Author Topic: Noahide Laws  (Read 6353 times)

NoahideGentile

Noahide Laws
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:37:11 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if theres any true followers of the Noahide laws (laws made for gentiles-only). There is only 7 simple laws to follow
The seven laws listed by the Talmud are[6]
Prohibition of Idolatry: - You shall not make for yourself an idol.
Prohibition Murder: - You shall not murder.
Prohibition of Theft: - You shall not steal.
Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: - You shall not commit adultery.
Prohibition of Blasphemy: - You shall not blaspheme.
Prohibition of Cruelty to Animals: - Do not eat the flesh of a living animal.
Requirement to have just Laws: - You shall set up an effective government to police the preceding six laws.

NoahideGentile

Re: Noahide Laws
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:34:42 PM »
well I am new to the faith but I am still learning. I learend it recently a month or two ago from here:

http://www.ahavat-israel.com/am/goyim.php

NoahideGentile

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:54:01 PM »
I was googling around about more information on Noahide laws and the followers such as righteous gentiles.  I am glad I found these forums, I have similiar beliefs and views as you do.

I am sorry if I come off as an extermist. But I have preached the Noahide way in christian chatrooms and have been rejected time after time, not even one person wanted to join me. But that is okay, since one day the movement will consume christianity itself.

Offline Until Shiloh Comes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »
I am sorry if I come off as an extermist. But I have preached the Noahide way in christian chatrooms and have been rejected time after time, not even one person wanted to join me. But that is okay, since one day the movement will consume christianity itself.

G-d willing.

I too am a Noahide under Rabbincal supervision, and former Christian.   Asknoah.org is an invaluable resource for anyone looking for a true spiritual path to the one true G-d of the Universe.
Psalm 53:2 "The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no G-D.'"

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:49:41 AM »
Rabbi Kahane and Chaim preach Noahidism? I have never heard of this before. I thought they did not particularly care what faith Gentiles are so long as they lead moral lifesytles and honor Israel.

Offline Zionist Revolutionary

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »
As far as I know, they do not preach Noahidism.  Chaim has said on many occasions that he doesn't tell Christians how to live religiously.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 01:30:30 AM »
I know that. That is why I was a bit confused as to when Yacov said Jimmy Sullivan was inspired by CBP and RMK to become a Noahide. How did they inspire him?

Actually... I don't really know what Noahidism is to be perfectly honest. Isn't it like a simplified form of Orthodox Judaism?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:06:31 AM »
Noahidism isnt a religion, its just the moral Laws that mankind has to keep in accordince with G-ds will and laws brought down first to Adam the first man (6 laws) + 1 more to Noah = 7 Noahide laws. they have been more clarified and officially written in the Torah that was given at Mt. Sinai and then also discussed in the Talmud, Rishonim, etc.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:12:32 AM »
"If a Noahide who follows the Seven Universal Laws gives charity, the Israelites accept it from him, and give it to the poor of Israel since through the merit of giving charity to the poor among the Jewish people one is given life by G-d and saved from death. But a Gentile who does not accept the yoke of the Seven Noahide Laws and gives charity is not permitted to give it to the needy of Israel. His charity may be given only to poor Gentiles."
http://www.ahavat-israel.com/am/goyim.php

interesting law. I think it is problamatic expecially if the doner is an athiest or keeps the laws because they seem good for holding a society and not as Commandments (divine decree).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Fruit of thy loins

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 03:53:06 AM »
Is the prohibition against adultery or against sexual acts in general?  If so what are the prohibited sexual acts?

Every white woman deserves the black man of her dreams.  But what does every white man deserve?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 02:57:41 PM »
I would trust the info from asknoah.com more than the other site. Unfortunately among the little information available on Noahidism there is also a great deal of mis-information.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »
Chaimfan, no one has ever preached Noahidism on this forum.  You are right that all Chaim cares about is people being righteous.  However, Chaim has mentioned that Jimmy Sullivan is a Noahide, but I don't remember how that came about, probably in response to one of Yacov's questions about Noahides. 

NoahideGentile

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 06:22:34 PM »
aren't the jews also sons of Noah?

Allen-T

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
As a Christian I can say that both Rabbi Kahane and Chaim Ben Pesach have been an influence and inspiration to me in them just being themselves, doing what they do/did. I guess the biggest influence has been their application of the Bible in their lives as relates to fighting evil not just in prayer but in practical, physical ways. Too many Christians seem to rely only on prayer. My wife always says about both men "wow, I never hear people talk this way, sooooo honest". I think Christians sometimes compromise honesty from being overly obsessed with not offending anyone. But this is not good. I feel I am getting a much needed sense of balance and perspective from the whole JDL/JTF alliance that I pray will have some eternal application. I feel I am becoming a better Christian because of it.       

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 07:37:47 PM »
Chaimfan, no one has ever preached Noahidism on this forum.  You are right that all Chaim cares about is people being righteous.  However, Chaim has mentioned that Jimmy Sullivan is a Noahide, but I don't remember how that came about, probably in response to one of Yacov's questions about Noahides. 
Lisa, I know nobody has. I was referring to this post by Yacov:
Quote from: Yacov
Jimmy left Christianity to become a Noahide. He was inspired by the great Rabbi Meir Kahane and our very own Chaim Ben Pesach.
I wanted to know what he meant by "inspired by".

Chaimfan

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 07:47:41 PM »
Jimmy left Christianity to become a Noahide. He was inspired by the great Rabbi Meir Kahane and our very own Chaim Ben Pesach.
I wanted to know what he meant by "inspired by".

Chaimfan, thanks a good question for Yacov or Jimmy directly.  I think I remember Jimmy once posting something to the effect of Rabbi Kahane and Chaim "straightening him out" when he was going through a difficult time in his life.  In terms of becoming a Noahide, my guess is that it's one alternative to converting to Judaism, which is a difficult, lengthy process.  But that's just my guess. 

ftf

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 08:24:47 PM »
As a Christian I do my best to follow those laws anyway...

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 10:55:59 PM »
if Chaim and Rav Kahane did "preach", then whats the big deal? I think that being a light unto the nations means exactly just that. I also saw the Chabad at QC give out pamphlets to non-Jews about the 7 noahide laws which is a great Kiddush Hashe-m and a mitzva.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »
To Noachide Gentile:

Yes the Jews are also the son of Noah. But they are also the son's of Israel (aka Jacob) hence we Jews are called Bnei Yisrael (the sons of Jacob/Israel).

In truth every human being is a Noahide by birth, and it doesn't matter what you're observance level is.  The only question is are you a Noachide Chassid i.e. are you a Noachide who follows the Noachide commandments.

Another interesting thing:
While some people look at the Noachide laws and think they are obvious or easy, there is more to them than meets they eye. For instance, one of the laws is to establish "courts of justice", now this looks like it's already taken care of. However, commentaries explain that not just any courts are good enough. The court's should be courts based specifically on the Noachide commandments.

So it is really the Noachide's job to somehow campaign and have the courts legal framework be based on enforcing the Noachide laws.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »
There's much more to it than meets the eye.  It is a process of spiritual purification.  Even experiencing despair is a transgression according to the Ask Noah site.  Noahide rules are really hard to follow.  That is why most gentiles will cling to Jesus because in Christian theology Jesus has already saved them from their sins and they can sit back and 'live like the devil', getting the best of this and the next world.

'Despair has no true existence, for it denies G-d's mercy, as well as His ability to alter the laws of nature or to intervene in history. The prophets of Israel taught that G-d seeks the repentance of Jews and non-Jews alike. [Jonah 4:11; Jeremiah 18:8] In a sense, this is the entire purpose of creation.

... Despair is the antithesis of faith. When one truly considers that everything is in G-d's hands and that everything is for the ultimate good, it is possible to be happy in all circumstances. Thus, the Talmud relates that a certain Sage ... would habitually remark, "This, too, is for the good." [4] '

http://www.asknoah.org/HTML/righteous_tradition.html
Every white woman deserves the black man of her dreams.  But what does every white man deserve?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 06:06:30 AM »
If adopting the philosophy that everything happens because G-d wants it to is right (and it's the philosophy that I tend towards mostly), then that means that the famous Jewish instinct for seeking social justice and social change in the world is in reality unJewish.  Hear, hear.  :D 

Fatalism is next to G-dliness.    The Slavic peoples are fatalistic and are great psychologists.

Allen-T

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 06:19:59 AM »
There's much more to it than meets the eye.  It is a process of spiritual purification.  Even experiencing despair is a transgression according to the Ask Noah site.  Noahide rules are really hard to follow.  That is why most gentiles will cling to Jesus because in Christian theology Jesus has already saved them from their sins and they can sit back and 'live like the devil', getting the best of this and the next world.

'Despair has no true existence, for it denies G-d's mercy, as well as His ability to alter the laws of nature or to intervene in history. The prophets of Israel taught that G-d seeks the repentance of Jews and non-Jews alike. [Jonah 4:11; Jeremiah 18:8] In a sense, this is the entire purpose of creation.

... Despair is the antithesis of faith. When one truly considers that everything is in G-d's hands and that everything is for the ultimate good, it is possible to be happy in all circumstances. Thus, the Talmud relates that a certain Sage ... would habitually remark, "This, too, is for the good." [4] '

http://www.asknoah.org/HTML/righteous_tradition.html

Fruit, the Christian scriptures make it very clear that a Christian cannot do what you say, "living like the devil" and in fact there are examples where Apostle Paul addresses the fact that there were those that were doing just that and it is in fact a sin and NOT CONDONED. If you want the verses let me know. 

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 09:31:39 AM »
Fruit, the Christian scriptures make it very clear that a Christian cannot do what you say, "living like the devil" and in fact there are examples where Apostle Paul addresses the fact that there were those that were doing just that and it is in fact a sin and NOT CONDONED. If you want the verses let me know. 

Hi Allen-T.

I think you are right about some Christian groups, but there are many, especially in Europe, which long ago abandoned themselves to hedonism and even irreligiousness.  There are of course warped Jewish groups too.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »
Good intro courtesy of www.bneinoach.org

What is a Noachide?
A Noachide (Noahide, or Noahite) is anyone that is not a Jew. All Gentiles are Noachides.

How does someone become a Noachide?
Someone becomes a Noachide by being born with a non-Jewish mother. There is no "conversion" process. You do not "join", get "converted", etc. It is simple. If you are not a Jew then you are a Noachide.

Where can I get information on what Noachides believe?
What you have asked is a very broad question. Since all Gentiles are Noachides the spectrum of their beliefs is broad as the earth.

Now, if you mean "observant Noachides", that is, Noachides that accept the teachings of Torah, then the very best source of information anywhere on the Web is at AskNoah.

There are many Questions and Answers, plus the excellent United Noahide Academy with its staff of very learned Rabbis and Torah scholars.

Where can I receive instruction on Noachide laws?
The very best place to get instruction on Noachide laws is from your local Rabbi. It should be an Orthodox rabbi. A list of Chabad Centers can be found at Chabad.Org and, in my opinion, there is no better source for instruction on Noachide beliefs or Jewish beliefs.

If a local rabbi is not available then the best advice I can give is to join the NoachideChassid Yahoo group where you can ask questions of Orthodox Rabbis.

Is there a place where I can discuss this subject with others?
There is a sister group to the NoachideChassid Yahoo Group called NoachsNeighborhood. It is a great place to exchange ideas and comments about the path of the righteous gentile.

What is B'nei Noach?
The term "B'nei Noach" means "children of Noach" (or Noah).

It may be spelled in various ways depending on one's pronunciation.

It could be B'nai No'ach, Ben Noah, etc. B'nei (b'nai, ben and so forth) mean "children of" or "child of" in Hebrew.

Is this a type of Judaism?
No, B'nei Noach is not a "type" of Judaism.
However the way we live and worship G-d is revealed through Torah.

Since G-d gave Torah to the world through the Jewish people making them the stewards of His Word it is from Jewish teachers and scholars we learn our duties as Noachides.

(Most importantly is that we learn from Orthodox teachers.)

What is the difference between Noachides and Judaism?
Noachides are B'nei Noach, children of Noach; Jews are B'nei Yisrael, children of Israel.

Although they, too, descend from Noach they have a special covenant with HaShem calling them out and assigning them greater responsibilities.

Jews have a larger, more strict set of commandments than Noachides.

Are Christians Noachides?
Unless they are Jewish either by having been born to a Jewish mother or by converting to Judaism then they are, by definition, Noachides.

If you mean are they Noachide Chassid or Torah observant Noachides then the answer would be no.

What about Moslems? Or Buddhists?
The answer is the same; unless someone has a Jewish mother or has gone through conversion with an Orthodox rabbi then they are Noachides. However they are not Noachide Chassids.

What is a Noachide Chassid?
Per Rabbi Yossi Markel, "A Noachide Chassid believes in the whole Torah and is committed to keeping his part of it."

Why wouldn't a Christian be a Noachide Chassid? They believe the Bible.
Christians believe a bible but not the Bible, that is, Tanach. Also they are not committed to keeping the commandments G-d has given to Noachides.

If anything they claim their obligation is to keeping the "Ten Commandments".

What commandments should Noachides keep?
First let us do away with the word "commandments" and use the Hebrew term.

The word "mitzvah" which is often translated "commandment" means much more. It basically means "connection" and through the keeping of mitzvos we make a connection with G-d.

The more we keep them the greater our connection. The more often we break them the more we break that blessed connection to Almighty.

There are Seven Mitzvos which Noachides are instructed to keep.

These are more like categories rather than individual "commandments". They are:

1. Do not worship idols;
       2. Do not blaspheme;
       3. Do not murder;
       4. Do not have forbidden relations;
       5. Do not steal;
       6. Do not eat flesh taken from a living animal; and
       7. Do not forsake the creation of courts and laws to enforce these.

These are the Sheva Mitzvos B'nei Noach, the Seven Laws of the Children of Noach.