Author Topic: Third swine flu death in 35 yr old. CNN & Yahoo News ignore story to help Obama  (Read 815 times)

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519641,00.html

Health Official: Swine Flu-Related Death Reported in Washington State

A swine flu-related death has been reported in Washington state, bringing the total number of fatalities in the United States to three, FOX affiliate KCPQ confirmed.

The latest victim was described as a man in his 30s with underlying heart conditions.

The unidentified Snohomish County man died Thursday from what appears to be complications from the H1N1 virus, the state Department of Health said in a statement.

In addition to the heart conditions, the man had viral pneumonia at the time of his death, but swine flu was considered a factor in his death, the statement said.

The man reportedly began showing symptoms on April 30.

"This death is tragic," said Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire. "Our thoughts are with those affected by this man's passing. It's a sobering reminder that influenza is serious, and can be fatal. ... Our public health agencies are doing everything they can to track and monitor this outbreak and to protect the people of our state."

His death and the death of a 53-year-old man in Costa Rica on Saturday brings the global death toll to 53, including 48 in Mexico, three in the United States and one in Canada.

Earlier Saturday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the U.S. had 2,254 confirmed cases of the H1N1 swine flu in 44 different states.

"Today there are almost 3,000 probable and confirmed cases here in the United States," the CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat told a news briefing, according to a Reuters report. "The good news is we are not seeing a rise above the epidemic threshhold in that system."

In addition to the three who have died here from the illness, 104 are currently hospitalized.

Click here to see a flu timeline.

Like other deaths outside Mexico, the Costa Rican man suffered from complicating illnesses, including diabetes and chronic lung disease, the Health Ministry said.

Previously, U.S. authorities reported swine flu deaths of a toddler with a heart defect and a woman with rheumatoid arthritis, and Canadian officials said the woman who died there also had other health problems but gave no details.

Related StoriesCDC: U.S. Has More Than 2,000 Swine Flu Cases
Millions of Kids Begin Returning to Mexico Schools
15 Is Median Age of U.S. Swine Flu Hospital Cases
CDC: 896 in 41 States Sickened With Swine Flu
Relatives Grieve for Texas Woman Who Died of Swine Flu
The Constantly Mutating Flu Virus - Should You Be Worried?
RAW DATA: Country by Country Look at Swine Flu Cases, Deaths
Swine Flu Questions Without Answers
FACTBOX: Swine Flu
In Mexico, where 48 people with swine flu have died, most of the victims have been adults aged 20 to 49, and many had no reported complicating factors. People with chronic illnesses usually are at greatest risk for severe problems from flu, along with the elderly and young children.

The Costa Rican fatality was one of eight swine flu cases in the country confirmed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Minister Maria Luisa Avila told The Associated Press.

Avila said officials had been unable to determine how the Costa Rican patients became infected, but she said he had not recently traveled abroad. Many flu sufferers in other nations have been linked to recent trips to the United States or Mexico.

Mexico, which raised its count of confirmed cases to 1,626 based on tests of earlier patients, continued to gradually lift a nationwide shutdown of schools, businesses, churches and soccer stadiums.

But an upswing in suspected — though not confirmed — cases in parts of Mexico prompted authorities in at least six of the country's 31 states to delay plans to let primary school students return to class on Monday after a two-week break.

"It has been very stable ... except for those states," Health Department spokesman Carlos Olmos said, referring to states in central and southern Mexico.

Mexican health authorities released a breakdown of the first 45 of the country's 48 flu deaths that showed that 84 percent of the victims were between the ages of 20 and 54. Only 2.2 percent were immune-depressed, and none had a previous history of respiratory disease.

In Japan, authorities quarantined a high school teacher and three teenage students who tested positive in an airport test for swine flu after they returned from a school trip to Canada. Officials said they were working with the World Health Organization to contact at least 13 people on the flight who had gone on to other destinations.

Japanese Health and Welfare Minister Yoichi Masuzoe acknowledged it would be difficult to trace everyone who came into contact with the infected Japanese, who visited Ontario on a home-stay program in a group of about 30 students. The three were isolated and recovering at a hospital near Narita International Airport.

"There are limitations to what we can do, but we will continue to monitor the situation and strengthen or relax such measures as needed," he told reporters.

Public broadcaster NHK TV urged people who were aboard the same Northwest Airlines flight from Detroit to call a special telephone number for consultations. So far, 49 people had been traced and would be monitored for 10 days, officials said.

Australia reported its first case Saturday in a woman it said was no longer infectious. She first noticed her symptoms while traveling in the U.S., federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon told reporters.

New Zealand — the first country in the Asia-Pacific region to confirm cases — reported two more Saturday for a total of seven. The two high school students returned last month from a school trip to Mexico. Six of the country's cases were in students and a teacher on that trip; the seventh traveled on the same plane as the group.

Norway's National Health Directorate reported that country's first two confirmed cases: a man and a woman, both aged 20, who had been studying in Mexico.

In Canada, officials said almost 500 hogs quarantined on an Alberta farm after being diagnosed with swine flu had been killed because animals were becoming overcrowded since the facility was barred from shipping any to market.

"They were not culled for being sick. They were culled because of animal welfare concerns," Dr. Gerald Hauer, the province's chief veterinarian, told reporters. He said about 1,700 pigs remained on the farm.

Authorities have said the pigs apparently became infected from a farm worker who had been in Mexico. Experts say people cannot catch flu from eating pork, but in rare cases people have been infected by contact with a live pig.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
Looks like they finally added the story. I'm sure they will bury the story as soon as possible.  Obama is responsible for the two deaths of American citizens because of his lax border policy and "observing the situation". He failed to act quickly but will not get a bit of criticism from the media. 

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Hmmm. Actually I think the media has been hyping the swine flu to the hilt to get heat off of Obama's asinine economic plans.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
Hmmm. Actually I think the media has been hyping the swine flu to the hilt to get heat off of Obama's asinine economic plans.

That's possible but every talking head on TV has said that Obama is handling the crisis brilliantly when it's exactly the opposite.  Some stories they can't ignore.  If they can get everyone's attention with something like this they will, so they can improve their ratings.  I think they have dropped the story a bit because the disease has spread and it's starting to make Obama look bad.  Also, there are other issues that they focus on but they couldn't ignore the story if it has become like the influenza.  I'm sure if talk radio and Fox News didn't exist, it may not have been focused on as much.  I think CNN/ABC/CBS/NPR/PBS/MSNBC etc have to think of ratings sometimes and they see Fox covering stories that they don't want to cover.  The reason I say this is because I see stories that time and again come out on Fox News or talk radio and it takes the other networks a couple days to even bring up the story.  The drop in violence in Iraq is one example. 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
It's my suspicion that the administration is going to use the swine flue crisis to beat the drum for their upcoming push for a government controlled health care system. They will use case and point to show that people under the present situation are unable to obtain proper health care there by causing situations like this to become worse. If we had some good border control and people coming into the country even for a visit were properly screened when coming from hot spot cities such as Mexico City problems like swine flue would be of minimum concern to Americans. 
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
Sad that he died. Did the shot from 1976 swine flu does that shot still cure this outbreak?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Abben I would doubt it because flu viruses evolve very quickly.

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
The so called normal flu kills 36.ooo people per year...The media hype on swine flu is very overrated. It is sad that 3 people have died of course, but as a public health issue, the panic is so much worse than the flu itself.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
The so called normal flu kills 36.ooo people per year...The media hype on swine flu is very overrated. It is sad that 3 people have died of course, but as a public health issue, the panic is so much worse than the flu itself.

I think this flu is more dangerous than the typical flu and it also has the potential to morph into something really bad in the Fall. 

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see

I think this flu is more dangerous than the typical flu and it also has the potential to morph into something really bad in the Fall. 

Although an eye should be keep on the situation , of course, The numbers are not nearly big enough to be a massive concern. Also as one of the components of the swine flu is the so called regular flu, most people will at least have a foothold to fight it off.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor