Author Topic: JTF shabbaton/weekend retreat  (Read 1271 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
JTF shabbaton/weekend retreat
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »
I've been thinking this for a while. Can we pick a city/state to have a weekend together? We can make Shabbos in a hotel or resort complete with kosher food, davening, etc. We can have programs and things over the weekend complete with speakers etc. It might cost some dough, but it's worth it. It would be A LOT of fun.

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
Re: JTF shabbaton/weekend retreat
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
I've been thinking this for a while. Can we pick a city/state to have a weekend together? We can make Shabbos in a hotel or resort complete with kosher food, davening, etc. We can have programs and things over the weekend complete with speakers etc. It might cost some dough, but it's worth it. It would be A LOT of fun.

Dough?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »

Dough?

dough/bread/money

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »
That's a great idea!

However, it can't be expensive.  Some of us here are either unemployed or under-employed. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
That's a great idea!

However, it can't be expensive.  Some of us here are either unemployed or under-employed. 

So the Plaza Hotel is out of the question?

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »
That's a great idea!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm sorry but the plaza hotel?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:00:58 PM »
That's a great idea!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm sorry but the plaza hotel?

None of these either     http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6623605

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »
Yeah so I'm going to keep pushing for this until somebody notices.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:56:41 AM »
Mo,

It sounds like an excellent idea... But we know that many JTF members are spread across the world. I cannot attend in NY as I am on the west coast of America... And Im sure many others are in other countries...

How can we do so without causing people to drive or travel on Shabbat?

I wish it could be so... But I cannot imagine how...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 02:07:13 AM »
Mo,

It sounds like an excellent idea... But we know that many JTF members are spread across the world. I cannot attend in NY as I am on the west coast of America... And Im sure many others are in other countries...

We can have 3 at once. One in California, one in NY, and one in another city to be voted on. We can have some sort of satellite hook-up at some point. I mean, we already have JTF meetings, we can make a shabaton. I know a lot of people are spread out, but the reality is NY seems to be the JTF capital at this point, especially with Chaim living there and all. Sadly, not everybody would be able to attend if it's held in just one city. But, I can still dream, right?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:12:10 AM »
Mo,

We can have 3 at once. One in California, one in NY, and one in another city to be voted on. We can have some sort of satellite hook-up at some point. I mean, we already have JTF meetings, we can make a shabaton. I know a lot of people are spread out, but the reality is NY seems to be the JTF capital at this point, especially with Chaim living there and all. Sadly, not everybody would be able to attend if it's held in just one city. But, I can still dream, right?

I dont think a satellite hook-up on Shabbat would be ok.. But aside from that... Yes, we can try to do it and if we try hard enough we will accomplish it..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 02:20:52 AM »
Mo,

I dont think a satellite hook-up on Shabbat would be ok.. But aside from that... Yes, we can try to do it and if we try hard enough we will accomplish it..

Not on Shabbos! U know me better than that! LOL! :teach:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 02:23:51 AM »
Mo,

Not on Shabbos! U know me better than that! LOL! :teach:

Yes, I was just jesting... I shouldn't have. But I will ask for forgiveness... Please forgive me?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »
The way Shabbatons work is that a group of Jews get together at a hotel for the weekend, and walk to a nearby Synagogue for services.  They would pay for the hotel in advance. 

One place I can think of off the top of my head for a shabbaton would be the Andrew Hotel in Great Neck, NY.  The hotel is right across the street from the train station.  And it has the glatt kosher Persian restaurant Colbeh, which is closed on Saturdays.  I believe that on Shabbat, it's used as a makeshift Synagogue.  They definitely have Yom Kippur services there.  So it's quite possible they'll have Shabbat services too. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »
The way Shabbatons work is that a group of Jews get together at a hotel for the weekend, and walk to a nearby Synagogue for services.  They would pay for the hotel in advance. 

One place I can think of off the top of my head for a shabbaton would be the Andrew Hotel in Great Neck, NY.  The hotel is right across the street from the train station.  And it has the glatt kosher Persian restaurant Colbeh, which is closed on Saturdays.  I believe that on Shabbat, it's used as a makeshift Synagogue.  They definitely have Yom Kippur services there.  So it's quite possible they'll have Shabbat services too. 
Yes Colbeh is 100% kosher and it has good food
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »

No there doesn't have to be walking to a shul, we just have a Torah and make a minyan in the hotel.