Author Topic: I don't know who leonard Cohen is but U.K. leftists beg him boycott Israel  (Read 782 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
But he won't he's an observant Jew                        http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1080885.html 

heres an article about him he appears to against abortion also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Cohen
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Last I heard, he was an observant Tibetan Buddhist. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
NO IF YOU READ THE WIKI ARTICLE HE SAYS NO

In his early career as a novelist, Beautiful Losers grappled with the mysticism of the Catholic/Iroquois Catherine Tekakwitha. Cohen has also been involved with Buddhism at least since the 1970s and in 1996 he was ordained a Buddhist monk. However, he still considers himself also a Jew: "I'm not looking for a new religion. I'm quite happy with the old one, with Judaism."[28]

He is described as an observant Jew in an article in the New York Times[29] : "Mr. Cohen is an observant Jew who keeps the Sabbath even while on tour and performed for Israeli troops during the 1973 Arab-Israeli war. So how does he square that faith with his continued practice of Zen?"

"Allen Ginsberg asked me the same question many years ago," he said. "Well, for one thing, in the tradition of Zen that I've practiced, there is no prayerful worship and there is no affirmation of a deity. So theologically there is no challenge to any Jewish belief[30]."
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
NO IF YOU READ THE WIKI ARTICLE HE SAYS NO

In his early career as a novelist, Beautiful Losers grappled with the mysticism of the Catholic/Iroquois Catherine Tekakwitha. Cohen has also been involved with Buddhism at least since the 1970s and in 1996 he was ordained a Buddhist monk. However, he still considers himself also a Jew: "I'm not looking for a new religion. I'm quite happy with the old one, with Judaism."[28]

He is described as an observant Jew in an article in the New York Times[29] : "Mr. Cohen is an observant Jew who keeps the Sabbath even while on tour and performed for Israeli troops during the 1973 Arab-Israeli war. So how does he square that faith with his continued practice of Zen?"

"Allen Ginsberg asked me the same question many years ago," he said. "Well, for one thing, in the tradition of Zen that I've practiced, there is no prayerful worship and there is no affirmation of a deity. So theologically there is no challenge to any Jewish belief[30]."
Okay, if he says so.