Author Topic: The Core of Moral Values  (Read 892 times)

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
The Core of Moral Values
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

Here is a question that I have been struggling to comprehend for some time. There are several people that I know who seem to be what would be called Righteous People. They are honest, hard working, care about others, anti abortion, and willing to help another person out, even at serious inconvenience to themselves.

At first glace you would say, "So what is the Problem and confusion" So here is the confusion

They do not believe in anything spiritual. they claim to believe that it is simply a logical choice to be compassionate to others and ti be good people. I  admit to not being the most observant Jew, but do strongly believe in the spiritual world and its impact on us. so,  I am at am a loss to understand people who make this claim.

Do you think that these are people who may slowly be finding their path or do you think that people can be atheist and good people at the same time?

Thanks for your perspective.

"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: The Core of Moral Values
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
It depends which religion you follow. It's as simple as that.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
It's enormously tragic if anybody is an atheist.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »

Says a religious person. If there's no religion in somebody's life, then what other rules are there aside from government/constitution laws?

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »

Says a religious person. If there's no religion in somebody's life, then what other rules are there aside from government/constitution laws?

I have heard the argument that cooperation and compassion have evolved in our genetics to protect the species as a whole. It is these rules that are followed, as per the people who think this way.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »

I have heard the argument that cooperation and compassion have evolved in our genetics to protect the species as a whole. It is these rules that are followed, as per the people who think this way.

Some people have no idea what those rules are.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »
It is possible to be a 'nice person' without spirituality but there is no way to be 'righteous'... Righteousness requires the belief in Hashem, the master creator, because righteousness is defined by the ability to emulate the creator. This is what gives us the commandment to visit the sick, to give charity to the poor, to protect the orphan and the widow.

There is no way to be righteous without G-d. Every other 'good' act is purely for self interest.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »

Some people have no idea what those rules are.

'Cooperation and Compassion have evolved into our genetics'!?!? Tell that to the Nazi bastards and the Christian mobs who killed the Jewish people. There is also a genetic component to the vile evil which humanity is capable of.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
This we read in the Torah last Shabbat:

Devarim 10:12-23
12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy G-d require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy G-d, to walk in all His ways, and to love Him, and to serve the LORD thy G-d with all thy heart and with all thy soul;  13 to keep for thy good the commandments of the LORD, and His statutes, which I command thee this day?  14 Behold, unto the LORD thy G-d belongeth the heaven, and the heaven of heavens, the earth, with all that therein is.  15 Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and He chose their seed after them, even you, above all peoples, as it is this day.  16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.  17 For the LORD your G-d, He is G-d of gods, and Lord of lords, the great G-d, the mighty, and the awesome, who regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward.  18 He doth execute justice for the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.  19 Love ye therefore the stranger; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.  20 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy G-d; Him shalt thou serve; and to Him shalt thou cleave, and by His name shalt thou swear.  21 He is thy glory, and He is thy G-d, that hath done for thee these great and tremendous things, which thine eyes have seen.  22 Thy fathers went down into Egypt with threescore and ten persons; and now the LORD thy G-d hath made thee as the stars of heaven for multitude.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:35:35 PM by muman613 »