV light, that comes from the sun. Where the aircraft is, is a shadow. This is the target.

Another one sensors the heat of the aircraft, that is from the aerodynamic drag and the engine.

Also this missle has a special convergence to the aircraft. It flies a great bow, not directly to the target.

Plus I think the heavy machine gun squad was near the stinger fiering squad. The story is because of this impossible too, because the missle looses some altitude after the starting engine is burned out. It would fall on the ground.

Either this story is madeup, or the Israelis managed to sent the quranimals manipulated missles. :::D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Adrian Wainer

• Full JTFer
Additionally why would Hamas if they had problems with a weapon want to talk about it, what advantage is it to them to say they had problems with a weapon. The story does not make sense in any way of being a a factual account. I rather think it is somebody seeing if they can get people believing in something which never ever actually happened.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer 
"Ik val aan, volg mij!" Schout-bij-nacht Karel Willem Frederik Marie Doorman February 28 1942.