General Category > General Discussion

What it's like to teach black students

(1/5) > >>

Masha:
An interesting article by a school teacher. This agrees with the experiences of my friend who went to South Africa to teach black students as a volunteer.

http://martynemko.blogspot.com/2009/06/white-teacher-speaks-out-what-is-it.html

Rubystars:
That article is very accurate. For those who might live in countries with few blacks, this sentence basically sums it up:

--- Quote ---Most whites simply do not know what
black people are like in large numbers,
and the first encounter can be a shock

--- End quote ---

Don't judge this teacher as "racist" until you've been around a similar number of blacks.

arksis:

--- Quote from: Rubystars on July 06, 2009, 05:21:08 AM ---That article is very accurate. For those who might live in countries with few blacks, this sentence basically sums it up:

--- Quote ---Most whites simply do not know what
black people are like in large numbers,
and the first encounter can be a shock

--- End quote ---

Don't judge this teacher as "racist" until you've been around a similar number of blacks.

--- End quote ---

That is so true! I saw it and lived through it myself in Detroit! >:(

briann:
My wife had her VERY first black student this last year for 3rd grade (She's taught 100's of hispanics, but never a blac).  She started off saying.. he was charming, and had potential, but wasn't focused.... by the end of the year, she hated him and confesed that he was the worst student she EVER had.  He would brutally and violently bully the other Mexican students, he even attempted to rape one of the other students.  He COULD NOT sit still, and would humm and talk to himself during testing.  He would ignore the most basic commands, such as sit down, or write down your name.  He was as teachable as a chimpanzee (My words, not hers)

Lisa:
Great article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version