Author Topic: M1 Garand....  (Read 13301 times)

Offline ModernWarfare

• New JTFer
M1 Garand....
« on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:47 AM »
I have been thinking about saving up and getting an M1 Garand. I think it would be pretty effective for defense despite its age. What do the rest of you think?

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Re: M1 Garand....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »
That was a great rifle.  :dance:
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline joshua

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
That rifle saved Western Civilization from fascism. 

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »
Just make sure you buy the M1A (or an actual M14) and not a clip fed M1.
Obama must use a magic 8-ball, because if he were flipping a coin he'd be right about half of the time.

Offline ModernWarfare

• New JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »
Just make sure you buy the M1A (or an actual M14) and not a clip fed M1.

Why not a real WWII era M1 Garand? Sure it carries 8 rounds but that can be a plus as it can't be classed as an assault rifle. An M14 or M1A (with a 20 round mag) would be nice but if I can't get one of those I will be more than happy with an M1 Garand.

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »
Clips suck, and 8 rounds isn't enough. You say you want it for defense? I don't know what you plan to defend with a Garand, but it's long, slow and heavy. Certainly not ideal for defense.

With an M1A or an M14, you could convert to full-auto if need be.

Assault rifle or not, it probably doesn't matter. Stupid politicians accuse everything without a bolt of being an assault rifle. I have no idea where you live, but the laws regarding assault rifles will not likely affect your ownership of an M1A.

Aren't Garands over $1000, anyways? Complete waste of money.
Obama must use a magic 8-ball, because if he were flipping a coin he'd be right about half of the time.

Offline ModernWarfare

• New JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:52:39 AM »
Clips suck, and 8 rounds isn't enough. You say you want it for defense? I don't know what you plan to defend with a Garand, but it's long, slow and heavy. Certainly not ideal for defense.

With an M1A or an M14, you could convert to full-auto if need be.

Assault rifle or not, it probably doesn't matter. Stupid politicians accuse everything without a bolt of being an assault rifle. I have no idea where you live, but the laws regarding assault rifles will not likely affect your ownership of an M1A.

Aren't Garands over $1000, anyways? Complete waste of money.

I need a rifle that is both accurate and powerful and a M1 Garand is both of these. I have talked to a few Vietnam era soldiers and they said that the M1 Garand was better than the M16s they were issued. An M14 might be better as I could have a 20 rather than 8 round magazine. I am looking for a rifle that will do well for keeping me alive in case of mass civil disorder or race war.

I thought about getting a AK-47 but the ammo was too expensive. I am currently looking to get a M1 Garand, M14 or G3 as my primary weapon.

M1 Garand's go from $800 to $1,300.

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »
Build your own AK. I see the price of AKs has risen dramatically since I last visited the United States, but a brand new AK is still cheaper than a badly used Garand, which is a lot cheaper than a G3.

The WWII Garand doesn't have a magazine, it has a clip, you put the clip into the rifle, and the clip is ejected along with 8th round. I don't know too much about the Garand, I've fired from one once, just one round. I can tell you this much - it is long and it is heavy. It's probably fairly accurate, but you only have 8 rounds before you have to load another clip. Eight rounds is not close to enough.

By modern standards, it's a very heavy gun. It's also very long. If you're thinking of getting either an AR or a Garand, get an AR. You could easily convert the AR into full-auto mode. You can easily stock up on dozens of 30 round clips for the AR. You can buy bigger magazines if you want, although they're far more prone to failure. The Garand was obsolete during WWII. AR and AK rifles are still competent. An AR is light enough that you could hold the pistol grip in one hand, extend your arm and fire it like a pistol. You can also fire it full auto this way, but, for me at least, it's uncontrollable for anything more than a short burst. Even though ARs feel like big air guns, they're pretty durable and dependable. I wouldn't even bother with a normal length AR, unless you really need the added accuracy. The longer the rifle, the harder it is to carry it around, especially if you're getting in and out of a vehicle or moving around confined spaces. For self-defense purposes, an AK or an AR will scare people more than a Garand.

As far as ammo is concerned, AK ammo (7.62x39) is probably the cheapest on the market. On the other hand, Garand ammo (.30-06 and .308) are at least twice more per round. It's a better round but isn't worth twice as much.

If you want power, I'd get an AK with a folding stock. If you decide you need more accuracy, I'd get an AR with a short barrel and a folding stock. If you want both, then go for an M1A with a shorter barrel and a folding stock (expensive). Personally, I would buy something extremely compact if I thought I'd have to carry it.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »

Wonderful gun!  ;D
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Jeff L

• New JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
If it's for nastalgic purposes go for it, I wouldn't trust my life to one though.  As other have mentioned I would definitely go for the M14 instead, they are currently in service.

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »
Yonah offers a fair amount of reasonable advice (and thank you, Yonah), but I must take exception with this comment:  "The Garand was obsolete during WWII."

None other than George S. Patton called the M1-Garand "the greatest battlefield implement ever devised" (or some such statement like that).  The Garand absolutely outclassed every other standard issue infantry rifle used in the Second World War, whether on the Axis or the Allied side.

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
Yeah, you're right. The Garand was the best infantry rifle of the war; what I should have said is that infantry rifles were obsolete by WWII.

Offline ModernWarfare

• New JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
I have seen a number of M1A for sale with 10 round magazines... Can I get a 20 round magazine or do these strictly fire 10 rounds I was wondering because I am sure its the former but i wanna make sure.

In any case I will probably get a M14 or G3 and get a M1 Garand if I can't find either one for a good price.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:03:27 AM by ModernWarfare »

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
You're probably looking at M1A Garands. The M1A is the civilian version of the M14. You can buy high capacity magazines for these guns.

If you're looking for a .308 rifle, consider a Heckler and Koch MR762.

Offline MountainMan

• Full JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:53 AM »
M1 Garand is a grand ol rifle  ;D  G-d Bless your soul for investing in such a wonderful piece in American history.  It is also a great, accurate long range gun and has its place.. The .308 round is a powerful round and you can also find M1 Garands chambered in their original 30-06 round, which is even more devastating.

As for me , I am going to invest in new age tacti-coolish high tech battle rifles..  But, if I had the extra money to collect, I'd get an M-14 or M-1A which is superior in most ways to the Garand and is also an exceptional and historical gun.. The M-14 is what the military adopted after WWII to replace the Garand which had its limitations..  It was used by infantry units in the Vietnam War and was put into militay use in the late 1950s.  Many military snipers and other professional shooters still swear by the M-14 or M1A (civilan semi auto version).

Offline MrPatriot1776

• Full JTFer
    • YouTube Channel - MrPatriot1776
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »
Anyone bump fired this?
Patriots! Capitalists! Jews! Gentiles! Lovers of freedom! Subscribe to my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/MrPatriot1776

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
Did you buy it? Wood or polymer? This is a fantastic rifle, the best ever. For home defense, however, stick with a 12 gage shotgun
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Garrett

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »
For home defense, however, stick with a 12 gauge shotgun

I agree with this 100%

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
I really need one too! But this damn gun controle...  >:(

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
I really need one too! But this damn gun controle...  >:(

how bad it is in Germany? What can you own? I know that nazi immediately banned gun ownership when they came to power.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline MountainMan

• Full JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
As much as I love the Garand and M1A for their historical value and rustic, traditional appearance, yes they are pretty guns, I will say if SHTF ditch these guns and get yourself one of these:

This is the DPMS LR-308.  It is an AR-10 configuration rifle chambered in the .308 caliber with a 24 inch stainless steel bull barrel for long range accuracy.  Thes guns are compatible with SR-25 style 20 rnd .308 magazines.  They have reported that these guns are as accurate to 1000 yards with proper ammunition as any bolt rifle.  Probably more accurate, considering you don't have to c0ck the bolt after each shot.

This is my gun of choice along with a good Nightforce NXS-15 scope.  I am ready for the arabic/urdu/pashto/farsi speaking zombies when they come to my house..

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
As much as I love the Garand and M1A for their historical value and rustic, traditional appearance, yes they are pretty guns, I will say if SHTF ditch these guns and get yourself one of these:

This is the DPMS LR-308.  It is an AR-10 configuration rifle chambered in the .308 caliber with a 24 inch stainless steel bull barrel for long range accuracy.  Thes guns are compatible with SR-25 style 20 rnd .308 magazines.  They have reported that these guns are as accurate to 1000 yards with proper ammunition as any bolt rifle.  Probably more accurate, considering you don't have to c0ck the bolt after each shot.

This is my gun of choice along with a good Nightforce NXS-15 scope.  I am ready for the arabic/urdu/farsi speaking zombies when they come to my house..
Sadly I think arabic/urdu/farsi speaking zombies will be the last of our problems here in America. I actually fear that what may come a knocking might be a lot closer to home.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline MountainMan

• Full JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »
Oh yeah forgot the afro zombies too..  Well, I don't know if you realize this, but they found an Al Queda training camp right here in the Pacific Northwest that was being used to train some of the most notorious men right under our noses.  YOu think with all the muslims in this country, that you will not have to confront them sooner or later?  A good Jewish friend of mine had his life threatened by a Palestinain woman who lived in same town is him.   He is at the shooting range every week preparing for the confrontation with her and her sand N*gro raghead cousins , uncles , brothers.    YOur enemy is never far away.

So, on that note, buy a gun that has maximum effectiveness for the price, not one that has the most historical value or the best collector's item.

BTW... If your faced with a raghead zombie attack.. forget the shotgun.. You will need something that has high capacity, good penetration and has minimum recovery time between shots.  That is, you want to be able to get off as many rounds as possible.   A .308 would be great for mid range combat, lets say the ragheads are approaching your hosue from 50 yards away.  However, when the jihadists get too close, thats when its time to bust out the AR-15s with 62-70grain hollow point/ballistic tip defense type rounds.  These type of cartridges will generally kill a raghead on contact..  And, will allow for fast follow up shots, due to lesser recoil.    Our soldiers are stuck using mediocre M855 green tip stuff that is not very effective in expanding and usually will not kill an enemy without pumping 3 or 4 well placed shots into the target.  However, civilians are not limited to low grade ammo like our soldiers are.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:04:26 PM by MountainMan »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
They are very sharp looking guns and I am sure that they will serve far better than an old M1A. Here on Long Island  NY everything is very close together and there is no need for accuracy of more then a few hundred feet in any direction. I tend to think for distance like that a 12 gauge pump or even a double barrel shot gun would be a very good deterrent. The wide swat that a gun like that cuts usually sets all but the most determined animal running.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
You rifle is sweet! I used to own Kel Tech SU-16a rifle and did not really like it. It jammed alot and I think 5.56 calibre is just too lacking stopping power.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/big/su16A_01.jpg

My next rifle should be SOCOM M14 riflie 7.62mm, something like that:
http://www.m1arifles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/m1a-socom-ii-rifle.jpg

Shotguns are great for home defense - you have 8 rounds and the clicking noise that they make is enough to dissuade most intruders.

I also like Magpul Masada and perhaps I will get the new bulpup Tavor in 5.56 or 7.62, if available.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot