Author Topic: Are Americans thinking like Hindus?  (Read 13453 times)

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Are Americans thinking like Hindus?
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:00:33 AM »
America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

The Rig Veda, the most ancient Hindu scripture, says this: "Truth is One, but the sages speak of it by many names." A Hindu believes there are many paths to God. Jesus is one way, the Qur'an is another, yoga practice is a third. None is better than any other; all are equal. The most traditional, conservative Christians have not been taught to think like this. They learn in Sunday school that their religion is true, and others are false. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me."

Americans are no longer buying it. According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe that "many religions can lead to eternal life"—including 37 percent of white evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs alone. Also, the number of people who seek spiritual truth outside church is growing. Thirty percent of Americans call themselves "spiritual, not religious," according to a 2009 NEWSWEEK Poll, up from 24 percent in 2005. Stephen Prothero, religion professor at Boston University, has long framed the American propensity for "the divine-deli-cafeteria religion" as "very much in the spirit of Hinduism. You're not picking and choosing from different religions, because they're all the same," he says. "It isn't about orthodoxy. It's about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that's great, too."

Then there's the question of what happens when you die. Christians traditionally believe that bodies and souls are sacred, that together they comprise the "self," and that at the end of time they will be reunited in the Resurrection. You need both, in other words, and you need them forever. Hindus believe no such thing. At death, the body burns on a pyre, while the spirit—where identity resides—escapes. In reincarnation, central to Hinduism, selves come back to earth again and again in different bodies. So here is another way in which Americans are becoming more Hindu: 24 percent of Americans say they believe in reincarnation, according to a 2008 Harris poll. So agnostic are we about the ultimate fates of our bodies that we're burning them—like Hindus—after death. More than a third of Americans now choose cremation, according to the Cremation Association of North America, up from 6 percent in 1975. "I do think the more spiritual role of religion tends to deemphasize some of the more starkly literal interpretations of the Resurrection," agrees Diana Eck, professor of comparative religion at Harvard. So let us all say "om."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/212155?GT1=43002_

-----------------------

Let me make it clear the intention of me posting this article. I dont want to suggest that Americans are becoming Hindus and that i'm any proud. 

America should preserve its American heritage and tradition, it is because of the loosers missionaries and ministers who are coming in Israel and India to convert non-Christians in non-Chrisitian countries are the root of all problem. If these people had concentrated their energies on saving AMerica and UK, this article wouldnt have come up!

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
Re: Are Americans thinking like Hindus?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:43 AM »
I sincerely hope America finds its "Christen" base and culture again.  This progression towards embracing all "enlightened" ideologies has contributed greatly to drive America down the toilet.  G-d I wish "When in Rome" thought would be embraced again. 
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
I really find it problematic if Hindus really consider the Koran a legitimate "path to G-d".

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »
Reincarnation is not a solely hindu idea... Judaism has had the concept of reincarnation, called Gilgul, since the beginning of Jewish thought.

There will never cease to be a remnant of Israel which the whole world will embrace when Moshiach comes. I heard last night a Rabbi explain the eternal nature of the Jewish nation and the blessings we will bring to the world in the future.

It doesn't really matter to the Jewish narrative what the nations of the world think or do. When the time of Moshiach comes they will put down their idols and acknowledge the true G-d of Israel.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
I really find it problematic if Hindus really consider the Koran a legitimate "path to G-d".
The entire concept of Hinduism is perplexing.  In my opinion, like Islam holding back the Middle Eastern peoples from progressing into the first world or the cultures of Black Africa keeping them in the stone age, Hinduism, Buddhism and these other Eastern Philosophies have kept these peoples back as well. 

My apologies, if anyone is "offended" by if it weren't for the British, India today would be a backwater dirty place where tourists would roast marshmallows on the flames of the Sati offering...
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
The entire concept of Hinduism is perplexing.  In my opinion, like Islam holding back the Middle Eastern peoples from progressing into the first world or the cultures of Black Africa keeping them in the stone age, Hinduism, Buddhism and these other Eastern Philosophies have kept these peoples back as well. 

My apologies, if anyone is "offended" by if it weren't for the British, India today would be a backwater dirty place where tourists would roast marshmallows on the flames of the Sati offering...

Before the British came, India was far from a backwater dirty place.  Hindus have greatly contibuted to the canon of Western Knowledge, and have long been known to be a very smart group.

Sati was not very common, and was only done in certain regions, so to hold all Hindus accountable for that is like holding all all Jews accountable for the actions of Reform sickos.

I really hope you don't support British colonialism, as we saw what it did in Eretz Yisrael, and the Rav talked about how sickening these people were.

And you are correct that Hinduism is quite perplexing.  That being said, don't you think that such a perplexing religion must be examined deeply to pass any serious judgment upon it?

I have heard your sentiments about Hindus repeated, only about Jews, and how their religion has "held them back".  The real question is what you mean be "being held back", as this is a very secular idea.  Secular JEws claim that religious Jews are "being held back" because they don't share the same values as them. 

Lastly, perhaps the most important contribution of the Brits to India is the introduction of Western Liberalism, which to that point Hindus were completely unfamiliar with.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
Hinduism is a very interesting philosophy. That's all I really have to say. Any Hindu though that has any kind of "understanding" for Muzzies is a self-hater.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »
Hinduism is a very interesting philosophy. That's all I really have to say. Any Hindu though that has any kind of "understanding" for Muzzies is a self-hater.

You are absolutely right about that one, but I think understanding is the wrong word.  I think most people on this forum have a full understanding of Islam- that is, that it is a death cult.  But I completely understand your sentiments.

But one has to make sure not to lump good Hindus in with these self-haters.  This is as bad as those who would try to lump me in with Reform Jews.

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
I think, like the Jew, the Hindu might well learn his/her own history especially concerning the Islamic conquest beginning during the period of the ascendancy of the Rajput Kingdoms in North India, from the 7th century onwards of which today's Gypsies stem.  Further, the main substance of Muhammadan conquests from 11th to the 17th centuries under such notables warlords as Tamerlane would suggest the Hindu work as hard as possible to "transfer" the Muslim savages from all lands of the Hind.....including Pakistan ;-)

I know, I am an intolerant extremist.  I think the pillars of Hindu Skulls piled high by our visiting Muhammadan friends is a very progressive aspect of Islam's peace and tolerant past....

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »

you dont have much idea about india's history. Many British historicans like Max Muller have stated many times that India had lot of materialistic wealth as well as spiritual. British came here to steal the wealth, and not to guide people. And of course if you feel the British who came to india were civilized westerners or righteous gentiles, then you are ignorant. Pls find where did prostitution, liquor, and opium came to India from.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »
Personally I think Hindus are good people but I cannot accept anyone who believes and worships idols. This is 100% counter to the Jewish belief. Idols of wood, stone, and metal have no power. All power rests in the hands of the One, the Holy One, Creator of heaven and earth, and all that is in it.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »

Before the British came, India was far from a backwater dirty place.  Hindus have greatly contibuted to the canon of Western Knowledge, and have long been known to be a very smart group.

Sati was not very common, and was only done in certain regions, so to hold all Hindus accountable for that is like holding all all Jews accountable for the actions of Reform sickos.

I really hope you don't support British colonialism, as we saw what it did in Eretz Yisrael, and the Rav talked about how sickening these people were.

And you are correct that Hinduism is quite perplexing.  That being said, don't you think that such a perplexing religion must be examined deeply to pass any serious judgment upon it?

I have heard your sentiments about Hindus repeated, only about Jews, and how their religion has "held them back".  The real question is what you mean be "being held back", as this is a very secular idea.  Secular JEws claim that religious Jews are "being held back" because they don't share the same values as them. 

Lastly, perhaps the most important contribution of the Brits to India is the introduction of Western Liberalism, which to that point Hindus were completely unfamiliar with.
thank you for clarifying it to MarZutra :)

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
Personally I think Hindus are good people but I cannot accept anyone who believes and worships idols. This is 100% counter to the Jewish belief and we are to smash idols.
not all Hindus pray to idols, and not all hindus consider idol as G-d. the true hindu sage/saint in hindu religion does not even require a temple to offer his/her service to G-d. Bakti i.e. Meditation and chanting of mantras are considered the highest service.

I do believe the messiah or avatar(as we call it) is going to come to defeat the unrigtheous.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »
Personally I think Hindus are good people but I cannot accept anyone who believes and worships idols. This is 100% counter to the Jewish belief and we are to smash idols.
not all Hindus pray to idols, and not all hindus consider idol as G-d. the true hindu sage/saint is religion does not even require a temple to offer his/her service to G-d. Bakti i.e. Meditation and chanting of mantras are considered the highest service.

Does your religion believe that there is only one supreme being? Do you only worship to this Master of the Universe? My discussions with my hindu friends indicates it is not a simple question... There are gods which have various powers under the master G-d... These gods are idols...

Also could you answer what it is your G-d wants from you?

PS: I am not looking for argument... I also don't intend any offense... I have understanding, and get along with, people from all backgrounds...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
For the Jewish perspective one should read Parasha Eikev where this is written:

http://www.ravkooktorah.org/EKEV63.htm

Eikev: What Does God Want of You?

The Torah clearly expects us to feel both love and awe for God:

"And now, Israel, what does God want of you? Only that you remain in awe of the Lord your God, following in all His paths and loving Him." [Deut. 10:12]

What is awe of God? Why is this trait so important?

Two Types of Awe

Awe exists on different levels. The qualities of "yirat shamayim"  (awe of Heaven) and "yirat cheit" (literally, 'fear of sin', but better translated as 'repulsion from sin') share the same root. "Yirat shamayim" is theoretical, in the mind and heart. "Yirat cheit", on the other hand, is practical, in deed and action. As a result of our perception of God's greatness, we feel reverence towards Him - "yirat shamayim" - and are acutely aware of the repugnance of sin - "yirat cheit".

(There is a third type of fear, "yirat onesh" - 'fear of punishment'. However, this trait reflects a weak personality; it is not a beneficial trait that should be emulated.)

Love and Awe

Love and Awe are opposite traits. The positive attraction to good and holiness inevitably leads us to wisdom and love. The negative revulsion from all that is evil and defiling purifies our thoughts and actions. These are converse traits, yet they are interconnected. Because of our attraction to good, we are repelled by evil; and by avoiding evil, we remain on the path of life, directed towards positive aspirations and yearnings.

The Sages disagreed on the basic question: which is the more important trait? Which quality is greater - love of God, or awe of Heaven?

The Talmud [Shabbat 31b] relates that once Rabbi Elazar and Rabbi Simon were sitting together, when a third scholar passed by. Rabbi Elazar told Rabbi Simon, 'Let us stand up out of respect for this God-fearing individual.' Rabbi Simon replied, 'Let us stand up for this Torah scholar.' Rabbi Elazar retorted, 'I mentioned his greater quality - that he is God-fearing - and you insist on emphasizing a lesser one!'

According to Rabbi Elazar, awe of Heaven is the more fundamental trait. He would often say, "God has only awe of heaven in His world." He further declared that awe of God is the basis of all wisdom; in fact, it is the only true wisdom in the world. What does this mean?

...  Read more @ http://www.ravkooktorah.org/EKEV63.htm

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
not all Hindus pray to idols, and not all hindus consider idol as G-d. the true hindu sage/saint is religion does not even require a temple to offer his/her service to G-d. Bakti i.e. Meditation and chanting of mantras are considered the highest service.

Does your religion believe that there is only one supreme being? Do you only worship to this Master of the Universe? My discussions with my hindu friends indicates it is not a simple question... There are gods which have various powers under the master G-d... These gods are idols...
muman bro this article will give you an idea. In this link there is no idol/symbolism.. so you can go through the text without any hesitation.
http://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/knowledge/index.php?print/id:161

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »

Also could you answer what it is your G-d wants from you?

PS: I am not looking for argument... I also don't intend any offense... I have understanding, and get along with, people from all backgrounds...

thank you. the aim of religious hindus is to get moksha(liberation from the cycle of birth,death,reincarnation) and to uplift our soul to spiritual enlightenment. For which taking the holy name of god throughout one's life and living life according to "Gita" or as ordained by one's spiritual masters is neccessary.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
America really needs to get back to it's Judeo-Christian belief and fast.  At the rate America is going it is losing its identity.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »

muman bro this article will give you an idea. In this link there is no idol/symbolism.. so you can go through the text without any hesitation.
http://www.hindujagruti.org/hinduism/knowledge/index.php?print/id:161

Brother HinduZionist,

From what I read at that site I do believe that according to Judaism it is Idolatry...

We don't believe that Hashem has any form, substance, color, odor, or body... What does this mean?

C. Name and form of the manifest form: When G-d manifests Himself He carries out His mission assuming a form and a Name like Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Prajapati, Minakshi, etc. Even the complexion of every form is predetermined. Some examples are enlisted below.
    Complexion     Meaning of the complexion
1. Shiva    White    Absolute purity
2. Vishnu    Blue, yellowish green
(rarely)    Divine blue water*, divine blue
dot, crimson colour, prosperity
3. Brahma    White with a yellow or
saffron tinge    Beginning of spiritual
experiences
4. Prajapati    Dark blue    Limitless, vast, divine, eternal
5. Minakshi    Various colours like
yellow, blue, black etc.    Principle of the feminine form
According to Jewish belief the fact that Hinduism believes that the Creator has a physical manifestation makes it idolatry. We believe he is without form, infinite, and unknowable..
it is telling us that he is formless, but can manifest. in the gita it says the highest mode to worship him is in his formless nature. the philosophy might be complex. But my request to you is, dont generalize all hindus as idol worshippers. I dont want you to learn about hindu philosohpy, as you are a jew, i have great admiration for that. And also have no doubt in my mind that a religious jew will certainly attain Moksha :)

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
America really needs to get back to it's Judeo-Christian belief and fast.  At the rate America is going it is losing its identity.
yes for that to happen, all the missionaries from israel and india need to be deported to America. First stop the Sin City flourishing in America, rather than worrying about Hindu tribals.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »
HZ,

I certainly respect your faith and I don't pass judgement on you or your beliefs... I also appreciate your understanding of the Jewish faith.

Thank you

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
yes for that to happen, all the missionaries from israel and india need to be deported to America. First stop the Sin City flourishing in America, rather than worrying about Hindu tribals.
Now this I totally agree with!  I'd like to see the Christian Missionaries go to Saudi in all honesty.  Let a few them be stoned, raped, and beheaded so the rest of America wakes up to the vileness of Islam. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
Muman, strictly speaking Hinduism doesn't believe in separate gds, it is a pantheism, so everything is G-d (Brahm) and G-d is everything. There are different faces of Brahm, such as Shiva, Kali, Ganesh, etc., but they aren't really separate, autonomous gds.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »
Reincarnation is not a solely hindu idea... Judaism has had the concept of reincarnation, called Gilgul, since the beginning of Jewish thought.

This is where I am confused. I've heard both versions. Either you live once and die, and your bones wait for the return of the Messiah and then grow flesh and become alive again. You you keep moving through different bodies through Gilgul. (Don't get offended, Hindu Zionist, but I heard that Hinduism got this idea from Judaism that has had it for thousands of years). So, what will it be? Will good people be reincarnated only once with the return of the Messiah or will everyone's soul transmigrate? Let's say that person A's soul transmigrated into person B into C ... and, eventually, Z. Then person Z died. And then the Messiah came. Whose bones will grow flesh again? Person A's? B's? ... Z's? All of them? But that's the same soul. Only one of them? So the other bones will lie in the ground unclaimed? What's the real story?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »

This is where I am confused. I've heard both versions. Either you live once and die, and your bones wait for the return of the Messiah and then grow flesh and become alive again. You you keep moving through different bodies through Gilgul. (Don't get offended, Hindu Zionist, but I heard that Hinduism got this idea from Judaism that has had it for thousands of years). So, what will it be? Will good people be reincarnated only once with the return of the Messiah or will everyone's soul transmigrate? Let's say that person A's soul transmigrated into person B into C ... and, eventually, Z. Then person Z died. And then the Messiah came. Whose bones will grow flesh again? Person A's? B's? ... Z's? All of them? But that's the same soul. Only one of them? So the other bones will lie in the ground unclaimed? What's the real story?

I think this discussion should be started in the Torah Ideas section instead of the General Discussion area...

At one time I started a thread with this topic... Let me see if I can find it...

http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php/topic,32707.msg333301.html#msg333301
http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php/topic,32707.msg333306.html#msg333306

This discusses double/quadruple gilgul...