Author Topic: Report: Arab sources also say Shalit to be handed over to Egypt soon  (Read 519 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Report: Arab sources also say Shalit to be handed over to Egypt soon

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1095949.html

The Arabic language newspaper Asharq al-Awsat on Saturday quoted Arab officials as saying that abducted Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit will be moved to Egypt soon as part of a deal with Hamas to secure his release.

The report came two days after European officials claimed a breakthrough in negotiations to secure Shalit's release.

Israel Defense Forces corporal Shalit was kidnapped on June 25, 2006, in a cross-border raid from the Gaza Strip that left two of his comrades dead.

On Thursday, Haaretz quoted European diplomatic officials as saying that Shalit would be transferred to Egypt in the coming days as part of an Egyptian-brokered prisoner exchange deal reached two days earlier.

According to Saturday's report in Asharq al-Awsat, Arab and European officials say Shalit will be transferred soon to Egyptian intelligence in exchange for the release of 400 Palestinian prisoners by Israel, most of whom women and children, as well as some Hamas members of parliament.

Despite the multiple reports about Shalit's imminent release, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on Saturday denied that progress has been made in negotiations to free the abducted soldier, Army Radio reported.

"What has been reported in the media does not reflect reality," Haniyeh was quoted as saying.

Shalit's transfer to Egypt would be the first stage of an Egyptian-brokered agreement backed by the United States.

The report said that the Palestinians would be released by Israel only after Shalit has been transferred into the hands of the Egyptian officials. Shalit's parents Noam and Aviva would then be allowed to meet their son in Egypt, followed by the release of the remaining Palestinian prisoners being freed by Israel, and the return of Shalit to Israel.

Israel is expected to release a total of 1,100 Palestinian prisoners under the deal, according to the sources.

Israeli security sources refused to comment on the report and said they were not aware of any progress on the matter. Palestinian sources also expressed doubts about the report.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
I'm not buying this.

So, as usual,  insane demands, up to 1,100 Arab prisoners for 1 Israeli, who, very well, maybe dead.

I am so over the garbage...........................

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
After Shalit is returned and over a thousand palestinian terrorists are turned loose, the Israeli's should go into Gaza and kill 20,000 palestinians. The palestinians deserve far worse than I mentioned.

G-d willing this would come to be!

Shalom - Dox

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Doox,

I totally agree with you...
I'm so tired of Israel agreeing to these insane demands.

Israel should make it a policy that before any swap takes place, that they get a proof of life for Shalit.
Then, Hamas can negotiate, otherwise, it is just plain stupidity to engage Hamas in any further discussions.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
After Shalit is returned and over a thousand palestinian terrorists are turned loose, the Israeli's should go into Gaza and kill 20,000 palestinians. The palestinians deserve far worse than I mentioned.

G-d willing this would come to be!

Shalom - Dox

Indeed it will.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision