Author Topic: Has Anyone Here Read Paul Johnson's "History Of The Jews?"  (Read 610 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Has Anyone Here Read Paul Johnson's "History Of The Jews?"
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
My brother in law lent me the book, and I just started it.  For those of you who've read it, what do you think?

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
Re: Has Anyone Here Read Paul Johnson's "History Of The Jews?"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »
It is a good book in the respect that Johnson treats the Jews favourably in many ways when looking at history.

On the other hand, his grasp of the Jewish religion is not that great, and is tainted by his left-wing beliefs.  In talking about certain religious issues, he takes certain passages out of context; as wll, he holds to the modernist academic view of the Rambam, which is quite inaccurate, and heavily based on ideology.

Nonetheless, I found it to be a very good book, and even though he is a bit of a lefty, Johnson is an author who respects the JEwish people and what they have done.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »
Thanks Yochai. 

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
Hi Lisa, I have the book " History of the Jews" but I have not read all of it.

Shalom - Dox

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
My brother in law lent me the book, and I just started it.  For those of you who've read it, what do you think?
I have not read it. Paul Johnson was for a long time editor of the leftish magazine the New Statesman, but I recall him later describing the deliberate destruction of the southern African economies as one of the most shameful episodes of the 20th century, so he must have sense.