Author Topic: Norway May Ban Gas Cars After 2015...take that A-rabs  (Read 2618 times)

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Norway May Ban Gas Cars After 2015...take that A-rabs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »

They're doing things backwards, we should ban arabs, from the planet, and allow gas powered cars.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »
Wow!!!!  Thats great,  but I'll bet you a pound of pork they dont do it.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
I don't think this is going happen, because two political parties in Norway are already against this proposal.

But, I do like the idea that New yorker replied to this thread with, that they should ban Arabs first.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »
They probably want to ban gas cars in order to spare the environment, for green reasons, and not because they don't like arabs or muslims... I just want to be sure that there is enough gas to continue operating my classic cars.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:42:31 PM »
That would mean 2-3 million people would have to get rid of their gas cars and buy hybrids within a 6 year period.. I know Norwegians are crazy self-hating scum, but they're not stupid. Where do they get they idea that they will pull that off?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 01:27:11 AM »
I'd like to see some country do something like this to see if cars can really run well on alternatives.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »

They're doing things backwards, we should ban arabs, from the planet, and allow gas powered cars.

Ban Muslims.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
Yes, they should drive ponys instead.
They may be doing this for stupid reasons, but this may not be such a bad idea. Imagine less money for "members of enemy forces" to carry on "man-caused disasters".

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
If nations mandated that new cars be run without gas or oil, it would be a death blow to Islam. It would force the auto industry to produce electric cars quickly and more efficiently.

Gasoline for motor vehicles accounts for half of all of our oil use.

I wish that Norway and every other nation would pass laws like this. But the grip of the multinational corporations that want us to remain addicted to oil prevents these necessary emergency measures from being enacted.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:24:27 PM »
If nations mandated that new cars be run without gas or oil, it would be a death blow to Islam. It would force the auto industry to produce electric cars quickly and more efficiently.

I wish that Norway and every other nation would pass laws like this. But the grip of the multinational corporations that want us to remain addicted to oil prevents these necessary emergency measures from being enacted.

Chaim,

Do you know what the cost would be for electric cars? I mean for the actual vehicle and the cost to run the car. In my estimation it will be very costly. Who will pay for this increase in cost of transportation? Are we prepared to all use mass transit? Maybe for the next generation but honestly it will be very painful for me to give up my sports car. I am all for investing in the future by developing these vehicles but I don't think the government should enforce such a change.

Multinational corporations will invest in whatever it takes to make money. The oil business is not cheap but it pays. These energy corporations can invest in alternate technologies and the free market will dictate this. I believe that the work in hybrids will pay off and many of my coworkers drive the Prius hybrid.

I believe it would be costly both in vehicle cost and cost to run. Generating all this electricity will also have a negative impact on the environment. Imagine the electric bill each month.

If I am wrong then please point out why.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »

Chaim,

Do you know what the cost would be for electric cars? I mean for the actual vehicle and the cost to run the car. In my estimation it will be very costly. Who will pay for this increase in cost of transportation? Are we prepared to all use mass transit? Maybe for the next generation but honestly it will be very painful for me to give up my sports car. I am all for investing in the future by developing these vehicles but I don't think the government should enforce such a change.

Multinational corporations will invest in whatever it takes to make money. The oil business is not cheap but it pays. These energy corporations can invest in alternate technologies and the free market will dictate this. I believe that the work in hybrids will pay off and many of my coworkers drive the Prius hybrid.

I believe it would be costly both in vehicle cost and cost to run. Generating all this electricity will also have a negative impact on the environment. Imagine the electric bill each month.

Muman, please. Must you disagree with everything that Chaim states?

For the record, it is extremely easy to make an electric car--there are many out now that are completely functional and sound. There is an unlimited supply of electricity available, unlike ethanol or oil. We can generate as much electricity as we want via wind, solar, and (especially) nuclear power. It's really quite easy and the reason why this is not being done enough is simply because the will does not exist.

I really hope that you are not seriously dismissing the fact that we have an oligopolistic/monopolistic economy. The reason why the oil industry reigns supreme is not that it is easy and lucrative (well, it is for those on the top), but because (a) regulations put in place by politicians whose campaigns are financed by monopolies make it supremely difficult for start-ups to challenge the big boys and (b) because there are no incentives for anybody to branch out when guaranteed success is assured by having a few captive markets (i.e. exclusive contracts over all Saudi/Kuwaiti oil). I believe in vigorous antitrust enforcement (something that has never happened in America) so that true capitalism can prevail, but even barring that I can guarantee you that we would see the number of electric cars produced increase tenfold this instant if our prostitute politicians were to declare right now that automakers switching over to EC production would receive an 80% reduction in corporate or capital-gains taxes.

Last but not least, your sports car is the least important thing in the scheme of things... please. But I can promise you that we have the technology to build electric or biodiesel sports cars.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »

Chaim,

First of all, I favor a mandate for new cars. Your sports car would be unaffected.

Second, this is a war for survival against terrorist Islam. You have to make investments and spend money to win wars. And you have to make difficult decisions.

Third, in the long term, we would save enormously if we made the necessary investment now in an oil-free future. Our addiction to oil, and the enpowerment of the Muslim Nazis as a result of that addiction, cost us much more than the expense of producing only electric cars, or the expense of producing our electricity with clean coal and other alternatives.

Fourth and most importantly, I responded to this thread because I was deeply disturbed by the response that you and other Jews on this forum have given. In all of your comments, where is your concern about Israel? Your sports car is more important than the survival of Israel? I don't see a word about how this would affect Israel. Because it's obvious that it is in Israel's vital interest that we stop sending trillions of dollars to Muslim Nazi regimes like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. These Muslim regimes have been plotting a holocaust against Israeli Jewry for decades. Every penny that we send them endangers Israel. But instead you write about your sports car, the inconvenience of public transportation and the environment. And you write about the "free market" which is anything but free. It's controlled by multinational corporate traitors who are vastly increasing our dependence on oil. The need for oil will increase tremendously in upcoming years unless a radical change in policy is initiated.

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
Israelis are already working on promotion of electric cars.

On Monday, the Israeli government will announce its support for a broad effort to promote the use of electric cars, embracing a joint venture between an American-Israeli entrepreneur and Renault and its partner, Nissan Motor Company.

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, with the active support of President Shimon Peres, intends to make Israel a laboratory to test the practicality of an environmentally clean electric car. The state will offer tax incentives to purchasers, and the new company, with a $200 million investment to start, will begin construction of facilities to recharge the cars and replace empty batteries quickly.

The idea, said Shai Agassi, 39, the software entrepreneur behind the new company, is to sell electric car transportation on the model of the cellphone. Purchasers get subsidized hardware — the car — and pay a monthly fee for expected mileage, like minutes on a cellphone plan, eliminating concerns about the fluctuating price of gasoline.

Mr. Agassi and his investors are convinced that the cost of running such a car will be significantly cheaper than a model using gasoline (currently $6.28 a gallon here.)

“With $100 a barrel oil, we’ve crossed a historic threshold where electricity and batteries provide a cheaper alternative for consumers,” Mr. Agassi said. “You buy a car to go an infinite distance, and we need to create the same feeling for an electric car — that you can fill it up when you stop or sleep and go an infinite distance.”

Full article here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/world/middleeast/21israel.html?_r=1&ref=world

G-d willing, if the initiative is successful, this may be the end of the oil dependence.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

Chaim,

Muman, please. Must you disagree with everything that Chaim states?

For the record, it is extremely easy to make an electric car--there are many out now that are completely functional and sound. There is an unlimited supply of electricity available, unlike ethanol or oil. We can generate as much electricity as we want via wind, solar, and (especially) nuclear power. It's really quite easy and the reason why this is not being done enough is simply because the will does not exist.

I really hope that you are not seriously dismissing the fact that we have an oligopolistic/monopolistic economy. The reason why the oil industry reigns supreme is not that it is easy and lucrative (well, it is for those on the top), but because (a) regulations put in place by politicians whose campaigns are financed by monopolies make it supremely difficult for start-ups to challenge the big boys and (b) because there are no incentives for anybody to branch out when guaranteed success is assured by having a few captive markets (i.e. exclusive contracts over all Saudi/Kuwaiti oil). I believe in vigorous antitrust enforcement (something that has never happened in America) so that true capitalism can prevail, but even barring that I can guarantee you that we would see the number of electric cars produced increase tenfold this instant if our prostitute politicians were to declare right now that automakers switching over to EC production would receive an 80% reduction in corporate or capital-gains taxes.

Last but not least, your sports car is the least important thing in the scheme of things... please. But I can promise you that we have the technology to build electric or biodiesel sports cars.

There is no question that it IS feasible in the United States and any other country BUT!!!!!!!!  I am SUPER skeptical because the politicians WONT allow this to happen.

NOT BECAUSE OF THE CARS THEMSELVES!!!! but because the politicians WONT allow an increase in energy supply/production to meet this need.   Assuming that every car in the U.S. would be powered by Electricity, we would need to increase our electriciy production to almost DOUBLE what it is now.  This CAN be done... very feasibly by building about 200 new, state of the art Nuclear power plants, and this would help us in SO MANY WAYS!!!!

BUT!!! the politicians are too treasonous and short-sided to allow this.  Obama himself said that he does NOT want to look at nuclear power.  He is living in la la land... since his ideas would actually DECREASE the electricity supplied in our country.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
March to oil free culture... March to muslamic free future...
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »
I do not disagree with everything which Chaim says, SerbAvenger, because if I did I certainly would not be hanging out here and trying to support the JTF movement through my actions. Having said that I still stand by my statement that electric cars are expensive, both to create, and to run because generating electricity requires an energy source and currently most generation methods are harsh on the environment.

I do not expect the world to exist just for me to be able to drive my sports car. I believe that we live in a complex economy where my contribution to the field of Digital video allow others to pursue interests in creating more efficient vehicles. I do believe that for both reasons, to remove the need for Arab oil and to ease the burden on the environment, we should pursue alternate energy sources.

But my response to this post is that by governmental enforcement of such a sort will have HUGE economic impact. Unless the government subsidizes the purchase of these new cars I don't see the average American being able to afford this. If someone would research the costs and report the actual impact I would be more inclined to change my view.

I do think of Israel and the impact on Israel each day. Im sorry if I seemed insensitive but certainly I should not be condemned for not mentioning it more.

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
I do not disagree with everything which Chaim says, SerbAvenger, because if I did I certainly would not be hanging out here and trying to support the JTF movement through my actions. Having said that I still stand by my statement that electric cars are expensive, both to create, and to run because generating electricity requires an energy source and currently most generation methods are harsh on the environment.

I do not expect the world to exist just for me to be able to drive my sports car. I believe that we live in a complex economy where my contribution to the field of Digital video allow others to pursue interests in creating more efficient vehicles. I do believe that for both reasons, to remove the need for Arab oil and to ease the burden on the environment, we should pursue alternate energy sources.

But my response to this post is that by governmental enforcement of such a sort will have HUGE economic impact. Unless the government subsidizes the purchase of these new cars I don't see the average American being able to afford this. If someone would research the costs and report the actual impact I would be more inclined to change my view.

I do think of Israel and the impact on Israel each day. Im sorry if I seemed insensitive but certainly I should not be condemned for not mentioning it more.

Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place

This is a real project that is currently being implemented in Israel.

Quote from: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/world/middleeast/21israel.html?_r=1&ref=world
"With $100 a barrel oil, we’ve crossed a historic threshold where electricity and batteries provide a cheaper alternative for consumers"

I don't know what are the reasons of this Shay Agassi's statement but I think this guy knows what he's talking about. He is a well-known Israeli software entrepreneur and businessman. More about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shai_Agassi
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
Muman, we need to look at the larger picture here.  Sure producing electric cars may be expensive at first.    However, once more businesses get involved, prices will surely drop due to competition. 

Also, what do you *really* mean by expensive.  What price point are you comparing it to?  I think in the long run, electric cars will certainly be less expensive than having a military presence in rogue Middle East states.  It will be less expensive than implementing anti-terror measures domestically.  It will definitely be less expensive than having to fight a defensive war due to the fact that moosies think we're too pro-Israel. 

The fact that electric cars may at first be expensive is absolutely no excuse to throw your hands up and continue with the status quo.  Every dollar we give to Muslim countries endangers Israel and the U.S.  Do you really want to risk that just for the sake of being able to drive a fancy car? 

And one more thing. 

Brazil was able to achieve energy independence several years ago.  There was even an article about it on the JTF.org website.  So if a Third World country can do it, America can certainly do the same thing.  We just need to figure out how to get around these traitor politicians and their multinational corporate bedfellows. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »
I see two stories related to this post on A7 news today...

1st, Norway is having a resurgence of Antisemitism so I don't think that this Norway ban is related to trying to help the Jewish people, nor insult the Muslims.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/131079

Anti-Semitism at Supermarket Checkout Counter in Norway
Iyar 4, 5769, 28 April 09 11:54
by Ernie Singer

(IsraelNN.com) Anti-Semitism is taking subtle and not-so-subtle forms in Norway, according to a report published Sunday by blogger Bennett Epstein of the Cleveland News.

Managers of a number of supermarkets in the Scandinavian country are drawing attention to the Israeli origin of oranges and other products, reported Epstein, who said the move was designed to help anti-Israeli citizens avoid them. The managers deny that anti-Semitism is a motive.

Boikott Israel I, a group that has urged Norwegians to avoid Israeli oranges since the beginning of the 1990's, recently extended its boycott to all Israeli products. A number of labor unions are also refusing to handle products imported from the Jewish State.

In addition, Norway’s Youth Labor Movement organized a demonstration against Israeli participants in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Norway has served as a neo-Nazi niche and free zone for European anti-Semites since the 1930's, when many people supported the Nazis, even though many others opposed them.

The second largest party in the country’s parliament today is an extreme right group which opposes the Jewish ritual of circumcision, among other things. Only 30 of Norway's pre-Holocaust communities remain. Most of the country's 1,500 Jews live in the nation’s capital, Oslo.

2nd, Israel is working hard to discover alternate sources for energy. I have long hoped for efficient solar energy so we can reduce the amount of electricity needed to power homes. Here is a great article about what Israel is doing in this field:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/131094

Kibbutz Solar Farm will ‘Help Fight Terror’
Iyar 5, 5769, 29 April 09 04:24
by Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu
(IsraelNN.com)

President Shimon Peres this week launched the world’s first commercial thermal-electric solar farm, which will generate solar electricity along with hot water for Kibbutz Yavne, and said it will help fight terror by reducing dependency on Iranian oil.

The Israeli Zenith Solar firm designed the novel system for Yavne, a national-religious kibbutz located halfway between Tel Aviv and Be’er Sheva. The solar energy complex uses mirrors that magnify the sun’s power 1,000 times instead of employing the standard low-efficiency solar cell.

The Zenith system harvests 50 percent of the sun’s radiation, compared with 10 percent in standard systems. A single solar cell opposite a concave dish of 1,000 small mirrors absorbs the solar energy. Each mirror measures about 15 centimeters (six inches) in each direction.

The dishes, currently numbering more than two dozen, are powered by a 60-watt motor that keeps them positioned opposite the sun.

Water, pumped to the cell at the rate of seven liters (1.8 gallons) a minute to keep it from burning out, limits its surface temperature to “only” 80 degrees Celsius (176 degrees Fahrenheit).

The resultant near-boiling water is pumped into a 20,000-liter (5,200-gallon) storage tank that keeps the water hot for up to 24 hours. From there, it is pumped to kibbutz homes.

Zenith’s team, which includes entrepreneur Roy Segev and Ben Gurion University Professor David Faiman, explained that the system will provide approximately half of the energy needs of Kibbutz Yavne residents. They will be saving 40,000 liters (10,400 gallons) of regular fuel, and the cost of the solar energy will be approximate 8 cents a kilowatt hour, slightly less than the cost of electricity supplied by the Israel Electric Corp (IEC).

President Peres, speaking at the ceremony launching the solar farm, called it “democratic” energy that is available to everyone in the world. He added, “It is a natural way to fight terror because the oil-producing countries of Iran and Venezuela destroy our lives by terror.”

Segev, Zenith’s chief executive officer, noted that the project is financed solely by Israeli venture capitalists and without government aid. Zenith co-founder Bob Whelan of Australia refrained from detailing the cost of the project but said it amounts to “millions of dollars.” Yavneh’s business manager Moshe Leider said the kibbutz made a modest investment of less than $250,000 for the pilot system.

The solar farm is located next to the kibbutz’s high school and in the heart of the cooperative agricultural-industrial community. The rows of the solar system are approximately 50 feet apart. Yavneh, known for its thriftiness and resourcefulness since it was founded 68 years ago, is not going to waste the two acres (eight dunam) of land.

Lieder said that a vineyard will be planted between the rows of solar dishes, making the solar field a true farm in the original sense of the word.

I just thought I would post what I see as an interesting coincidence...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »

Muman, where is your Jewish idealism? Where is your faith and hope in Hashem? None of this is an unrealistic goal--in fact, as Lisa mentioned several countries less developed than ours have already made it a reality.

Granted, sugarcane doesn't grow like a weed here like it does in Brazil, but we can create infinite electricity. Unlike oil, electricity is a renewable resource and there isn't even a theoretical limit on the maximum amount we can generate. There are homes in the hot American southwest (where I live) that are completely functional on solar power alone (they put those panels across their roofs); what would life be like if every household in southern California/Arizona/NV/NM did that? And that's a relatively easy, lazy way to go about it; what about nuclear power (which is literally inexhaustible) or wind or hydroelectric or biomass?

Expense!?! Expense certainly was not an issue for you when you bought your collection of sports cars. You are worried about price? A whole lot of working- and middle-class people whose incomes do not come close to yours have managed to buy Priuses and Insights. Even if an electric car will always be more expensive than a liquid-fuel car (which I highly doubt), how much would the consumer save over a lifetime in fuel costs? And what about production costs? Are you honestly telling me it is cheaper and more efficient to have sand negroes 16,000 miles away extract, process, and barrel oil and load it up on barges (after paying the requisite baksheesh to the Saudi "royals") than to wire in fresh, clean power 120 miles from the hills of Palm Springs to homes in downtown Los Angeles?

Of course there would be big start-up costs, but doesn't every business have those? If the government, which is throwing hundreds of billions of dollars like water down the rathole to corpses like AIG and GM, invested just one-tenth of that in all these garage industries that have sprouted up that will build you a kit to make your car run on electricity, bacon grease, soybean oil, etc., they would have all that money back and then some in a decade and tens of millions of sophisticated new jobs would be created for mechanical and technical workers to boot. The economy would soar to unforeseen heights and the lack of the oil monkey would go a long way towards making it recession-proof. And even if you don't want that money to be spent, just imagine what the result would be if Congress right now passed a law granting 90% lifetime corporate tax immunity to any automaker that switches to an all-electric fleet by 2012. I guarantee you we'd see some action then.

Finally, you profess to be a staunch and stalwart advocate of the free market, but you are one of this forum's biggest advocates of locking up and throwing away the key on Bernie Madoff, who practiced it. Unlike what the oil oligopolies are currently doing to us, Madoff's investors had perfect free will and knew what they were doing when they signed their life savings over to that charlatan. It seems like you only want the market to be free up to a point.

PS what does Norwegian anti-Semitism have to do with the fact that we need to get our tuchises off of Muslim Nazi oil? Are you trying to say that because Norway is anti-Semitic, nobody should use electric cars?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »
I am just commenting that the original post in this thread discusses Norways banning of gas cars. As I said in my initial posting on this thread, I believe this is simply motivated by environmental concerns and not to reduce dependance on Arab oil.

I have never said I do not believe we should invest and move toward fuel efficiency. I have been saying this for almost 15 years and it is good that much work has been done. I personally dont think that in my lifetime that we will be entirely free of gas powered vehicles.

Maybe within 30 years we will see the fruits of the work which is going on now.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
I also believe that I said concerning Madoff that what he did was wrong. Deception in business practices is a big NO-NO in Judaism. Despite how much Madoff gave to charities all of it was for evil. I have heard Rabbis say that one of the first things a soul is asked when standing before the holy tribunal is whether the souls business dealings were fair and he did not engage in deception. Well, Madoff loses on this question and he will surely be spending some time in Gehinnom.

I am a firm believer in the free market and the market can only be free, as in the Jewish idea of Free meaning with responsibility, if we follow the rules {commands} of holy business practices. I am aware that American capitalism is far from the Torah ideal of commerce but I am very awed by how it has been run so far. As everyone is aware I do not subscribe to the belief that the Illuminati, or the Kabal, or the Masons or the Trilateral commision, or any individual is manipulating the system from the top level. I do believe that greed has caused a lot of casualties and hurt many people. I don't invest in the stock market, yet my company stock is still doing very well and increased again today. I treat everyone in business fairly and I have hope that the system is basically good.

I don't see any comparison between what Madoff did by selling people worthless pieces of paper and what the oil companies do by providing the refineries, the transport, and the filling stations which I use in order to go to work. In the case of the oil companies I am getting what I paid for, in Madoffs case the people were fleeced.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I am just commenting that the original post in this thread discusses Norways banning of gas cars. As I said in my initial posting on this thread, I believe this is simply motivated by environmental concerns and not to reduce dependance on Arab oil.

I have never said I do not believe we should invest and move toward fuel efficiency. I have been saying this for almost 15 years and it is good that much work has been done. I personally dont think that in my lifetime that we will be entirely free of gas powered vehicles.

Maybe within 30 years we will see the fruits of the work which is going on now.

WHO CARES about the stupid environment already!?! Would you stop it with the strawman criticisms already? What matters is that for whatever reason, Norway is making a smart move and we would be wise to emulate them.

The oil companies are selling to you at a price almost ten times what the production costs actually are an inferior, obsolete product that jeopardizes our very survival. Based purely on amount of oil in the world, refinery technology, the present state of the economy vis-a-vis supply and demand, and infrastructure of the oil companies, oil should be $15-20 barrel right now tops. You are really defending the ripping-off of billions of human beings, including 12 million Jews? I can't believe what you are actually writing!

I'm going to be blunt. I really couldn't care less about your classic car collection. In a truly free market somebody would be able to create an aftermarket engine kit that would get them to run on french-fry drippings anyway, but that is irrelevant. If you can afford a garage full of classic sports cars, you can afford a Prius or something similar to get you to work.

Last but not least, although it should be obvious, the difference between Madoff and what the oil and real estate companies have done is the difference between a consensual ripoff and a nonconsensual ripoff. The idiotic investors were not forced at gunpoint to hand over their life savings to this con man. On the other hand, American consumers did not have a choice but to pay $5/gallon gasoline if they wanted to continue going to work or to pay $750,000 for one-bedroom tract houses if they wanted to avoid being homeless. Bernie Madoff is alleged to have consensually stolen $50 billion; the oil and housing monopolies have collectively plundered trillions from you, me, and the other 6.9 billion people on this planet. Yet you want hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars and countless months of exhaustive federal prosecution time to be spent playing nanny to clean up the messes made by gullible investors.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 06:47:41 PM »
SerbAvenger,

Will you humour me and tell me what you drive? A person with such convictions should obviously be driving a hybrid at this time.